ZKC
ZID

ALT:
ZAN
ZAN
ZSU
ZSU

From the ATC New Hiring Discord

Dang lot of people resigning. They still doing basics on zoom?
I mean I get it. It's a tough sell to move your whole life to all these shithole towns that Centers are located in, to make $50k with no certainty of anything better than that or ever being able to transfer. Especially when WFH jobs are a dime a dozen and you can live anywhere you want. Just looking at that list if I was from the west coast I'd probably quit too, even if I had first pick.

I mean I get it. It's a tough sell to move your whole life to all these shithole towns that Centers are located in, to make $50k with no certainty of anything better than that or ever being able to transfer. Especially when WFH jobs are a dime a dozen and you can live anywhere you want. Just looking at that list if I was from the west coast I'd probably quit too, even if I had first pick.
I do as well. I had a friend quit in one of the March graduating classes. She quit after basics for that very reason, going somewhere she didn’t want to be and potentially never being able to leave.

5/24 List
ZNY
ZAU
ZLA
ZTL
ZLA
ZDV
ZOB
ZFW
ZOB
ZDV
ZME
ZMP
ZBW
ZLC
ZAB
ZKC
ZBW
ZID

Alternates:
ZAN
ZAN
ZSU
ZSU

From the ATC New Hiring Discord

The unfortunate truth is that if you get through the academy and placed at a center, there is a 90% chance you won't be able to transfer and you will have to spend you career there.
In which case it's better that someone resigns at the academy rather than partway through training or shortly after checking out.

This is why I'm surprised that difficult-to-staff facilities like ZOA don't do direct hiring, with the contingency that you work your whole career at ZOA. There are millions of people that live in the Bay Area, how the hell are you not able to find 200-300 people willing to make $200k+/yr with a high school degree that are already living in the area? FFS Starbucks can hire thousands of baristas in the Bay Area for $20/hr but the FAA can't find a couple hundred people willing to work for approx $100/hr and amazing benefits???

I just don't get it.

In which case it's better that someone resigns at the academy rather than partway through training or shortly after checking out.

This is why I'm surprised that difficult-to-staff facilities like ZOA don't do direct hiring, with the contingency that you work your whole career at ZOA. There are millions of people that live in the Bay Area, how the hell are you not able to find 200-300 people willing to make $200k+/yr with a high school degree that are already living in the area? FFS Starbucks can hire thousands of baristas in the Bay Area for $20/hr but the FAA can't find a couple hundred people willing to work for approx $100/hr and amazing benefits???

I just don't get it.
It’s not rocket science

I just don't get it.
Maybe they know that since we are locked into 1.6% raises in perpetuity that Starbucks will be paying more then ZOA before NATCA ever attempts a new contract negotiation?

when the list comes out do you get a day or two to make a choice? Or you have to choose on the spot?
You get the list before final evaluations (usually a few days before). Then you decide after everyone completes their evaluations
jkmurray1 What they said, however the list also shrinks based on how many in the class fail with the spots on the bottom of the list dropping out for each class member lost.

Class went 6/9

You get the list before final evaluations (usually a few days before). Then you decide after everyone completes their evaluations

And then your list is shortened from the bottom up with the inevitable failures of some of your classmates. Very seldom does a class go 100%. Plenty of stories of the top performing students missing out on going home when one of their classmates did poorly on the easy points early in the Academy.

The unfortunate truth is that if you get through the academy and placed at a center, there is a 90% chance you won't be able to transfer and you will have to spend you career there.
The union should be doing more to fight for better for us. That’s their job. Instead we have an ncept where we will never leave. The next generation might. But my generation of controllers is toast. And if the union doesn’t want to fight for us then let people keep resigning. Fuck this job. Enjoy your overnight delay. You will not be enjoying nanas 90th bday.

The union should be doing more to fight for better for us. That’s their job. Instead we have an ncept where we will never leave. The next generation might. But my generation of controllers is toast. And if the union doesn’t want to fight for us then let people keep resigning. Fuck this job. Enjoy your overnight delay. You will not be enjoying nanas 90th bday.
If you were hired at the beginning of the BQ stuff, went to the Academy 2014-2016 and placed at an ARTCC, theres a very high chance you will you go your entire career without ever having an opportunity to transfer, besides becoming an FLM. You had to certify fast, and transfer immediately after CPCing, or youre fucked. The first of those controllers are going to be hitting a Decade in the agency next year, and i would say at least 80% of them are stuck.

According to Rich Santa's congressional testimony, thats a "Robust Transfer system"

So the union should fight for the betterment of staffing of the nas as a whole... or for everyone's ability to transfer to where they want to be? Because you can't please everyone. And it is literally impossible for everyone to go home... or chase the money... or transfer just to try something new. There will always be people stuck. Always.

It's ironic to me that for years the smaller towers have screamed about how natca nation doesn't care about them because the reps always come from centers/large facilities and their numbers are too small to impact elections so they're just forgotten. And now it's all the big facilities complaining that natca national is doing nothing to help them.

Back
Top Bottom