What the FAA could do to make work suck less

I’d like to see sanctioned early shoves for people on quick turns. Like if staffing and workload permit, let us sign out on excused an hour early, or 30 minutes, whatever. This is common sense that the flying public/taxpayers would support. Makes no sense if I’m not needed the last hour of my shift I have to sit there and watch tv in the break room and then drive home and get 6 hours of sleep and come back. People want us to be awake and alert when we’re controlling the plane they’re on.
Didn't you choose to live that far away

Few years ago there was a rumor going around that some center doofus had a near-midair at 3am while jamming out playing his guitar, was this ever actually confirmed and where did it happen

These are probably the same people who complain they have to work for 1:15 after having a 2+ hour break (increasingly rare, I get it, but it does happen). Did people never actually work for a living before this job? I understand the wages aren't keeping up with our counterparts in the private sector, but FFS. Our job can be so damn cushy. I got paid $70+/hr last night to watch Netflix for two hours. What kind of job does that? Yes, it sucks sometimes, but most of the time it's pretty damn awesome.

That being said, I do feel for those stuck at the level 4's of the NAS. You have my thoughts and prayers.
^^^ bomber996 here for RAZE NEVR MVMNT.

JFC dude, did CoffeeIV lure you into his management SIMP club?

We get paid for what we *can* do, not what we are always doing. You realize a 777 Captain makes as much on a single englne go-around during windshear as he does while sleeping back in the crew rest at cruise?

This is such a laughable take “guys we get lots of breaks so we shouldn’t get paid more!” Many surgeons take every Friday off…that means they should get paid less because most other people work Friday and they don’t?

^^^ bomber996 here for RAZE NEVR MVMNT.

JFC dude, did CoffeeIV lure you into his management SIMP club?

We get paid for what we *can* do, not what we are always doing. You realize a 777 Captain makes as much on a single englne go-around during windshear as he does while sleeping back in the crew rest at cruise?

This is such a laughable take “guys we get lots of breaks so we shouldn’t get paid more!” Many surgeons take every Friday off…that means they should get paid less because most other people work Friday and they don’t?
Fat Porrey out here putting words in people mouths. I'm confused? Exactly where did I say we didn't deserve a raise?

100% we deserve a raise in line with the rest of the aviation industry. Where did I say we didn't?

What I am arguing against is the people who took this job knowing we work weekends, and nights, and holidays, and birthdays, and will still complain when we get holiday pay even if you don't work the holiday. They have lost sight of how amazing this job is. Listen, my freshman year of college I worked the flight line in North Dakota in -30F ambient fueling planes for $5.15/hr. I get it that that was 15+ years ago, but to those saying we're a minimum wage job now? Get fucked. Again, level 4 facilities, thoughts and prayers, etc...

We need a raise. We deserve a raise. We need some protection from the 6 day work weeks.

Enough?

Last edited:
Fat Porrey out here putting words in people mouths. I'm confused? Exactly where did I say we didn't deserve a raise?

100% we deserve a raise in line with the rest of the aviation industry. Where did I say we didn't?

What I am arguing against is the people who took this job knowing we work weekends, and nights, and holidays, and birthdays, and will still complain when we get holiday pay even if you don't work the holiday. They have lost sight of how amazing this job is. Listen, my freshman year of college I worked the flight line in North Dakota in -30F ambient fueling planes for $5.15/hr. I get it that that was 15+ years ago, but to those saying we're a minimum wage job now? Get fucked. Again, level 4 facilities, thoughts and prayers, etc...

We need a raise. We deserve a raise. We need some protection from the 6 day work weeks.

Enough?
Amen brother. Welcome to the RAZE WEN MVMNT!

What I am arguing against is the people who took this job knowing we work weekends, and nights, and holidays, and birthdays, and will still complain when we get holiday pay even if you don't work the holiday.
I don’t get this whole “you took the job knowing” argument. So you can never want things to be better than they were when you first get hired? Again, the entire federal workforce gets paid holidays off. We have to work on holidays and are offered 8 hours of straight time (above what everyone else gets) for our trouble. I’m saying there’s room for improvement there. I know people that work for state and local governments that make 2.5 and 3x on certain holidays. That would create an actual financial incentive and better morale to work on those holidays. Reread the title of this thread.

I don’t get this whole “you took the job knowing” argument. So you can never want things to be better than they were when you first get hired? Again, the entire federal workforce gets paid holidays off. We have to work on holidays and are offered 8 hours of straight time (above what everyone else gets) for our trouble. I’m saying there’s room for improvement there. I know people that work for state and local governments that make 2.5 and 3x on certain holidays. That would create an actual financial incentive and better morale to work on those holidays. Reread the title of this thread.
I think the point is you knew you took a job in a 24/7/365 industry. You knew you were going to have to work holidays and weekends. None of this should come as a surprise. You can't blame low morale on having to work holidays when that was a given since before anyone applied. Know your industry.

I think the point is you knew you took a job in a 24/7/365 industry. You knew you were going to have to work holidays and weekends. None of this should come as a surprise. You can't blame low morale on having to work holidays when that was a given since before anyone applied. Know your industry.
All of this is true. I also thought I'd be able to have a stay at home wife and my pay would reflect the destruction of my body from shift work, general stress of the job, and all the other sacrifices. I also thought I'd be able to move up facilities after 5 or so years.

I KNOW how things were when I signed up but they've gotten worse.

SMH y’all’s logic don’t make sense one bit.

If I work 80 hours in a pay period with one day being a holiday. Let’s say I make $50 an hour since I gotta make it simple for you idiots. I made $4400 for the week. That comes out to $55 an hour.

If I worked 88 hours the next pay period with one day being OT, still at $50 an hour. I made $4600. That comes out to $52.27 an hour.

Simple math says 55 an hour is more valuable than 52.27 an hour.

Ban on OT, force the agency to staff or reduce services. In return you get work-life balance, poorer due to less money for hookers & blackjack, and improved odds to make it past a year to collect pension.

Back
Top Bottom