2021 Convention

Reason 1:
Despite the friendly administration, the agency has a duty to bargain on behalf of the government. There are plenty of provisions in the contract that the agency hates, regardless of political leanings. Example: bidding all the leave you will accrue.

Reason 2:
It costs a ton of money for the union to enter bargaining for a new contract that offers no guarantee of more money or better articles.

Reason 3:
If an unfriendly administration is elected, we are within the renewal period to extend the contract again before a new administration takes over.

Think about this, if the administration is so labor friendly, why didn’t they let the union extend the contract for 9+ years? They still have a responsibility to do what is best for the tax payers.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
Thanks for coming back and answering! I don’t believe any of these reasons stand for leaving us in a contract for another 6 (or whatever years). For a lot of us that’s 25% or more of our careers. Not even negotiated for improvements? 100% contracts are the biggest thing our money should be going to.

And as stated our coffers should overfloweth right now. We should have come at the administration strong and let them put their money where their mouth is. A chance to show whether they are pro labor or not at the beginning of the administration could have been solid ground to stand on.

Thanks for coming back and answering! I don’t believe any of these reasons stand for leaving us in a contract for another 6 (or whatever years). For a lot of us that’s 25% or more of our careers. Not even negotiated for improvements? 100% contracts are the biggest thing our money should be going to.

And as stated our coffers should overfloweth right now. We should have come at the administration strong and let them put their money where their mouth is. A chance to show whether they are pro labor or not at the beginning of the administration could have been solid ground to stand on.
No dude they have to all fly to Houston and vote down every amendment on our dime

No dude they have to all fly to Houston and vote down every amendment on our dime
Truth! Can’t wait to save $50 more a paycheck come March, at least investing in myself and TSP should have better ROI then what money I’ve invested in the union.
How many ya think are getting out come January this time around?

Truth! Can’t wait to save $50 more a paycheck come March, at least investing in myself and TSP should have better ROI then what money I’ve invested in the union.
I think only 2% leave in January. It would send huge a message if it were 10%, but even 2% won’t change anything but will at least be noticed. In the past they usually only lose about 30-40 people each January, a fraction of a percent.

I think only 2% leave in January. It would send huge a message if it were 10%, but even 2% won’t change anything but will at least be noticed. In the past they usually only lose about 30-40 people each January, a fraction of a percent.
If what people are saying here is true, this facility, A80, is only going to be roughly 70% union come March.

Reason 1:
Despite the friendly administration, the agency has a duty to bargain on behalf of the government. There are plenty of provisions in the contract that the agency hates, regardless of political leanings. Example: bidding all the leave you will accrue.

Reason 2:
It costs a ton of money for the union to enter bargaining for a new contract that offers no guarantee of more money or better articles.

Reason 3:
If an unfriendly administration is elected, we are within the renewal period to extend the contract again before a new administration takes over.

Think about this, if the administration is so labor friendly, why didn’t they let the union extend the contract for 9+ years? They still have a responsibility to do what is best for the tax payers.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

All of these are good reasons to not re-open negotiations, but the travesty of this whole thing to me is that framing of this argument. The amendment wasn’t forcing the union to re-open negotiations, it was merely to force a vote to let everyone decide, and not just the executive staff. Making the amendment only about the complications of re-opening negotiations, and not about enhancing the voice of the membership, is an absolute red herring.

Arguments like those in your post would be a great thing to put forth to get people to vote against re-opening negotiations, but they have nothing to do with considering whether to authorize that vote in the first place.

In an age where we want our voices to be heard more, everyone who voted down this amendment is saying they’re fine with having their voices heard less, and having less power. Why would anyone vote against the membership having more power?

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it. Everyone talks a big game.
This is true, I have heard large amounts of people say they would leave the years of the dues increase, inception of NCEPT, talks of privatization, Rinaldi/Zillions election, etc….. In the end only 30-40 people left each year.

We will see if it is different this year, I think there is more reasoning to leave then ever before. But I hear about 10% say they will leave, that’s why I’m predicting only 2% at most actually follow through.

Why would anyone vote against the membership having more power?
If I'm feeling charitable: Because they all very strongly believe that a bureaucratic-union system is better for the membership than a democratic-union system. That's a valid opinion to hold. There has been a lot of ink spilled on that subject.

To be realistic, I wasn't able to attend the convention and talk to people about the amendments. I didn't do any campaigning for it at all, besides writing up a statement for my delegate to read on my behalf. I had hoped that the concept and the text would speak for themselves and the delegates would all agree with me. That didn't happen, obviously. I'll try again at the next convention, actually try to get a campaign going, see what I can edit to make the concept more palatable.

It seems like there are at least some members here who agree with the intent of the amendments, and I would genuinely appreciate your thoughts, edits, campaign support, advice, whatever. [email protected] if you want to get involved.

apparently talks of the contract started under trump, they wanted just an extension. Then Biden became president. Hard to go back and say we want more now. That’s what I heard. Take that with a grain of salt

But why. It wasn’t even due
This isn’t what I heard just my thoughts. If the president is anti union signing these E.O.’s you start early to get it done before the second term. Plus a president in their second term don’t give a flying fuck and aren’t going for reelection. My 2¢

But why. It wasn’t even due
It was coming due in 2022 I believe. It's a year process just to negotiate, and months of working on setting the negotiations up, before the year process. Working on not negotiating with Trump, and just doing an extension was our best case scenario if he won. I believe this is what would have happened if he had won. My guess is no one wanted to burn the work and bridges done at the tail end of the Trump administration.

Hypothetically, the Biden admin could have told us we weren't getting anything else, so don't waste your time, and just take an extension. I know that runs counter to the "most labor friendly admin ever" claim, and also to those thinking by having a Democrat potus, we would all get Ferraris. But, it is well within the realm of possibility that Biden is full of shit, and democrats don't actually care that much about us.

Also, hypothetically, union leadership hasn't been on the floor in over a decade and is so disconnected from the membership, that they don't care what the membership wants or thinks.

It was coming due in 2022 I believe. It's a year process just to negotiate, and months of working on setting the negotiations up, before the year process. Working on not negotiating with Trump, and just doing an extension was our best case scenario if he won. I believe this is what would have happened if he had won. My guess is no one wanted to burn the work and bridges done at the tail end of the Trump administration.

Hypothetically, the Biden admin could have told us we weren't getting anything else, so don't waste your time, and just take an extension. I know that runs counter to the "most labor friendly admin ever" claim, and also to those thinking by having a Democrat potus, we would all get Ferraris. But, it is well within the realm of possibility that Biden is full of shit, and democrats don't actually care that much about us.

Also, hypothetically, union leadership hasn't been on the floor in over a decade and is so disconnected from the membership, that they don't care what the membership wants or thinks.

They should have probably stated why they got the extension so early in one of their national e-mails. Seems nearly everyone is in the dark as to why it was done other than guesses. I do think union leadership is incredibly disconnected/doesn't care about what membership wants or thinks.

I've done my part and cancelled PAC donations. Not leaving the union yet though.

As you know leaving as a trainee can be a death wish especially at large facilities. But for those trainees who certified after the Covid delay or certified after multiple Covid delays is the demographic of people who will leave the union. Why support an organization that fucked you for a year?

As you know leaving as a trainee can be a death wish especially at large facilities. But for those trainees who certified after the Covid delay or certified after multiple Covid delays is the demographic of people who will leave the union. Why support an organization that fucked you for a year?
Yeah!

I mean if everything doesn’t go exactly as I want I am out!

I should have left as soon as they discontinued the NATCA pocket calendars. #boomer

Back
Top Bottom