2021 Convention

Yeah!

I mean if everything doesn’t go exactly as I want I am out!

I should have left as soon as they discontinued the NATCA pocket calendars. #boomer
Honestly this is a terrible take. I'm a union guy, I think unions are great, and a good thing for labor, but if you feel the union isn't working in your interests, and in the spirit of "collaboration" at times seems to be more another arm of management (with free booze on occasion) than an apparatus for you to solve work issues and get fair treatment...... why stay?

Yes the Slate Book is a good contract but in terms of what they have done since then.....it's lacking to say the least. I'm not thinking of leaving at this time but I can see why someone would for sure.

Wasn't this already written in to the Slate Book that they would begin working on that? I remember hearing something about it.
ARTICLE 121
ELECTRIC VEHICLE SUPPLY EQUIPMENT (EVSE)
Section 1. Within one hundred eighty (180) days of the signing of this Agreement, the Union and Agency shall establish a workgroup to study the feasibility of providing Level 2 (240v AC) charging receptacles and/or allowing the use of 110/120v AC electrical receptacles for plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) charging units for bargaining unit employees to use at work on a reimbursable basis consistent with 42 USC 6364.

ARTICLE 121
ELECTRIC VEHICLE SUPPLY EQUIPMENT (EVSE)
Section 1. Within one hundred eighty (180) days of the signing of this Agreement, the Union and Agency shall establish a workgroup to study the feasibility of providing Level 2 (240v AC) charging receptacles and/or allowing the use of 110/120v AC electrical receptacles for plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) charging units for bargaining unit employees to use at work on a reimbursable basis consistent with 42 USC 6364.
Wonder what the workgroup determined in 2016

Honestly this is a terrible take. I'm a union guy, I think unions are great, and a good thing for labor, but if you feel the union isn't working in your interests, and in the spirit of "collaboration" at times seems to be more another arm of management (with free booze on occasion) than an apparatus for you to solve work issues and get fair treatment...... why stay?

Yes the Slate Book is a good contract but in terms of what they have done since then.....it's lacking to say the least. I'm not thinking of leaving at this time but I can see why someone would for sure.
I was being facetious. In my almost 20 years in the Union, I certainly have been pissed off at them.

First and foremost I hate the scammy-suck-off-your-buddy-fuck-your-areas staffing article 114 details.

Stop that nonsense. Can’t release for NCEPT well, then we can’t release you for article 114 duties. Get your ass back to the floor so I have a chance at spot leave since you get whatever leave you want in your cushy no work gig.

I can’t tell you my level of hate of it.

But would I leave the Union over it, nah. Overall my membership has benefited me and I recognize that the negative periods will turn positive. But everyone has to do what they have to do. I like bitching as much as the next guy, but instead of just on the internet, I also make my FACREP completely aware of my discontent.

Change takes time. And honestly, I’ve never been a facrep nor do I aspire to be. So I recognize that my bitching can only go so far until I man up and run. But I don’t want to put in the effort, so here we are.

Also people hate me.

As you know leaving as a trainee can be a death wish especially at large facilities. But for those trainees who certified after the Covid delay or certified after multiple Covid delays is the demographic of people who will leave the union. Why support an organization that fucked you for a year?
14 year CPC here not rolling the dice with the Union any longer mainly NCEPT issues and leadership issues. When you consistently see new certs not want to become an OJTI and fill out their ERR paperwork within days of cert that gets real old.

But would I leave the Union over it, nah. Overall my membership has benefited me and I recognize that the negative periods will turn positive. But everyone has to do what they have to do. I like bitching as much as the next guy, but instead of just on the internet, I also make my FACREP completely aware of my discontent.
Yeah I tried that. Now facrep tells everywhere I err to I’m a POS

Its just unfortunate that the union fails to recognize what paying union members want. Trainees want representation. CPCs want changes to NCEPT. But for some reason the union doesn’t want to change it. I’m not sure why. Well maybe a little. We continue to give money and just be content. But even if you try to be the change you want to see and work your way up to national positions you’re just silenced by the people above you who are long standing members of the good ol’ boys club. It’s really unfortunate and I’m not sure what other ways exist to change the culture

Imagine your rep wanting to go to the same facilities as you….but you have a few years seniority on them. Makes for an interesting scenario, they keep ranking both just out of reach of being selected so it’s a lose lose at this point after I’ve seen the damn rankings.

Its just unfortunate that the union fails to recognize what paying union members want. Trainees want representation. CPCs want changes to NCEPT. But for some reason the union doesn’t want to change it. I’m not sure why. Well maybe a little. We continue to give money and just be content. But even if you try to be the change you want to see and work your way up to national positions you’re just silenced by the people above you who are long standing members of the good ol’ boys club. It’s really unfortunate and I’m not sure what other ways exist to change the culture
Sure is unfortunate. The Union will be to blame for the amount of early retirements when people go immediately when eligible. Then blame the agency that they have a staffing problem. Same talking points different day.

The craziest thing is getting people certified and getting people to higher level facilities all leads to more NATCA dues. Have you ever heard of a union that didn’t do whatever possible to get more dues

Haha I actually didn’t know this! Honestly sounds like a pyramid scheme…
Not really it’s like get us more money and we’ll get you more money but then they don’t care about trainees stuck on AG for years or people transferring to higher level facilities. Or getting us bigger raises. It makes 0 sense

I’d imagine if you tour the place you want to go to, and seem cool, I don’t think the facrep’s opinion alone would tank you.

Especially if you were to bring donuts. I’d argue to pick you up!
Haha I actually didn’t know this! Honestly sounds like a pyramid scheme…
Years ago, 2014ish? dues were a percent of the base salary at your facility by band (d1-cpc) , so everyone at said facility in the same band paid the same regardless if they maxed out or not.

We voted and changed it so dues actually went down for people at the bottom of said band, I.e. new cpc’s and up for old fucks cause they were at the cap. A percentage for everyone based off actually salary.

Little contentious at some places, but was it more fair; yes. Did my rep vote against my personal interest at the time and ‘raise’ my dues; yes. Was he right to do so for fairness/equality, again yes.

Years ago, 2014ish? dues were a percent of the base salary at your facility by band (d1-cpc) , so everyone at said facility in the same band paid the same regardless if they maxed out or not.

We voted and changed it so dues actually went down for people at the bottom of said band, I.e. new cpc’s and up for old fucks cause they were at the cap. A percentage for everyone based off actually salary.

Little contentious at some places, but was it more fair; yes. Did my rep vote against my personal interest at the time and ‘raise’ my dues; yes. Was he right to do so for fairness/equality, again yes.

I don't see how there could be much contention with the change. Seems jacked up to have a fresh CPC paying the same amount in dues as a 20 year CPC. Unless I misunderstood the previous method.

I don't see how there could be much contention with the change. Seems jacked up to have a fresh CPC paying the same amount in dues as a 20 year CPC. Unless I misunderstood the previous method.
Well, there is the old-

“I payed that back when I was new so why should I pay more now, I did my time”. Or

“We get the same representation at facility XXX why am I paying more”

“Why does the Union need more money, cut XYZ and keep dues the same”

Controller love to complain.

Back
Top Bottom