Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah for sure. I don’t think anyone is mad thst Floyd got arrest. By sitting in the guy for 10:28 seconds when he said he couldn’t breath and was crying to help prolly wasn’t good.

the cops should let more people go and simply come arrest them later.
That's tough though because he drove his own car (I think) so other lives are getting endangered, but if they want to resist arrest and drive off and aren't armed, that might be a pretty good policy.

Cops aren’t the courts and have no right to determine if you should die, no matter if you disobey or not
Well if they disobey with a gun in their hand I would have to rightfully disagree

"he should have complied, he had it coming is a piss poor excuse for shitty law enforcement practices.

Slippery slope fallacy aside, I mean if resisting arrest is the standard for a death sentence with no jury trial, why not just make it the expired tag, or the "illegal obstruction" air freshener?

Just oh, he's got that fresh pine scent hanging from the rear view, time to "ride the lightning" as one law enforcement "professional" put it in an excessive force situation caught on camera this last weekend. Does that sound like a plan?

I mean why even have the 4th thru 8th amendments?

"he should have complied, he had it coming is a piss poor excuse for shitty law enforcement practices.

Slippery slope fallacy aside, I mean if resisting arrest is the standard for a death sentence with no jury trial, why not just make it the expired tag, or the "illegal obstruction" air freshener?

Just oh, he's got that fresh pine scent hanging from the rear view, time to "ride the lightning" as one law enforcement "professional" put it in an excessive force situation caught on camera this last weekend. Does that sound like a plan?

He should have complied is very true. It wasn’t a ‘law enforcement policy’ tho. She screwed up...bad. So this one is on her, and it’s hard to see how race is/was in any way involved

Thousands of people don't resist arrest and don't get shot. Period. Not complying with law enforcement and being treated differently than someone who complies with law enforcement is completely acceptable. "Oh he's got fresh pine scent hanging from the mirror" and ALSO has a warrant out for his arrest AND THEN resisting arrest is a whole new ballgame.

He should have complied is very true. It wasn’t a ‘law enforcement policy’ tho. She screwed up...bad. So this one is on her, and it’s hard to see how race is/was in any way involved
It was literally one of the dumbest ass mistakes I've seen on camera, but doesn't happen if he gets cuffed and put in the back of the car without resistance. What's that saying? Don't attribute to malice that can be explained by stupidity?

It was literally one of the dumbest ass mistakes I've seen on camera, but doesn't happen if he gets cuffed and put in the back of the car without resistance. What's that saying? Don't attribute to malice that can be explained by stupidity?
So if a cop turns on his lights for you speeding and you don’t immediately pull over you think it’s reasonable to get shot? Because that’s the argument you make for someone resisting arrest

Thousands of people don't resist arrest and don't get shot. Period. Not complying with law enforcement and being treated differently than someone who complies with law enforcement is completely acceptable. "Oh he's got fresh pine scent hanging from the mirror" and ALSO has a warrant out for his arrest AND THEN resisting arrest is a whole new ballgame.

It is, but not complying in a non deadly threat to officer or general public manner shouldn't be an instant death sentence, period, full stop, end of sentence, and this one appearing to be a huge fuck up on behalf of the officer doesn't change the fact that it ended up that way and probably wouldn't have if the culture surrounding policing in this country was different than it is, on top of some obvious lack of both general training, and holy shit some deesclation tactics would be nice to see too in like 99 percent of these things.

This mindset of I'm a sheepdog warrior and the people are out to kill me, every traffic stop could mean a gun fight mentality among law enforcement has to stop.

So if a cop turns on his lights for you speeding and you don’t immediately pull over you think it’s reasonable to get shot? Because that’s the argument you make for someone resisting arrest
That's not it at all. If I get pulled over for speeding and drive to a well lit area, as is my right, and the cop deems it a felony traffic stop for evading police; and gives me lawful commands at gunpoint to turn off my car and exit the vehicle, it is reasonable that if I do not comply and make sudden movements as if I'm pulling for a firearm that I may get shot. If I exit my vehicle and during the process of being handcuffed I attempt to evade arrest and drive off, there is a risk I might get shot as well. This isn't rocket science.

It is, but not complying in a non deadly threat to officer or general public manner shouldn't be an instant death sentence, period, full stop, end of sentence, and this one appearing to be a huge fuck up on behalf of the officer doesn't change the fact that it ended up that way and probably wouldn't have if the culture surrounding policing in this country was different than it is, on top of some obvious lack of both general training, and holy shit some deesclation tactics would be nice to see too in like 99 percent of these things.

This mindset of I'm a sheepdog warrior and the people are out to kill me, every traffic stop could mean a gun fight mentality among law enforcement has to stop.
I don't agree that it was "an instant death sentence". I think it was a poorly trained female officer who pulled out the wrong gun and made a huge mistake. I think de-escalation tactics with the Army guy pullover should have been used, obviously. The female officer was poorly trained and the male "veteran" officer that pulled over the lieutenant did a piss poor job of de-escalating. Which now begs the question if cops are inherently racist or inherently poorly trained.

That's not it at all. If I get pulled over for speeding and drive to a well lit area, as is my right, and the cop deems it a felony traffic stop for evading police; and gives me lawful commands at gunpoint to turn off my car and exit the vehicle, it is reasonable that if I do not comply and make sudden movements as if I'm pulling for a firearm that I may get shot. If I exit my vehicle and during the process of being handcuffed I attempt to evade arrest and drive off, there is a risk I might get shot as well. This isn't rocket science.
And you don't see a problem with any of the lead up in this hypothetical, or see how that could make someone very anxious and scared, probably on behalf of both parties at that point? Because a lot of these things that have cameras on I see an officer afraid to do his job properly, so he feels the need to be forceful, to tragic results.

Scared people do dumb shit (both ways here, again). Don't make them scared before you hand them a slip of paper and everyone goes home at night.

Ummm, nobody said this. Not even close

And you don't see a problem with any of the lead up in this hypothetical, or see how that could make someone very anxious and scared, probably on behalf of both parties at that point? Because a lot of these things that have cameras on I see an officer afraid to do his job properly, so he feels the need to be forceful, to tragic results.

Scared people do dumb shit (both ways here, again). Don't make them scared before you hand them a slip of paper and everyone goes home at night.
Again, is that poor training or a bad cop? What I see is people not obeying orders or resisting arrest, neither usually have good outcomes. I think we can agree that during any stop, both parties can be scared or anxious. Do you think that as a citizen you also have the duty to de-escalate the situation?

Police AND citizens should act in a manner that doesn’t escalate the situation. I definitely believe we can reform and better train police so they can de-escalate situations, but some people are disrespectful and flat out stupid in their encounters with police. I haven’t seen video of the Daunte Wright incident so I’ll reserve my judgment until then.

This has happened to me twice where I drove for a few blocks, off busy streets and off a bridge before pulling over so it was safer for both of us as well as other traffic. Both cops borderline screamed at me asking why I was evading police.

“ummmmmm you have many high speed pursuits at 30 mph sir?” Lol idiots.

Again, is that poor training or a bad cop? What I see is people not obeying orders or resisting arrest, neither usually have good outcomes. I think we can agree that during any stop, both parties can be scared or anxious. Do you think that as a citizen you also have the duty to de-escalate the situation?
A poorly trained cop is a bad cop. This is more what the all cops are bad thing is about than literal "all cops are bad". That along with the system in general just being jacked.

And sure, you should absolutely be relaxed and comply with instructions, no one is arguing that, what people are arguing is if the person getting arrested isn't being cool it's on the cop, as the the Professional in the situation the onus is on him to de-escalate, and ya know not extrajudically murder someone for not complying.

Citizens have rights, not duties.

Full disclosure, haven't done any research, speaking out of my ass. Even if removing QI for police means removing QI for ATC (does it?), it seems to me "I shot a fleeing suspect because I'm a scaredy-cat little bitch" and "I made a judgement call and two planes traded paint" are somewhat different.
They are definitely different, in one case a horrible mistake led to the death of one person. In the other a horrible mistake could lead to the potential death of hundreds. The woke mob is always up for blaming someone. What if they demanded the heads of the controllers that they decided gave Kobe’s flight inadequate service. I personally know of instances where shoddy controller practices cost people their lives. Where is the line between negligence and criminal negligence? Sometimes it depends on whose death you caused.

Maybe a stupid question, but - why are cop tasers shaped like guns? Maybe reshape them in a manner that's fucking impossible to confuse? It's not like they have significant range, and sighting is via red dot.

Cops shooting people because they confused their gun for their taser is a stupid problem to have, and it keeps happening. You don't see many cops that end up accidentally shooting a person when they meant to grab their baton or their flashlight.

Citizens have rights, not duties.
Jury duty?

Maybe a stupid question, but - why are cop tasers shaped like guns? Maybe reshape them in a manner that's fucking impossible to confuse? It's not like they have significant range, and sighting is via red dot.

Cops shooting people because they confused their gun for their taser is a stupid problem to have, and it keeps happening. You don't see many cops that end up accidentally shooting a person when they meant to grab their baton or their flashlight.
It shouldn’t be belt holstered that’s for sure.

In before "its one in a million, ya I know that's worse than your chance of dying of covid if you are young and healthy but reddit said I must demand you get the vaccine or I'm not signaling my virtue enough"
Fuck if this isn't the most convoluted and contorted straw man I've ever heard.
It's been reiterated about 5 times, but just once more, nobody here gives a shit if you get the vaccine. Rather, people do give a shit that other people suck at math and comparisons and research. People who suck at comparisons and tried (and for fucks sake are STILL trying) to compare this to the flu are the reason a shit-ton more people died than necessary. So don't get the vaccine, fine. But for the love of God, shut the FUCK up.

First, it's one death in 6.5 million doses, not one in a million. And that is not exclusionary to any specific age group or demographic. 1/6,500,000 --- period. The appropriate comparison would be against the IFR of COVID among the entirety of the population (>1/600), but for the benefit of your assertion that as a young healthy adult, 1/6.5 Million is "worse than your chance of dying of COVID", I'll just address the "young and healthy" demographic.
So with that in mind, 7,500 people between 20 and 40 have died from COVID out of a population of ~88,000,000 in that age range. That's one for every 12,000 people, and that's before subtracting those who haven't contracted the virus. Further, an estimated 25% of young people who died had no underlying health conditions. Rounding slightly in your favor, one out of every 50,000 healthy people between 20 and 40 years old has died from COVID. Trying to narrow it down to younger people who receive weekly golden enemas to prove your point that it's better than "one in a million" odds won't be a legitimate argument.
Math: 1/50,000 > 1/6,500,000 by a factor of 130.
A reminder that this is using deaths from COVID against total population in that age range, not even narrowing it down to deaths from COVID against infected population in that age range.

So giving you every benefit of the doubt possible at the moment, I STILL conclude:
You are MORE THAN 130 times more likely to die of COVID as a healthy young adult than you are from a vaccine.

Fuck if this isn't the most convoluted and contorted straw man I've ever heard.
It's been reiterated about 5 times, but just once more, nobody here gives a shit if you get the vaccine. Rather, people do give a shit that other people suck at math and comparisons and research. People who suck at comparisons and tried (and for fucks sake are STILL trying) to compare this to the flu are the reason a shit-ton more people died than necessary. So don't get the vaccine, fine. But for the love of God, shut the FUCK up.

First, it's one death in 6.5 million doses, not one in a million. And that is not exclusionary to any specific age group or demographic. 1/6,500,000 --- period. The appropriate comparison would be against the IFR of COVID among the entirety of the population (>1/600), but for the benefit of your assertion that as a young healthy adult, 1/6.5 Million is "worse than your chance of dying of COVID", I'll just address the "young and healthy" demographic.
So with that in mind, 7,500 people between 20 and 40 have died from COVID out of a population of ~88,000,000 in that age range. That's one for every 12,000 people, and that's before subtracting those who haven't contracted the virus. Further, an estimated 25% of young people who died had no underlying health conditions. Rounding slightly in your favor, one out of every 50,000 healthy people between 20 and 40 years old has died from COVID. Trying to narrow it down to younger people who receive weekly golden enemas to prove your point that it's better than "one in a million" odds won't be a legitimate argument.
Math: 1/50,000 > 1/6,500,000 by a factor of 130.
A reminder that this is using deaths from COVID against total population in that age range, not even narrowing it down to deaths from COVID against infected population in that age range.

So giving you every benefit of the doubt possible at the moment, I STILL conclude:
You are MORE THAN 130 times more likely to die of COVID as a healthy young adult than you are from a vaccine.

Really great argument here is just dying from a clot.

1/6 people will have severe covid symptoms
1/1,000,000 will have adverse shit reaction

do nothing 1/6
Get vaccine (you can still have covid and have bad reactions so we add odds together)
2/1,000,006 or 1/500,003
Worst odds are to get vaccine and then get covid

According to the National Safety Council, the chances of dying from a motor vehicle crash is 1 in 103.

Did you guys here about the cops pulling over the soldier?

Attachments

• 8bbeea9a-a461-4a30-b27f-ec555c66eaf5_1140x641.png
    8bbeea9a-a461-4a30-b27f-ec555c66eaf5_1140x641.png
    379.7 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom