“Supervisors can’t be used as staffing”

Bandit117

Forum Sage
So I’ve always heard “supervisors can’t be used as staffing” but have never seen it actually written down in a MOU, LOA, order etc. Is this a thing, or is it a thing only at my facility?

if it is a thing, and they use a supervisor as staffing when there should have been an OT call, is it grieve-able? if you would have gotten the OT they decided to fill with a supervisor, can you contest that?

Solution
You might have a facility administration order that says whether supervisors and trainees will be used for staffing. As a general rule, without knowing your facility, supervisors are not counted as staffing when publishing a new schedule. After it's published, and then there's sick leave or other reasons you're now below your staffing number, supervisors can and will fill in. Generally, OT list will still be looked at, but there's nothing preventing a supervisor from working it instead of using OT.

I would also say it's not grievable. Only if it has been determined that OT was to be used would it be grievable. Like if the supervisor called someone on the list, and then decided to just work it instead of continuing the OT process.
Only when they want them to be...:rolleyes: Don't worry this happens all over.

In all seriousness, it depends on the situation. If you were bypassed for OT and management went right to the OS (they didn't run the BUE list first), then yes I would consider that grievable. If they called every BUE and no one was reachable or declined then they can assign it to an OS. Talk to your Rep too. Let them look at the situation and he/she should be able to tell you if it was a bypass. It will depend on how your MOU is worded too.

So I’ve always heard “supervisors can’t be used as staffing” but have never seen it actually written down in a MOU, LOA, order etc. Is this a thing, or is it a thing only at my facility?

if it is a thing, and they use a supervisor as staffing when there should have been an OT call, is it grieve-able? if you would have gotten the OT they decided to fill with a supervisor, can you contest that?
I too agree with you, and your thought process; because it happens at my facility as well. That being said, I have been told it is not a grieve-able offense as the ATM can assign work as necessary.

Only when they want them to be...:rolleyes: Don't worry this happens all over.

In all seriousness, it depends on the situation. If you were bypassed for OT and management went right to the OS (they didn't run the BUE list first), then yes I would consider that grievable. If they called every BUE and no one was reachable or declined then they can assign it to an OS. Talk to your Rep too. Let them look at the situation and he/she should be able to tell you if it was a bypass. It will depend on how your MOU is worded too.
There was an obvious hole in the schedule, but they had a supervisor who swapped RDOs and decided that was enough, even though there were no non-flm cpcs on this shift.

we have been told we can’t go back to 5/5 because we would (according them them) Have to use Supervisors as staffing, but then they just used a supervisor as staffing... it’s kind of a mess

I too agree with you, and your thought process; because it happens at my facility as well. That being said, I have been told it is not a grieve-able offense as the ATM can assign work as necessary.
And I have heard that too, but I’d like to see some kind of reg on that. There must be one somewhere if it’s true. Supervisors by definition are supposed to manage the facility, not work traffic like a line controller

There was an obvious hole in the schedule, but they had a supervisor who swapped RDOs and decided that was enough, even though there were no non-flm cpcs on this shift.

we have been told we can’t go back to 5/5 because we would (according them them) Have to use Supervisors as staffing, but then they just used a supervisor as staffing... it’s kind of a mess
Again it all comes down to how your OT MOU is worded.

As for going back to the 5/5: yeah unfortunately that’s one of the 3 things they’re looking for in order to revert back to a COVID schedule. In the beginning it wasn’t a big deal but now I guess it is.

You might have a facility administration order that says whether supervisors and trainees will be used for staffing. As a general rule, without knowing your facility, supervisors are not counted as staffing when publishing a new schedule. After it's published, and then there's sick leave or other reasons you're now below your staffing number, supervisors can and will fill in. Generally, OT list will still be looked at, but there's nothing preventing a supervisor from working it instead of using OT.

I would also say it's not grievable. Only if it has been determined that OT was to be used would it be grievable. Like if the supervisor called someone on the list, and then decided to just work it instead of continuing the OT process.

Solution

There isn’t anyone in the union or of the BUEs that can prove that 5/5 would work? Why take their word that you can’t. The schedule is not hard, yet people have such difficulty with it.

The CBA does state though that if no replacements can be found, then the OT may be assigned to other qualified employees. I interpret that to say the BUEs MUST be called first. If no BUEs are available, then supes can be used to fill that OT.

There isn’t anyone in the union or of the BUEs that can prove that 5/5 would work? Why take their word that you can’t. The schedule is not hard, yet people have such difficulty with it.
The argument has been “well we can’t Accommodate leave or sick calls without OT” but that’s a lie Bc that’s the whole point of having people recallable...

So then the union can’t guarantee managment that the work force would come in or not bang out or not take their leave. I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing because people want what they want but there does need to be some sort of agreement the numbers can be covered.

Also what’s the point of 5/5 if people want their leave and it needs to be filled with people from the other crew?

Last edited:
The CBA does state though that if no replacements can be found, then the OT may be assigned to other qualified employees. I interpret that to say the BUEs MUST be called first. If no BUEs are available, then supes can be used to fill that OT.
BUEs must be called first for OT, except when:
1. Supervisor is on the volunteer list, and the eligible BUEs aren't. Supervisor gets the OT call first.
2. Supervisor works the shift, but it's not OT (shift change). No OT was used, so there's no violation.

A supe plugged in running traffic.... what’s the worst that can happen? It should be NOTAM’d every time a supe is on ???
Where’s that sup girl that came on here a while ago saying how she wanted to directly hire in to be a supe and skip controlling because sups and management are better. Wonder what her opinion is ? MJ unban her... also where the hell is my Michigan Blood Brother #PushingTin... who else am I gonna jerk off with on here about how awesome MI is

BUEs must be called first for OT, except when:
1. Supervisor is on the volunteer list, and the eligible BUEs aren't. Supervisor gets the OT call first.
2. Supervisor works the shift, but it's not OT (shift change). No OT was used, so there's no violation.
At my facility, BUE’s are called prior to sups even if they are on the volunteer list. It’s an agreement we have made in house. That being said, we normally don’t get the OT calls because the sups who are on the schedule (who don’t count for staffing) become staffing.

I didn’t see it there, now I have been told it’s in a National MOU, but they can’t tell me which one it is, when it came out, or what exactly it says... the plot thickens

Back
Top Bottom