Enroute Class pass rate

Can you explain to me why the pass rate is so much lower there? It’s almost on par with ZOA and ZNY

I believe the washout numbers are a little skewed and from a couple years ago. I definitely think ZMP is a little harder on some things in training compared to other centers. It's black and white here though what you need to do to pass. With recently 100+ trainees in the building, people are bound to washout, it just happens. Not many other centers have had a flush of over 100 trainees in the building. ZMP has a lot of airport control unlike the majority of the centers, my airspace has non-radar for class Delta airports and uncontrolled airports up to about 5,000ft. Some of the other areas have non-radar up to 10,000ft and when a radar goes down for maintenance they’ll be non-radar up to FL390.... you just don’t see that at a lot of other places.

You need to get a certain percentage right on your maps, call signs, and airport identifiers. If you don't, then they give you one more chance. If you fail again, you're gone. Other centers I hear give their trainees the maps, call signs, and identifiers and say "let me know when you have them memorized, then we'll give the test" here you have a strict schedule, a couple days for the airports and callsigns to a couple weeks for the maps, and ready or not you're taking the test. Also the DYSIM/TTL here is hard. It's hard everywhere though. I think ZMP is just not as forgiving as some other centers. I tell friends at other centers we wash people out in the DYSIM if they can’t hack it and they’re shocked, saying they never do that. Also I’ve heard of people washing out of an area at other centers, then their center puts them in another area for a second chance.... they don’t do that here.

I believe the washout numbers are a little skewed and from a couple years ago. I definitely think ZMP is a little harder on some things in training compared to other centers. It's black and white here though what you need to do to pass. With recently 100+ trainees in the building, people are bound to washout, it just happens. Not many other centers have had a flush of over 100 trainees in the building. ZMP has a lot of airport control unlike the majority of the centers, my airspace has non-radar for class Delta airports and uncontrolled airports up to about 5,000ft. Some of the other areas have non-radar up to 10,000ft and when a radar goes down for maintenance they’ll be non-radar up to FL390.... you just don’t see that at a lot of other places.

You need to get a certain percentage right on your maps, call signs, and airport identifiers. If you don't, then they give you one more chance. If you fail again, you're gone. Other centers I hear give their trainees the maps, call signs, and identifiers and say "let me know when you have them memorized, then we'll give the test" here you have a strict schedule, a couple days for the airports and callsigns to a couple weeks for the maps, and ready or not you're taking the test. Also the DYSIM/TTL here is hard. It's hard everywhere though. I think ZMP is just not as forgiving as some other centers. I tell friends at other centers we wash people out in the DYSIM if they can’t hack it and they’re shocked, saying they never do that. Also I’ve heard of people washing out of an area at other centers, then their center puts them in another area for a second chance.... they don’t do that here.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I kinda agree with the fact that they shouldn’t have to give you multiple chances as well, if you can’t hack the training they shouldn’t keep you on and have to babysit you.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I kinda agree with the fact that they shouldn’t have to give you multiple chances as well, if you can’t hack the training they shouldn’t keep you on and have to babysit you.

Yeah, it’s not a bad place, I enjoy it here, even though I’m leaving. Staffing is pretty good too (at the moment) so if you ever want to transfer out it’s a possibility, HR says we’ll be dipping both above and below the national average for the next couple years with staffing.

Back
Top Bottom