1st QTR 2017

I applied for a facility in July but we are not at our numbers to release anyone until the bew trainee checks out. My question is when the trainee checks out I should be first considering I would like to go to a facility that is in the top 5 for needing people, a senior controller just put his papers in for the same facility. Would he be chosen over me since he is my senior or would I be chosen since I put my papers in first? I heard it's first come first serve but I also heard seniority plays a factor.

I applied for a facility in July but we are not at our numbers to release anyone until the bew trainee checks out. My question is when the trainee checks out I should be first considering I would like to go to a facility that is in the top 5 for needing people, a senior controller just put his papers in for the same facility. Would he be chosen over me since he is my senior or would I be chosen since I put my papers in first? I heard it's first come first serve but I also heard seniority plays a factor.

Let's say there's one slot available, and you're the only two to apply. ATM is supposed to rank you both, which can be ranked by any factor the ATM wants. He just makes a list and sends it in. Which is why I think it's wise to call any manager and tell him you've applied and are really interested in going there. If he doesn't hear from either of you, there's no telling how the ranking will go.
If there was no ranking completed, the NCEPT team decides who gets placed there. Again, no telling what they'll base their decision on.

Let's say there's one slot available, and you're the only two to apply. ATM is supposed to rank you both, which can be ranked by any factor the ATM wants. He just makes a list and sends it in. Which is why I think it's wise to call any manager and tell him you've applied and are really interested in going there. If he doesn't hear from either of you, there's no telling how the ranking will go.
If there was no ranking completed, the NCEPT team decides who gets placed there. Again, no telling what they'll base their decision on.
Sounds reasonable. I have already contacted natca and I plan of doing a Fam trip as soon as the trainee is going to checkout right now we are one in one out with our numbers. So far this year we have gotten one trainee and we have five people trying to leave hopefully I can get picked up at atl tower when we have our opening!! Already started studying there layout as well as loa's and sop's.

Sounds reasonable. I have already contacted natca and I plan of doing a Fam trip as soon as the trainee is going to checkout right now we are one in one out with our numbers. So far this year we have gotten one trainee and we have five people trying to leave hopefully I can get picked up at atl tower when we have our opening!! Already started studying there layout as well as loa's and sop's.

Natca doesn't select people. The ATM does.

Does anyone know what exempt means we are category 1 or 2 exempt me and a coworker have been scouring the err not but have found nothing. We are also one above the national average but we aren't only 92.7 percent staffed.

Does anyone know what exempt means we are category 1 or 2 exempt me and a coworker have been scouring the err not but have found nothing. We are also one above the national average but we aren't only 92.7 percent staffed.
It means you are above the required average but not allowed to release anyone because a release would drop the fac below the required average.

wait for it...

...you have just realized one of the primary factors of why this process is so terrible.

Last edited:
Is it possible to be selected by two different facilities and to wind up having a choice? Or will the NCEPT only offer you a TOL for the higher priority facility?

Well my facility just picked up one our controllers as a supe so I am boned from being close to leave... i am so fed up with this process man.

Is national avg 85.7% right now or lower?

Well my facility just picked up one our controllers as a supe so I am boned from being close to leave... i am so fed up with this process man.

Is national avg 85.7% right now or lower?

Yes. It won't improve significantly for at least another 3-5 years
... but but but one of our sups just came back from a sup class and a northwest region manager said that staffing would be fixed in 1.5 years because the agency has met their staffing hiring goals the last two years even though the numbers he gave didn't even even out to projected losses!

... but but but one of our sups just came back from a sup class and a northwest region manager said that staffing would be fixed in 1.5 years because the agency has met their staffing hiring goals the last two years even though the numbers he gave didn't even even out to projected losses!
I just came back from a meeting with my daughters's 4th grade class and they are in agreement that 1+1 /= 5

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the national average going down actually make it easier for some facilities to release people? At 85.7% my facility couldn't release anyone without going below that but with 82.5% we would stay above the average after releasing someone.

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the national average going down actually make it easier for some facilities to release people? At 85.7% my facility couldn't release anyone without going below that but with 82.5% we would stay above the average after releasing someone.
So having less people across the board is going to staff the NAS?!? Yes, hypothetically you could release more people, but are those people willing to go, on unpaid moves, to facilities where six day work weeks are occurring, have occurred for years, and are projected to occur for at least five to six years?

So having less people across the board is going to staff the NAS?!? Yes, hypothetically you could release more people, but are those people willing to go, on unpaid moves, to facilities where six day work weeks are occurring, have occurred for years, and are projected to occur for at least five to six years?

At my facility yes. Seeing as how we've finally are at the new stupid magical number with no inbounds slated (we aren't needy enough apparently), retirements on the horizon, and folks with potential career ending medical issues. So yes, some are viewing it as perhaps the only possible time in significant future to get out to more desirable places. We also have one more possible certification coming before there is nobody in the pipeline so I'm thinking there are going to be some hurt feelings when release dates might possibly come.

I hate this new system. But I just want to make sure my interpretation of the MOU is correct in that a lower national staffing average indeed does allow for more movement.

It may benefit in isolated cases, but its a one time thing at best, and it means that the overall situation is getting worse. Lower means more facs will be ineligible quicker.

and also just to clarify, it didn't drop from 85ish% all at once. about 2% of it came 2 panels ago when they took out temp positions from counting towards staffing. It has been trending lower steadily though.

Back
Top Bottom