June 2018

According to previous posts yes she did. Meanwhile some of us continue to play the game honestly and wait for our facilities first ever NCEPT release.

NOPE....I know everyone likes to complain about their situation, but I try not to step in other shoes. Every situation is different, not everything is a catch all right??? We are a couple, both in the FAA, and I was placed in BPT, my husband only received a hardship because we have a special needs son and it was across the country. It is also the reasoning we have been trying to get closer to home. He made sacrifices for his family, and the only way for us to move again is to go to family, so I can have help.

I ERR'd just like everyone else as is he now to that specific location.

Does anyone know how to access the KSN site from home? I'm new to this and could only access it at work, but when I tried to access it from my laptop, it asked for a password that I don't have nor remember creating.

I did a special event last year that uploaded all of the training documents to ksn, so I got a login for it that I use to access everything from home. Maybe you can just request access and they'll make you login info too?

I did a special event last year that uploaded all of the training documents to ksn, so I got a login for it that I use to access everything from home. Maybe you can just request access and they'll make you login info too?

That's a good idea and worth a shot. Hell the worst thing they could say is "no" right.

While it’s true i wasnt bitching about it, just trying to understand the process. My bitch is that cpcs from lvl 4-9 with little to no experience get selected over me with 10 years cpc at a lvl 11 who has both tower and Tracon ratings. That’s my bitch! The system is set up to help lower lvl facilities. No one comes to my facility and it take 2 1/2 years to cert and by the time they cert we have 2 that have retired so it’s not a very high likelihood that I will ever get out unless I do like all the other guys and “hardship”

I can’t but help read your post and ask; why is it you deserve to be at a lvl 11, but no one else does because they’re not already at a high level facility? Did you ever consider how fortunate you are to make level 11 pay for ten years, while there are probably thousands of other controllers that have been in pursuit of that for over 5-6 yrs? I really don’t quite understand, did you not come from a lower level facility or ever start off at a point where you had little to no experience? Or were you just born with 10yrs of level 11 experience under your belt. I’m in year 7, still waiting so I can complain about how unfair it is that I make a crap load of money while there are still people out there that have not been given the CHANCE to make there’s.

Last edited:
I can’t but help read your post and ask; why is it you deserve to be at a lvl 11, but no one else does because they’re not already at a high level facility?

Your assumptions here are completely incorrect, I am not saying i am more deserving but if you want to go down the seniority or pay your dues road or how the ncept process has all but negated article 60 we can. If you read other post I am saying that as I had no choice where I was placed, a lvl 11 and have been stuck here ever since. The fact that high lvl facilities can only staff up to 90% projected puts them at a disadvantage compared to lower level facilities that can staff up to 100%. So while we struggle to get people in the door because we don’t accept academy grads others are fat and transferring several times over while I am still stuck at my first facility because I refuse to take the low road and “hardship” like so many others that have come through our doors.

Your assumptions here are completely incorrect, I am not saying i am more deserving but if you want to go down the seniority or pay your dues road or how the ncept process has all but negated article 60 we can. If you read other post I am saying that as I had no choice where I was placed, a lvl 11 and have been stuck here ever since. The fact that high lvl facilities can only staff up to 90% projected puts them at a disadvantage compared to lower level facilities that can staff up to 100%. So while we struggle to get people in the door because we don’t accept academy grads others are fat and transferring several times over while I am still stuck at my first facility because I refuse to take the low road and “hardship” like so many others that have come through our doors.

You think it’s any different at a low a lower level facility. Somehow at every facility hardships come up right after certification. Tell your Rep if you would like to evoke Article 60. I would.

However, to say that the system works for lower level facilities is completely in accurate. I can tell you from first hand experience. I had to transfer under the old system making the same level pay I had been making just to get back into the state I’m from, still in the lower half of the pay bands. Under the new system I saw my dream facility pick up a crap load of people all from 11’s and 12’s, while I got passed up and my facility was able to release 3 cat 1’s. Which they did to lower priority facilities. I just don’t understand when someone likes to talk about high level experience comparatively, when they had nothing special about them that placed them in that position. You admitted that. If that really meant something then for N90 they would say “we are a hard to staff facility, with a low success rate and we need nothing but level 11 and 12 controllers to ensure success.” You said yourself that you have much more experience at a level 11 than anyone at a level 4-9 facility, if I recall correctly. Some of the harder approaches to work in the country are level 9 up downs. Some of the more complex towers are level 6-7 class D’s. Yet it is commonly implied that level 11-12 experience makes them somehow a more qualified controller.

I got 3 kids, still at low level facility, so hopefully my minimal experience at a busy class D will be overlooked and I can be afforded the same opportunity you were. Apparently no experience is better than some experience.

Last edited:

Just to be clear. I’m not a fan of NCEPT either. I just think you’re a little discounting with your comments referencing lower level facilities. We work like you do and I’m sure in a lot of incidents harder. I toured the facility I wanted to go to 4 times. Under the old system I think I would have been there by now. Under the new system, not so much.

Manager has limited input, given limited consideration, so an effort to show a face now doesn’t seem to mean much.

The truth of the matter is that once either the level 10 controller or 5 controller have put in anything near article 60 time they need to be allowed to go where they want (barring super overstaffed places). The NAS has MORE than enough vacancies to allow that except at a few facilities that I can count on one hand. I know that it's frustrating watching someone who makes double what I made at a place with half the cost of living (Hi HCF!) complain that they aren't getting what they want out of the transfer process, but the desire to be near family should be something everyone can appreciate.

I'd urge you to focus your displeasure toward your union, even though I know NCEPT puts controllers at one another's throats by design.

You think it’s any different at a low a lower level facility. Somehow at every facility hardships come up right after certification. Tell your Rep if you would like to evoke Article 60. I would.

However, to say that the system works for lower level facilities is completely in accurate. I can tell you from first hand experience. I had to transfer under the old system making the same level pay I had been making just to get back into the state I’m from, still in the lower half of the pay bands. Under the new system I saw my dream facility pick up a crap load of people all from 11’s and 12’s, while I got passed up and my facility was able to release 3 cat 1’s. Which they did to lower priority facilities. I just don’t understand when someone likes to talk about high level experience comparatively, when they had nothing special about them that placed them in that position. You admitted that. If that really meant something then for N90 they would say “we are a hard to staff facility, with a low success rate and we need nothing but level 11 and 12 controllers to ensure success.” You said yourself that you have much more experience at a level 11 than anyone at a level 4-9 facility, if I recall correctly. Some of the harder approaches to work in the country are level 9 up downs. Some of the more complex towers are level 6-7 class D’s. Yet it is commonly implied that level 11-12 experience makes them somehow a more qualified controller.

I got 3 kids, still at low level facility, so hopefully my minimal experience at a busy class D will be overlooked and I can be afforded the same opportunity you were. Apparently no experience is better than some experience.
Just to be clear. I’m not a fan of NCEPT either. I just think you’re a little discounting with your comments referencing lower level facilities. We work like you do and I’m sure in a lot of incidents harder. I toured the facility I wanted to go to 4 times. Under the old system I think I would have been there by now. Under the new system, not so much.

Manager has limited input, given limited consideration, so an effort to show a face now doesn’t seem to mean much.
Given the level of hatred you're showing @16gtiguy, I'm going to step in and address a few things...

1) You can't evoke Article 60 with the NCEPT.

2) The NCEPT does favor lower level facilities. While some lower level hard to staff facilities have gotten the shaft, the vast majority of NCEPT selections are from 7 and below facilities.

3) Since the NCEPT inception, his facility has been able to release 1 person, even without knowing what facility you're currently at (I could take a highly educated guess), you had 3 Cat 1 selections in a single panel. You had the ability to go to high level facilities, you are choosing not to because you view them as undesirable (like how @16gtiguy feels about his current facility) and it appears you have a single dream facility you're trying to get to.

4) The ATM at your dream facility has complete input with the NCEPT. He ranks exactly how he wants selections done and the NCEPT follows them. Despite your tours, the ATM did not rank you high enough to be selected. The NCEPT panel members did not pick up level 11/12 controllers over you, the ATM did.

Back
Top Bottom