Enroute Class pass rate

I was one that didn't make it. It was a bit rough between the nerves and coming in cold in the morning after a 3 day weekend off nights with fireworks and gunshots until like at least 3:30 in the morning for the 4th of July. Basically 5 of us got low scores on the first eval that left little to no margin for the following ones. 3 of us didn't make many/any huge errors we just got like nickel and dimed to basically nothing. I did not think the problems I had were hard or that I was really graded unfairly but my first evaluator did not miss/overlook anything. During the after briefing where they go over the errors he said I knew what I was doing but the little errors added up quick here is your 28%.

It usually took me like a day or two to get into comfortable running after the weekend and I would have liked to at least run a couple practice problems after the weekend before evals. I think I could have avoided may of the small errors I made if I was at the top of my game and came out with decent scores. I was pretty surprised that 2 of the people had such a rough time, I had mentored one of them last week and he knew what he was doing I had thought the other was solid also. I don't really have any complaints about how thing were done other than that radar evals should really only be done on like Thursday/Friday. Starting them on a Monday or like splitting them over a weekend is kind of shitty thing to do to people to be honest.

During the after briefing where they go over the errors he said I knew what I was doing but the little errors added up quick here is your 28%.

If he was a younger looking guy, I know exactly who you're talking about. That general attitude and response is exactly his persona. Not talking about Buck who also doesn't miss things and is a stickler, but at least he's not a dick about it.

Also, sucks about the 3 day weekend. My class had to deal with the same and I'm positive at least 1 more person would have made it if it was just a normal weekend. What sucks is we originally had evals 2 days in a row, got delayed only a single day for whatever reason, then Juneteenth was suddenly declared as a holiday prompting the 3 day weekend.

If he was a younger looking guy, I know exactly who you're talking about. That general attitude and response is exactly his persona. Not talking about Buck who also doesn't miss things and is a stickler, but at least he's not a dick about it.

Also, sucks about the 3 day weekend. My class had to deal with the same and I'm positive at least 1 more person would have made it if it was just a normal weekend. What sucks is we originally had evals 2 days in a row, got delayed only a single day for whatever reason, then Juneteenth was suddenly declared as a holiday prompting the 3 day weekend.
Buck was fair to me while I was there, I said Flight Level 17,000 instead of 17,000 to my r-side and lost 2 points that I needed to pass; instead of sending me home, Buck spoke to the FAA guy on my behalf and I got those 2 points back and passed the academy with a final score of 70.02. I also think the FAA was a little more lenient to us since we were there during the shutdown; nonetheless, I wonder how many people they send home that could actually be successful in a center environment.

Dick McTool?

Buck was fair to me while I was there, I said Flight Level 17,000 instead of 17,000 to my r-side and lost 2 points that I needed to pass; instead of sending me home, Buck spoke to the FAA guy on my behalf and I got those 2 points back and passed the academy with a final score of 70.02. I also think the FAA was a little more lenient to us since we were there during the shutdown; nonetheless, I wonder how many people they send home that could actually be successful in a center environment.
I think it’s still fairly lenient but it’s severely evaluator dependent. My first two evaluators were aggressively fair. One let some little things slide and never brought them up during the debrief. Another brought up mistakes I made, said you’ll never do them again and it’s not life or death and then said he won’t write me up for it. Last evaluator was also extremely fair but was maybe more thorough. I don’t think I got any of the “harder” evaluators but I definitely got away with a lot of points, not that I really needed them anyway but it would’ve added to the stress.

ZJX
ZJX
ZLC
ZME
ZKC
ZME
ZBW
ZKC
ZSE
ZAU
ZLA
ZBW
ZAU

ZOA
ZOA
ZAN

ZJX rule applies
When do you guys test, Tuesday and Wednesday? A lot of people of people planning on ZJX again? Also pulling for my ZAN buddy after his original class got slaughtered this week.

When do you guys test, Tuesday and Wednesday? A lot of people of people planning on ZJX again? Also pulling for my ZAN buddy after his original class got slaughtered this week.

Lol hey it’s your ZAN buddy, I appreciate it.

Yes, Tu Wed evals.

Two or three would like ZAU, two wanted ZFW or ZHU so idk where they want, two want ZLC or ZLA (and one of those two is also considering ZJX), a few wanted ATL and I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with ZJX at all. The rest I am not sure. Wouldn’t be surprised if we saw some more ZJX crew! I think most are still digesting the list haha.

Dick McTool?
I didn't have him but he was around.

I'm pretty sure we could have had a couple more get by if the evals were just scheduled at the end of the week. If I had had the 2 problems I had for evals at the end of last week as just like they typical practice problems I could have probably gotten nearly clean sheets on them they were not difficult and I did not think they really had any nasty tricks either I do suspect the RPO might have done something in the wrong order on one of them but it made it easier to be honest. I would have rated them in the range of the 10's at most. They were nothing to be scared of. For me at least not running any problems for 2-3 days was rough, I had the same row instructor on Tuesday and on the Thursday after Juneteenth and he said I was basically not the same person and wanted to know what the deal was. I just took me a day or so to get back into it.

I'm pretty sure we could have had a couple more get by if the evals were just scheduled at the end of the week. If I had had the 2 problems I had for evals at the end of last week as just like they typical practice problems I could have probably gotten nearly clean sheets on them they were not difficult and I did not think they really had any nasty tricks either I do suspect the RPO might have done something in the wrong order on one of them but it made it easier to be honest. I would have rated them in the range of the 10's at most. They were nothing to be scared of. For me at least not running any problems for 2-3 days was rough, I had the same row instructor on Tuesday and on the Thursday after Juneteenth and he said I was basically not the same person and wanted to know what the deal was. I just took me a day or so to get back into it.
so now what?

So if you had passed and made it to your facility would you only request to train on your Wed/Thur/Fri? What happens when you come back from vacation or a long weekend? Being able to work right away is a part of this job.

So if you had passed and made it to your facility would you only request to train on your Wed/Thur/Fri? What happens when you come back from vacation or a long weekend? Being able to work right away is a part of this job.
I mean there’s a difference between working with the equipment for three years while you CPC and being comfortable with it and coming back from a long weekend and trying to use something that you just learned about a month ago at the academy. I get your point and I agree to an extent but they aren’t necessarily the same thing.

I mean there’s a difference between working with the equipment for three years while you CPC and being comfortable with it and coming back from a long weekend and trying to use something that you just learned about a month ago at the academy. I get your point and I agree to an extent but they aren’t necessarily the same thing.
This is true, people forget what it’s like to be a trainee or new in OKC. Our class had a weekend right before the evals and it sucked, spent all of Sunday rehearsing phraseology and obsessing about the map even though you know it by then to try to stay “fresh” for the eval.

Back
Top Bottom