Pay (FAQ)

I certified in May and transferred from a 7 to a 12. I was above the band after I certified. You keep your June raises.
Just to clarify for those unfamiliar (because it took me a while to figure this out when I lived through it): you keep the June raises of the facility that you are at, it is not cumulative of all the June raises you have been employed through.

So: if you are at a level 6 up/down through ten June raises, then you transfer to a level 11 center in May, and then it takes you 2 years and 2 months to CPC, you "lose" the ten prior June raises you received from the level 6 (~17.2%) and "keep" the three June raises you received while you were in training at the level 11 (~4.87%).

Theoretically, someone who went through the academy on the enroute track at the same time as the level 6 transfer, went out on PPL/FMLA, went through multiple TRBs, and received several hour extensions, and finally CPC'd at that same level 11 facility a week after the level 6 transfer CPC's, they would have a "guaranteed" ~22.92% raise above the band minimum compared to the level 6 persons' ~4.87%.

Theoretically, someone who went through the academy on the enroute track at the same time as the level 6 transfer, went out on PPL/FMLA, went through multiple TRBs, and received several hour extensions, and finally CPC'd at that same level 11 facility a week after the level 6 transfer CPC's, they would have a "guaranteed" ~22.92% raise above the band minimum compared to the level 6 persons' ~4.87%.
I'm pretty sure if it's your initial facility that you would lose those June raises upon certification, but a CPC-IT keeps them. Not 100% sure though.

Just to clarify for those unfamiliar (because it took me a while to figure this out when I lived through it): you keep the June raises of the facility that you are at, it is not cumulative of all the June raises you have been employed through.

So: if you are at a level 6 up/down through ten June raises, then you transfer to a level 11 center in May, and then it takes you 2 years and 2 months to CPC, you "lose" the ten prior June raises you received from the level 6 (~17.2%) and "keep" the three June raises you received while you were in training at the level 11 (~4.87%).

This doesn't make sense.

Why would a DEV3 (note, *NOT* a CPCIT) go anywhere higher than the CPC band minimum, in your example the PPL/TRB guy.

2 People CPC'ing at a Level 11 facility, that weren't prior Level 11 (or higher) CPCs are gonna CPC at the band minimum (unless they were previously a CPC at a place where their base was high enough that 50 on the go, 50 on certification gets them higher than band min, but that doesn't apply in your example.

If that Lvl 11 was your first facility, you would go to the bottom of the pay band upon certification for CPCs at that facility. You’d lose every June raise but get to the CPC band. You don’t get the bottom of the CPC band and then tack on every June raise you hit as a AG/D1/2/3. Therefore the transfer from the Lvl 6 would be making more upon certification. Because they would get the 1.6% raises on their 1st half salary while in training and then add the second half raise on top after certification.

Simple math: Transfer in from a level 6 and you were making 50K. Lvl 11 bottom of the CPC band is 100K. (Assuming no presidential raises). 75K (25K raise for 1st 1/2 on the go) the day you walk in the door as CPC-IT. 2 June raises + your second half (after certifying) puts you at 102,419.

The direct to the Lvl 11 from the academy would be making 100K upon certification.

I'm pretty sure if it's your initial facility that you would lose those June raises upon certification, but a CPC-IT keeps them. Not 100% sure though.
Yep, I went to the base of CPC when I certified. Didn't get to keep any of my prior raises.
This doesn't make sense.

Why would a DEV3 (note, *NOT* a CPCIT) go anywhere higher than the CPC band minimum, in your example the PPL/TRB guy.

2 People CPC'ing at a Level 11 facility, that weren't prior Level 11 (or higher) CPCs are gonna CPC at the band minimum (unless they were previously a CPC at a place where their base was high enough that 50 on the go, 50 on certification gets them higher than band min, but that doesn't apply in your example.
If that Lvl 11 was your first facility, you would go to the bottom of the pay band upon certification for CPCs at that facility. You’d lose every June raise but get to the CPC band. You don’t get the bottom of the CPC band and then tack on every June raise you hit as a AG/D1/2/3. Therefore the transfer from the Lvl 6 would be making more upon certification. Because they would get the 1.6% raises on their 1st half salary while in training and then add the second half raise on top after certification.

Simple math: Transfer in from a level 6 and you were making 50K. Lvl 11 bottom of the CPC band is 100K. (Assuming no presidential raises). 75K (25K raise for 1st 1/2 on the go) the day you walk in the door as CPC-IT. 2 June raises + your second half (after certifying) puts you at 102,419.

The direct to the Lvl 11 from the academy would be making 100K upon certification.
Damn, I stand corrected ya'll!

Good to know all it takes is to say something incorrect with a degree of confidence and the real answer will come out of the woodwork from everybody and mushroom stamp you across the face. 🤣🤣🤣

It's clear now that I was still confused on the AG/D1/etc. vs CPC-IT distinction when it came to the 1.6% raises. So, correct me if I am wrong which I know ya'll will, to make my example make sense: both could be CPC-ITs from the same academy class coming from lower level facilities, but the second CPC-IT would have transferred right away. Does that sound more plausible and accurate?

CPC-IT 1: CPC at lvl 6 for 10 years/June raises, finally gets picked up at a level 11, and fully CPCs after 3 June raises = 4.87% raise.

CPC-IT 2: CPC at lvl 6 for 1 year/June raise, immediately gets picked up to the level 11 but then scams the entire time (12 June raises) and fully CPCs at the same time as the first CPC-IT = 20.98% raise.

Last edited:
Damn, I stand corrected ya'll!

Good to know all it takes is to say something incorrect with a degree of confidence and the real answer will come out of the woodwork from everybody and mushroom stamp you across the face. 🤣🤣🤣

It's clear now that I was still confused on the AG/D1/etc. vs CPC-IT distinction when it came to the 1.6% raises. So, correct me if I am wrong which I know ya'll will, to make my example make sense: both could be CPC-ITs from the same academy class coming from lower level facilities, but the second CPC-IT would have transferred right away. Does that sound more plausible and accurate?

CPC-IT 1: CPC at lvl 6 for 10 years/June raises, finally gets picked up at a level 11, and fully CPCs after 3 June raises = 4.87% raise.

CPC-IT 2: CPC at lvl 6 for 1 year/June raise, immediately gets picked up to the level 11 but then scams the entire time (12 June raises) and fully CPCs at the same time as the first CPC-IT = 20.98% raise.
That’s correct…but #2 would be better off certifying ASAP and getting all those raises on their CPC pay at the Lvl11…then their pay compounds even higher than CPC-IT 1.

Bigger issue to me is that if you have a controller that was stuck for 10 years or so at a low level facility and then manages to get picked up at a lvl 12 center, he will always be paid less than an academy grad that goes straight to the center the same a year or so before he gets there. So you could essentially have a new hire out earning a 10 year CPC at the same facility level for their whole career due to how you lose these June raises when you climb facility levels

I don't think it's treated as a training failure for pay purposes. My instinct is that it's treated as any other hardship: you will keep whatever your basic pay is from when you hardship (within the new band).

If no one that's had this specific situation can clarify before hand, I'd like to hear how it works out so I can include this scenario in the OP.
This is correct. I went through this process.

Back
Top Bottom