Enroute Class pass rate

It just appears there is something systemicly wrong with a pass rate that low. Given the amount of time, energy and money that goes into the whole hiring process, dropping half of your potential staffing seems absolutely insane. I'm about to go to the academy and I'm terrified by those statistics.

I mean I get that it's more expensive to have people fail in facility, but the whole thing just seems very unhealthy.
It's just not enough time for some people to succeed. Given more time at the academy I wouldn't be surprised if the pass rates went up significantly but here we are.

It just appears there is something systemicly wrong with a pass rate that low. Given the amount of time, energy and money that goes into the whole hiring process, dropping half of your potential staffing seems absolutely insane. I'm about to go to the academy and I'm terrified by those statistics.

I mean I get that it's more expensive to have people fail in facility, but the whole thing just seems very unhealthy.
I don't think there is something wrong if there are still people able to pass. If the pass rate was lower, like 25% then it could be an academy issue. The fact that the rate is 50% and trending higher lately shows that some people just aren't able to pick it up. I hope that you are one of the ones that do pick it up and are able to succeed, as well as myself who am still waiting to finish the CIL process.
It's just not enough time for some people to succeed. Given more time at the academy I wouldn't be surprised if the pass rates went up significantly but here we are.
It can be costly to extend the length of training. Just imagine, the academy is the basics of the whole career, a foundation of knowledge if you will. Once the graduates end up at a facility it can be multiple years of additional training before they're certified. If someone isn't able to learn the foundation in an amount of time deemed long enough, do you think they will pick up more advanced training at a facility? I pray that I am able to pick up the basics, graduate and make it to a facility. If not then I have to accept I didn't have what it takes then move on. Failure to understand the work isn't just someone missing out on a career, it could potentially mean the lives of others being in danger because someone wasn't sure on how to do their job.

on one hand, 3 months should be plenty of time to be able to memorize the basics of a topic and be able to apply them on simple problems
on the other hand, i have no idea what the basics of this topic exactly are and how difficult they would be to apply to simple problems
ambivalency is my forte

on one hand, 3 months should be plenty of time to be able to memorize the basics of a topic and be able to apply them on simple problems
on the other hand, i have no idea what the basics of this topic exactly are and how difficult they would be to apply to simple problems
ambivalency is my forte
People dont fail out because they don't know the information. People have trouble applying the rules and prioritizing their work. While the evals are straight forward, if you are unable to see that you have 5 things to do and quickly figure out what to do first,second, third, fourth, fifth the problem can quickly snowball on you.

It can be costly to extend the length of training. Just imagine, the academy is the basics of the whole career, a foundation of knowledge if you will. Once the graduates end up at a facility it can be multiple years of additional training before they're certified. If someone isn't able to learn the foundation in an amount of time deemed long enough, do you think they will pick up more advanced training at a facility? I pray that I am able to pick up the basics, graduate and make it to a facility. If not then I have to accept I didn't have what it takes then move on. Failure to understand the work isn't just someone missing out on a career, it could potentially mean the lives of others being in danger because someone wasn't sure on how to do their job.

This... even though some people will hit max hours at combined sectors which is already an insane amount of time to work the sector... then get more hours after failing a max hour checkride and continue to train. In my opinion if you can’t figure it out in 360hrs on your first 2 d-sides there’s very few reasons to get more time. This career is a self washing/weeding out industry and it all starts at the academy...

Last edited:
My class had 13/18 pass in March. It’s possible to do well. I think a lot has to do with how close your class is honestly. Our class was really close and everyone helped everyone, others I’ve heard aren’t like that and only pass minimums.

Back
Top Bottom