A80

Highly considering putting in an ERR to A80 once I saw the priority release date MOU last week. Booked our flights to Atlanta that same day and we head out there later this month to explore and decide (two controller family here).

We are both currently level 12's (myself with level 12 radar experience followed by current level 12 tower, and my spouse with level 10 enroute experience, level 12 radar experience, and multiple years of TM experience). We just need a change. Hoping we like Peachtree City when we visit it shortly!

Maybe we'll see you around Robertb. I've been talking with two ex-A80 controllers who transferred out and they had nothing but great things to say about the facility.
Sounds great! If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them for you. Hopefully, you like the area and facility because we need bodies.

Sounds great! If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them for you. Hopefully, you like the area and facility because we need bodies.

The only thing holding me back are the 6 day workweeks. The extra money will be awesome, but I just think I'll feel burnt out so quickly with only one day off per week with no end in sight. How do you do it and stay happy?

Also, how are the areas split up? What positions are in each area? Any way to get a choice of which area I would go to?

Last edited:
Gah I bet you two are like harry and Lloyd blowing your nose in 100 dollar bills. That's insane!! Hopefully you like it. I sure did and I liked the TRACON a lot too.

Yeah, definitely. Plus, we have no kids... so you can only imagine the wads of 100 dollar bills we use for tissues. ;)

qea4a.jpg

The only thing holding me back are the 6 day workweeks. The extra money will be awesome, but I just think I'll feel burnt out so quickly with only one day off per week with no end in sight. How do you do it and stay happy?

Also, how are the areas split up? What positions are in each area? Any way to get a choice of which area I would go to?
This priority release MOU will do wonders as we will be able to pick up people (minus those from C90, D10, N90) very quickly so we will hopefully have more CPCs in a shorter amount of time (now to the end of 2019/beginning of 2020). I think the facility should have two groups of classes (7:00-15:30 and 15:30-00:00), but that would cost more money, but would staff this building even quicker. We will have to wait and see if the agency approves that again (did it here in the mid 2000s).

Three Lines:
A-
Atlanta Approach Wall, Atlanta Satellite, Athens
B- (won't ever be assigned again to people)
Atlanta Satellite, Atlanta Departure, Athens, Macon, Columbus
C-
Atlanta Approach Wall, Atlanta Departure, Macon, Columbus

Lines are assigned based on report time to the facility and what is needed at that time. Currently, we have more A liners than C liners, but the A liners are few at the bottom of the seniority list. We bid days off based on seniority not based on the line you work.

This priority release MOU will do wonders as we will be able to pick up people (minus those from C90, D10, N90) very quickly so we will hopefully have more CPCs in a shorter amount of time (now to the end of 2019/beginning of 2020). I think the facility should have two groups of classes (7:00-15:30 and 15:30-00:00), but that would cost more money, but would staff this building even quicker. We will have to wait and see if the agency approves that again (did it here in the mid 2000s).

Three Lines:
A-
Atlanta Approach Wall, Atlanta Satellite, Athens
B- (won't ever be assigned again to people)
Atlanta Satellite, Atlanta Departure, Athens, Macon, Columbus
C-
Atlanta Approach Wall, Atlanta Departure, Macon, Columbus

Lines are assigned based on report time to the facility and what is needed at that time. Currently, we have more A liners than C liners, but the A liners are few at the bottom of the seniority list. We bid days off based on seniority not based on the line you work.
Do they assign the line when you report so your not doing sims and classroom for a side you won't work?

Why won't B line ever be assigned again? Just curious. I'd actually be most interested in C line for the mix of arrival and departure.

Why won't B line ever be assigned again? Just curious. I'd actually be most interested in C line for the mix of arrival and departure.
Because those people never worked the Approach Wall, to achieve certification, for Atlanta and a lot of people here thought it was crap for someone to make level 12 pay and never work arrivals into Atlanta while working at Atlanta TRACON.

Because those people never worked the Approach Wall, to achieve certification, for Atlanta and a lot of people here thought it was crap for someone to make level 12 pay and never work arrivals into Atlanta while working at Atlanta TRACON.

Wish they would do that here with Islip sector. Level 6 90% VFR traffic, level 12 pay

A buddy of mine said there is some sort or survey you take to determine which side you work? Truth to this?
Not true at all. Your line is assigned by what the facility needs at that time. We've tried to push for your line to be assigned based on background, but that would open the facility up to potential grievances when people are unsuccessful.

I don't fully understand NCEPT. Let's say I decide to put in an ERR to A80. Based off of the new priority release MOU, am I guaranteed to be picked up if I'm not from C90/N90/LAX/D10? Even if my facility drops into the red?

Highly considering putting in an ERR to A80 once I saw the priority release date MOU last week. Booked our flights to Atlanta that same day and we head out there later this month to explore and decide (two controller family here).

We are both currently level 12's (myself with level 12 radar experience followed by current level 12 tower, and my spouse with level 10 enroute experience, level 12 radar experience, and multiple years of TM experience). We just need a change. Hoping we like Peachtree City when we visit it shortly!

Maybe we'll see you around Robertb. I've been talking with two ex-A80 controllers who transferred out and they had nothing but great things to say about the facility.

Lived there for about twenty years, I'd be very surprised if you didn't like it! Excellent place to raise a family, golf, and buy a golf cart as a third car even if you don't (bike paths for days, it's a way of life). Close enough to ATL to drive into it, far enough away you don't have to deal with it. Hope you have a good trip :)

I don't fully understand NCEPT. Let's say I decide to put in an ERR to A80. Based off of the new priority release MOU, am I guaranteed to be picked up if I'm not from C90/N90/LAX/D10? Even if my facility drops into the red?
No matter what your category, you can be selected. If you're not Cat 1 or Cat 2, only 1 person per 6 months can go. Given your background, I'd imagine you have a 99.9% chance of selection.

Robertb, thanks for all your info. The one thing you didn't answer though.... truly, how do you stay happy with only one day off per week? Is it difficult to deal with?

Robertb, thanks for all your info. The one thing you didn't answer though.... truly, how do you stay happy with only one day off per week? Is it difficult to deal with?
It's not that bad if you get along with the people you work with. I did it all of last year and didn't have any complaints except for when I only had Sundays off. Most offices were closed so I couldn't do a lot of things. Was much more enjoyable when I was able to switch into Wednesdays off.
You get used to it. And you don't have sick time left at the end of the year.
Strange, I think I only used two sick days all last year, for actually being sick.

It's not that bad if you get along with the people you work with. I did it all of last year and didn't have any complaints except for when I only had Sundays off. Most offices were closed so I couldn't do a lot of things. Was much more enjoyable when I was able to switch into Wednesdays off.

Strange, I think I only used two sick days all last year, for actually being sick.
I think I used 1. In December because sugarfoot had me out way too late. Haven't used a single sick day this year and was 6 daying almost every week oct16-april17. I can't imagine ever going somewhere that a 6 day week is the norm. I'd kill for a 4 10s schedule or even a part time like 30 hours a week gig which are super hard to come by.

Back
Top Bottom