What the FAA could do to make work suck less

Golf delta

Trusted Contributor
Okay, aside from the obvious topics we’ve discussed thousands of times over (transfer policy, general pay raises, staffing) what can the FAA do to improve controllers quality of life and morale?

I’ll go first, remove Sunday pay and make it 25% weekend pay. Friday 6pm - Monday 6am. This might improve weekend staffing (less bangs) and probably push some of the better days off down in seniority since some would still choose the money. Plus make people less salty about working weekends every single week.

Oh yeah I’m not saying it would ever happen, but workin Friday nights and Saturdays suck just as much as working Sundays… if not worse. Dumb that we only get it on Sundays.
I think it’s an old thing going back to church so it might not be a good thing to mess with. They’d be more likely to just take it away completely imo. I think they should just make a premium for when you are in position. That’s an easy way to give a raise without giving a raise

Make it so time on position is an additional 5-10%. Nothing insane, but it’ll incentivize people to work on position longer and gives new controllers more of an incentive to sit and work even when it’s dead thus giving the older controllers more well deserved breaks.

Make FLM’s get 2 hours of currency a day and up to 10 (account for 6 day work weeks) hours a week. This will allow them to set the standard for the National Training Initiative (showing that 8 hours is definitely obtainable) , it should help with the rotation, and help controllers get leave.

Fat Porrey here for RAZE WEN MVMNT…guess what the FAA could do to make work suck less…?

They could do it SUUN. They could do it NAU.

Brothers and sisters, the time is always right to join the legion behind RAZE WEN.tmp.gif

Okay, aside from the obvious topics we’ve discussed thousands of times over (transfer policy, general pay raises, staffing) what can the FAA do to improve controllers quality of life and morale?

I’ll go first, remove Sunday pay and make it 25% weekend pay. Friday 6pm - Monday 6am. This might improve weekend staffing (less bangs) and probably push some of the better days off down in seniority since some would still choose the money. Plus make people less salty about working weekends every single week.
Take that a step further and make it “non bankers hours” pay. Any work done outside of, let’s say 0700-1800 Mon-Fri pays at 25%.

Pay holidays at 150% or more. I don’t understand why the rest of the workforce gets holidays off but controllers that come in to work on their holiday(day off) only get 8hrs straight pay for it?

I think it’s an old thing going back to church so it might not be a good thing to mess with. They’d be more likely to just take it away completely imo. I think they should just make a premium for when you are in position. That’s an easy way to give a raise without giving a raise
Time on position pay is a horrible idea. You’ll have folks rotting on positions that should be closed just because they’re cheap and want the money, or opening it when not busy to grab some cash etc.

Make FLM’s get 2 hours of currency a day and up to 10 (account for 6 day work weeks) hours a week. This will allow them to set the standard for the National Training Initiative (showing that 8 hours is definitely obtainable) , it should help with the rotation, and help controllers get leave.
Sheeeesh this would make the NAS 20% less safe but is actually a legit idea I love it. They actually have to earn their pay lol

Time on position pay is a horrible idea. You’ll have folks rotting on positions that should be closed just because they’re cheap and want the money, or opening it when not busy to grab some cash etc.
Well the sup can still decide what should be open. It’s a good check in the FAA opening shit that shouldn’t be open which is what they are doing now

Pay holidays at 150% or more. I don’t understand why the rest of the workforce gets holidays off but controllers that come in to work on their holiday(day off) only get 8hrs straight pay for it?

We should absolutely make double time for working on the actual holiday, plus 8 hours holiday pay whether we work it or not. It’s insane we have to work Thanksgiving and Christmas every year for straight pay.

I’d like to see sanctioned early shoves for people on quick turns. Like if staffing and workload permit, let us sign out on excused an hour early, or 30 minutes, whatever. This is common sense that the flying public/taxpayers would support. Makes no sense if I’m not needed the last hour of my shift I have to sit there and watch tv in the break room and then drive home and get 6 hours of sleep and come back. People want us to be awake and alert when we’re controlling the plane they’re on.

Last edited:
I’d like to see sanctioned early shoves for people on quick turns. Like if staffing and workload permit, let us sign out on excused an hour early, or 30 minutes, whatever. This is common sense that the flying public/taxpayers would support. Makes no sense if I’m not needed the last hour of my shift I have to sit there and watch tv in the break room and then drive home and get 6 hours of sleep and come back. People want us to be awake and alert when we’re controlling the plane their on.
Supervisors can give up to 59 minutes of excused leave with no justification required

It’s insane we have to work Thanksgiving and Christmas every year for straight pay.
I don’t understand why the rest of the workforce gets holidays off but controllers that come in to work on their holiday(day off) only get 8hrs straight pay for it?
What are you talking about "straight pay"? You work 8 hours on a holiday and you get paid for 16.

If you're only getting paid 8 hours on the holiday itself that means the holiday itself is your RDO, so you're on overtime and you're earning time and a half... and you earned or will earn double time on your day in lieu. Or else you banged on your day in lieu and it got converted to free leave just like all the other non-essential workers get.

I’d say being able to progress upwards in the pay band a lot faster. It shouldnt take 20 years to go from bottom to top. At a level 4 that’d be a little over 20k raise and at a 12 around 50k.

Back
Top Bottom