Anyone Hear of OKC Closures?

UtahBeach

Trusted Contributor
Relative of mine who is FAA (non-ATC) management said there were meetings out the wazzo about this Coronavirus nonsense and what the agency plans were for mitigation. Among those plans was something along the lines of closing the academy until this whole settles down. As of now, the status quo is solid...nothing is cancelled. But it was made clear that these plans can change by the day if not by the hour.

Normally I'm not one to panic...but I leave for OKC in 2 days. My work replacement starts on Monday and the new lessee for my current apartment moves in on the 1st.

Theories on how this can be executed? Could all classes be pushed ahead or would it be simpler to just re-schedule mine for down the road. I turn 31 in 2 months, is my potential job in jeopardy?

I’m sure your job is safe as if they shut things down they would reschedule people at some point, but yes, of course they could shut it all down and blow hiring for the rest of the fiscal year. Insane overreactions are happening by the hour the most latest being the NCAA thing.

Relative of mine who is FAA (non-ATC) management said there were meetings out the wazzo about this Coronavirus nonsense and what the agency plans were for mitigation.

As long as Chen Qiushi is missing, this is definitely not nonsense.

Once you have your TOL your age is irrelevant. All will be well, your job is not in jeopardy. #SaveChenQiushi

Chen1.jpg

As long as Chen Qiushi is missing, this is definitely not nonsense.

Once you have your TOL your age is irrelevant. All will be well, your job is not in jeopardy. #SaveChenQiushi

View attachment 3467
Omg...the guy dead in the wheelchair..

Edit: I'd like to know if there is any news on this as well, though. I was planning on putting in my 2 weeks this Friday, but now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
I leave for OKC in a little less than 2 weeks and have been wondering the same thing. Biggest concern being: travelling all the way to OKC then the academy promptly shuts down and/or classes are cancelled.

I spoke to my HR rep about it yesterday and was told there are currently no plans to do so. Obviously, that can change by the day. It's not an insane overreaction anymore.

All of y’all saying this is no big deal must not know how quickly the flu or colds get passed around facilities. It’s going to be a shitshow once one person gets it. Not everyone you work with has perfect immune systems or distance themselves from people at risk.

The NBA just postponed the entire season, and Tom Hanks has the virus.

Keep laughing and calling it a conspiracy theory and mocking people who want supplies.

Non-essentials will be the first told to go home... I'd say it's only a matter of time before the Academy gets shut down. On the plus side you've all just become test students for the"new" online version of Basics

As long as housing is paid for. If not, I'm about to be a homeless bitch with no job.
Wasn't that the reasoning for the FAA paying the housing providers directly now? Because during the shutdown it was a cluster and people who signed leases were being held to them etc... It's all just wait and see now.

Prepare for suffering and hard times. Do not be led down any dangerous path for you or your family just because an "authority " figure or Union man tells you something ignorant or I'll advised. Some things are more important than the #GreatestJobInTheWorld, so-called.

I’m sure your job is safe as if they shut things down they would reschedule people at some point, but yes, of course they could shut it all down and blow hiring for the rest of the fiscal year. Insane overreactions are happening by the hour the most latest being the NCAA thing.
Insane overreactions? Look what’s happening in Italy. Don’t you want to prevent that.

Insane overreactions? Look what’s happening in Italy. Don’t you want to prevent that.

I'm fine with trying to save the world and all...but considering how my timeline is pretty tight, I'm not on that macro of a concern level. I get closing the academy down is probably the right call. I don't like how that call might be made within 48 hours of me going down.

ATC won't be a pay increase for me until I hit level 9+. I'm already doubting whether all this is worth the trouble to satisfy my superiority complex over pilots. Fucking bus drivers.

I'm fine with trying to save the world and all...but considering how my timeline is pretty tight, I'm not on that macro of a concern level. I get closing the academy down is probably the right call. I don't like how that call might be made within 48 hours of me going down.

ATC won't be a pay increase for me until I hit level 9+. I'm already doubting whether all this is worth the trouble to satisfy my superiority complex over pilots. Fucking bus drivers.
Well they’ll shut it down with no remorse like they did during the gov shutdown.

Sounds like your not going into the right job, you know you provide a service right? those bus drivers are not there for your entertainment, your sole purpose as a controller is to serve those bus drivers. so my advise to you is dont go! its not worth your trouble. you wont pass without a severe attitude adjustment

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom