Walmart mangers raise to 128k

you just said not sure where you came up with $30k then ran a bunch of numbers to just come up with $31k?

I will never understand why any controller would argue against making more money. This is a highly specialized job that requires years of training. Sure there are great benefits but every single CPC should be making $100k minimum.
Exactly.

Years of training. Years of shitty schedules. Years of missing events. All for 30k and health insurance at the end if you get stuck at a low level shit hole. The reward is not worth it anymore.

I complete agree with you on the pay while we are working we need more money and it’s downright embarrassing retail is catching up to controller pay.
The benefits later on in retirement you think could be better elsewhere?
We all know the retirement is great but take the 5% that goes towards FERs and compare it to 5% extra in a 401k over the life of a career in a higher paying field and it’s probably a wash. Personally, I like the guaranteed money too but the pension retirement works best when you have a place to live that’s paid off. So many CPCs can’t even afford a small condo on their salary. This used to be an upper middle class career at any level facility but now many controllers are barely scraping by. I just think the pension life is hard to sell these days when folks can hardly afford rent and a week of groceries.

We all know the retirement is great but take the 5% that goes towards FERs and compare it to 5% extra in a 401k over the life of a career in a higher paying field and it’s probably a wash. Personally, I like the guaranteed money too but the pension retirement works best when you have a place to live that’s paid off. So many CPCs can’t even afford a small condo on their salary. This used to be an upper middle class career at any level facility but now many controllers are barely scraping by. I just think the pension life is hard to sell these days when folks can hardly afford rent and a week of groceries.
Getting the retirement health benefits is the big wild card people don’t think about. Health care is hella expensive until you qualify for Medicare

Getting the retirement health benefits is the big wild card people don’t think about. Health care is hella expensive until you qualify for Medicare
If your retirement income is under 100k, you probably qualify for a marketplace subsidy. Something to look into/consider

1. That Walmart salary references the store manager, not assistants or department managers. They absolutely deserve that and can double that salary with bonuses (though most will earn a 25%-40% bonus). It's a lot harder a job then people imagine, and you manage an operation doing between $30 Million and about $100 Million in annual sales and oversee a workforce of 200-500 people. Basically nobody starts as a cashier and works their way up to that, you almost always have to have a four year business degree or something similar.

2. The healthcare bridge is important, it can easily be $1,000 a month or more to buy healthcare from 55-62 if you don't have a subsidy. So that part of the retirement is very good. The rate you pay for the bridge is probably double then what you pay now, it does go up a lot, but still cheaper and better coverage then the marketplace. Anyone know if you can continue it for your spouse and/or kids too?

3. The pension is also very good but not incredible, it used to be the best part of the job when you only paid 1.7% or whatever into it. Now new hires pay 4.8% or something similar. It still pays off and is a good deal, but not like it used to be, if you had no pension at all and invested that 4.8% wisely for your career it would probably turn into something close to what the pension will pay out.

Exactly.

Years of training. Years of shitty schedules. Years of missing events. All for 30k and health insurance at the end if you get stuck at a low level shit hole. The reward is not worth it anymore.

Perhaps most consider this true, but the real votes are peoples’ actions, not the content and volume of their speech. People can gripe all they want but bitching and moaning doesn’t get them very far when they’re unwilling to walk away from the very situation they are complaining about.

Until things become bad enough (or are perceived as bad enough) for an exodus of capable controllers leaving the workforce for other options, i doubt those complaints will actually be considered.

In other words, its status quo as long as there are 30k applicants for OTS announcements with targets of 1500 new hires and resignations account for less than 1% of operational CPC attrition.

1. That Walmart salary references the store manager, not assistants or department managers. They absolutely deserve that and can double that salary with bonuses (though most will earn a 25%-40% bonus). It's a lot harder a job then people imagine, and you manage an operation doing between $30 Million and about $100 Million in annual sales and oversee a workforce of 200-500 people. Basically nobody starts as a cashier and works their way up to that, you almost always have to have a four year business degree or something similar.

2. The healthcare bridge is important, it can easily be $1,000 a month or more to buy healthcare from 55-62 if you don't have a subsidy. So that part of the retirement is very good. The rate you pay for the bridge is probably double then what you pay now, it does go up a lot, but still cheaper and better coverage then the marketplace. Anyone know if you can continue it for your spouse and/or kids too?

3. The pension is also very good but not incredible, it used to be the best part of the job when you only paid 1.7% or whatever into it. Now new hires pay 4.8% or something similar. It still pays off and is a good deal, but not like it used to be, if you had no pension at all and invested that 4.8% wisely for your career it would probably turn into something close to what the pension will pay out.
Pretty sure newer.hires are.paying 5.9% or even higher. I'm at 1.9% and started in 2010

Walmart managers average pay was raised to 128k.

Raise Wen folks? It’s getting worse by the day. Walmart mangers making more than level 8 CPCS.
Does a level 8 CPC really deserve a raise? How many extended breaks and early shoves did you get in the past year? I think they make plenty and are doing better than 90% of the country. Want a raise how about moving to a higher level facility and working more traffic and earning it. Everyone just want a handout at this point. It’s sickening.

Pretty sure newer.hires are.paying 5.9% or even higher. I'm at 1.9% and started in 2010
Absolutely bullshit. Everyone should be paying the same. For the same benefits.

Does a level 8 CPC really deserve a raise? How many extended breaks and early shoves did you get in the past year? I think they make plenty and are doing better than 90% of the country. Want a raise how about moving to a higher level facility and working more traffic and earning it. Everyone just want a handout at this point. It’s sickening.
How tf do you expect them to move to a higher facility when the place they are at can’t release???

Perhaps most consider this true, but the real votes are peoples’ actions, not the content and volume of their speech. People can gripe all they want but bitching and moaning doesn’t get them very far when they’re unwilling to walk away from the very situation they are complaining about.

Until things become bad enough (or are perceived as bad enough) for an exodus of capable controllers leaving the workforce for other options, i doubt those complaints will actually be considered.

In other words, its status quo as long as there are 30k applicants for OTS announcements with targets of 1500 new hires and resignations account for less than 1% of operational CPC attrition.

I agree that actions speak louder than words. It's only a matter of time before an exodus occurs if the status quo continues. The pay and schedule will not attract and retain qualified candidates when they can make more in the private sector with a better schedule. I'm all for Walmart managers securing the bag with their pay.

Most CPCs I have talked to over the years are holding out hope that they can transfer and make more money in a place they want to be. The bitching and complaining comes from said hope being stripped away over and over again due to our robust transfer system and poor staffing throughout the NAS. Most of these CPCs have already gave up years of their lives to this career in a place where they don't want to live and have missed major life events like parents or grandparents passing away, weddings of family members or friends, and many holidays. They don't want these sacrifices to go to waste.

The perceived "golden handcuffs" of the pension and healthcare in retirement can be very hard to give up. But as more controllers try to transfer to make a living in places where they wish to spend the rest of their lives, the gold plating on these handcuffs is wearing off. Especially as more and more places in the private sectors are receiving massive raises, which if invested wisely, would yield larger retirements.

The number of applicants is true, but misleading. Sure there are 30-50k applicants every OTS bid. But how many are actually qualified vs just took a look at the pay band and saw 6 figures and put their name in the hat. How many can hold a medical? How many can pass a background check? Then if only 1500-1800 are being brought through the academy, the washout rates during training is not conducive to actually advancing ones career in a timely manner. Meanwhile job hopping and promotions in the private sector can yield large pay raises and people can live in cities they want to and not work every weekend and holiday. With the status quo, it's only a matter of time before QOL issues create an exodus, largely at lower level facilities. It's already started at some.

Hey look- it’s another terrible take by Mr. Capone. I don’t believe most level 8 controllers are exceptionally well paid and that’s before we consider the often lower checkout rates (lots of up/downs), difficulty in moving up the ladder and chronic short staffing. Making 117k in LA if you’re at VNY, SNA or even 112k at BNA which is a level 9 isn’t doing much in those areas.

I just learned flight service (leidos) employees recently got a raise to $64/hr so about $135k. Flight service makes more than a level 8 or 9 controller.
I came from privatized flight service. That $135k number is not far off from when I left in 2016. I have no regrets on leaving.

I agree that actions speak louder than words. It's only a matter of time before an exodus occurs if the status quo continues. The pay and schedule will not attract and retain qualified candidates when they can make more in the private sector with a better schedule. I'm all for Walmart managers securing the bag with their pay.

Most CPCs I have talked to over the years are holding out hope that they can transfer and make more money in a place they want to be. The bitching and complaining comes from said hope being stripped away over and over again due to our robust transfer system and poor staffing throughout the NAS. Most of these CPCs have already gave up years of their lives to this career in a place where they don't want to live and have missed major life events like parents or grandparents passing away, weddings of family members or friends, and many holidays. They don't want these sacrifices to go to waste.

The perceived "golden handcuffs" of the pension and healthcare in retirement can be very hard to give up. But as more controllers try to transfer to make a living in places where they wish to spend the rest of their lives, the gold plating on these handcuffs is wearing off. Especially as more and more places in the private sectors are receiving massive raises, which if invested wisely, would yield larger retirements.

The number of applicants is true, but misleading. Sure there are 30-50k applicants every OTS bid. But how many are actually qualified vs just took a look at the pay band and saw 6 figures and put their name in the hat. How many can hold a medical? How many can pass a background check? Then if only 1500-1800 are being brought through the academy, the washout rates during training is not conducive to actually advancing ones career in a timely manner. Meanwhile job hopping and promotions in the private sector can yield large pay raises and people can live in cities they want to and not work every weekend and holiday. With the status quo, it's only a matter of time before QOL issues create an exodus, largely at lower level facilities. It's already started at some.

Very well said.

Back
Top Bottom