What does a typical CPC party look like?

wrench978

Trusted Contributor
FAA
Facility
ZSU San Juan CERAP
At the risk of putting the cart before the horse, what does a typical certification party look like? We have had 1 CPC in the last couple years, and the few that we had before the pandemic were when I was a fresh A side and I wasn’t involved. Is it thrown BY the new CPC? Is it just a night out at a bar? Cookout? I have some ideas but I am curious about what traditionally happens.

Check out parties in the modern era are next to nothing, most people won’t even attempt to have one. When I got checked out at a low level facility I wanted to have a old school over the top blow out one with a rented restaurant and unlimited drinks and food. I knew I couldn’t really do that on my own so I proposed having a joint one with the other 4 people who certified that year and split the cost (none of them had any kind of check out party). but not one of them would go in on it with me. So I had a tiny one at a corner bar with my trainers and a few others I was close with.

So unless you are at a center that’s what they are like now. It’s a combination of the younger entitlement generation not thinking they own anyone anything, people being pissed at their initial assignment and not hitting it off with the lifer co-workers there, and the flood of new hires largely going to the lowest paying facilities often in high COLA areas.

Recently at my facility, people who certified around the same time, would get together and go in on a party. So about 5-9 people splitting it at a time. Rent a restaurant and free food and drinks all night.

Four facilities and I’ve never had a checkout party. I’ve seen one happen for a guy who struggled a lot and was very thankful for his trainers putting in the work. I’ll buy some nice alcohol for my trainers and dinner one night at the facility for my crew. That’s about it.

My issue with checkout parties is that they are a somewhat expected. You want to talk about entitlement? How about the people who literally had nothing to do with your training, giving you a hard time for not having a party.

Also, at the end of the day, this is a job. I don't have thousands of extra dollars laying around to pay for people to get drunk.

I personally think all that's needed, if anything, is a little gift ( bottle of whiskey, gift card, etc) to your primary and secondary trainers.
Being slightly hypocritical aren't we. "Check out parties are entitlement", except my trainers deserve this or this. In my opinion, it's either all or none. I get that it can be expensive, but it's a tradition, if you uphold it, great, if not, then you don't. Whatever I suppose. It's things like checkout parties, and crew outings that make a facility fun to work at. I guess also what I am getting at is that every single training environment I have ever been through has always involved more people than just my trainers. Someone with a tip here, someone signing papers here etc. Etc. As the age old saying goes "it takes a village".

Party at my first facility was the biggest. Invited everyone to a local bar and grille and bought apps, pizza, and drinks for anyone who showed up. Second and third facilities I just brought in lunch for everyone on the shift after I certified... making sure my trainers were on that shift.

Party at my first facility was the biggest. Invited everyone to a local bar and grille and bought apps, pizza, and drinks for anyone who showed up. Second and third facilities I just brought in lunch for everyone on the shift after I certified... making sure my trainers were on that shift.
Knew a guy who bought dinner when his trainers weren’t there ?

Checkout parties are overrated. You’re literally celebrating being successful at your job, and your training team doing their job.

No newly minted controller should be expected to blow thousands on a party.

Becoming a successful is a milestone, for sure. But to expect someone to throw a party over it is toxic.

Now if they do throw a party, and want to celebrate and bond with their team, that’s not a bad thing.

Anyone expecting an open bar and unlimited free food like they were doing you a favor by allowing you into the club to do your job is way too full of themselves. If it's gonna be an "out on the town" type of event, maybe get the first round.

Keg of beer and some burgers on a day that works for the people you like (because lets face it everyone has people they wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire at thier facility-much less pay thier bar tab, especially as a trainee), bottle of nice booze for your trainers and call it a day, but even that shouldn't be expected.

I like the idea, but it should never be expected and the newly minted CPC shouldn't be looked down upon for not footing the bill for a blowout for a bunch of people with expensive tastes and high alcohol tolerances.

Thanks for the replies guys. No one at my facility has said anything about expecting one. I would like to do something nice for those who trained me. My D side trainers got a nice bottle of whiskey or vodka, and the one trainer who doesn’t drink got a gift card to a nice restaurant. Im not looking to spend thousands. Just want to show my appreciation to those who helped me get where I will hopefully be in a couple months. Just about every CPC in my center has trained me at some point. Having so many perspectives has helped as I go.

It’s a combination of the younger entitlement generation not thinking they own anyone anything, people being pissed at their initial assignment and not hitting it off with the lifer co-workers there, and the flood of new hires largely going to the lowest paying facilities often in high COLA areas.

So basically all 3 things are the younger generations fault by your logic. I didn't throw a checkout party at my first FAA facility because why should I? My money is better spent on myself on my family. Not on trainers that half assed it. Not on people in the facility that bragged about never giving a recommendation (you realize fast that these people should have been fired for how many deals they had.)

Boomers expecting new CPCs to throw a checkout party then complaining that they're entitled by not doing it is funny as fuck.

So basically all 3 things are the younger generations fault by your logic. I didn't throw a checkout party at my first FAA facility because why should I? My money is better spent on myself on my family. Not on trainers that half assed it. Not on people in the facility that bragged about never giving a recommendation (you realize fast that these people should have been fired for how many deals they had.)

Boomers expecting new CPCs to throw a checkout party then complaining that they're entitled by not doing it is funny as fuck.
Don’t blame me just because you regret starting a “family” to early.

Back
Top Bottom