Enroute Class pass rate

A lot of times people seem like they are doing much better than they are as their instructors are carrying them through the practice problems.

I can second this. It’s very hit and miss on it. We’re finishing up the 11 series, and some will prompt you for a ton of stuff. There’s more good instructors than bad though imo.

What would have be the main reason someone who otherwise has done very well at the academy made so many mistakes at the end? Failure to manage their stress?
Stress was what got me. I went into my final eval needing a 6%. (I got a 95% and 85% in the first two.) I had the confidence that I knew my stuff but when shit started going downhill I lost it and spiraled down. From what I can remember my R side made a mistake and I let it get to me, then when I needed to do a simple key board entry which should've taken seconds, took me minutes. The stress got to me, missed stuff and I tanked. Ended up getting a 0.

Stress was what got me. I went into my final eval needing a 6%. (I got a 95% and 85% in the first two.) I had the confidence that I knew my stuff but when shit started going downhill I lost it and spiraled down. From what I can remember my R side made a mistake and I let it get to me, then when I needed to do a simple key board entry which should've taken seconds, took me minutes. The stress got to me, missed stuff and I tanked. Ended up getting a 0.

I understand. When I went through the academy in 2014, My R-Side screwed up on 2 different occasions, causing 3 sep errors. Sure, I could've been proactive with the scope, but I trusted him. Caught the fist one when I noticed the a/c still at FL180 when it was unusable & we had coordinated him. The other two just as bad. While waiting in the hallway to be called back in for scores, I knew I was toast. Needed 2 ridiculously high scores on my next runs to pass & I called it quits then.

Your R side can't cause you to lose points because of their mistakes. If they make a separation error it's on them. If it was your responsibility to take care of it, then you screwed up

Your R side can't cause you to lose points because of their mistakes. If they make a separation error it's on them. If it was your responsibility to take care of it, then you screwed up

Who runs the R sides for the problems? Academy Instructors? Contract Insturctors?

A lot of times people seem like they are doing much better than they are as their instructors are carrying them through the practice problems.
I can second this. It’s very hit and miss on it. We’re finishing up the 11 series, and some will prompt you for a ton of stuff. There’s more good instructors than bad though imo.

I haven't heard that before so I appreciate the info. When/if I clear medical and get to the academy I'll make sure to ask the instructors to run it like the evals and not provide assistance once I grasp everything.

Thanks for the reply. I've been there before just in a different career field. Sometimes it just all falls apart. Would you have done anything different in preparing yourself looking back?

By problem 11 you should be doing everything without prompting. If you are getting promoted to do things that’s not good as in the eval there will be no feedback.

I'll make sure to ask the instructors to run it like the evals and not provide assistance once I grasp everything.
You're probably not going to want to do that, or will regret doing that. It's been done where students will then ask the instructors for help with only a couple days until PAs. By then it's usually too late.

I haven't heard that before so I appreciate the info. When/if I clear medical and get to the academy I'll make sure to ask the instructors to run it like the evals and not provide assistance once I grasp everything.

Thanks for the reply. I've been there before just in a different career field. Sometimes it just all falls apart. Would you have done anything different in preparing yourself looking back?
They introduce new situations in each new problem series, so I would suggest trying to talk to your row instructor on the 2nd or 3rd run of the series to see if you can do it on your own. And if you mess up, to go over it in the debriefing, not in the middle of the problem.. it makes much more of an impact if you do/don’t do something that causes a conflict alert than being told to do one thing after another lol.

You're probably not going to want to do that, or will regret doing that. It's been done where students will then ask the instructors for help with only a couple days until PAs. By then it's usually too late.
Wholeheartedly disagree with that. Your goal should be getting the instructor to talk as little as possible during the problems. Once the problem is over let them tell you what you missed and fix it. You do not want them holding your hand. This is what our instructor preached to us (and the instructor running the problems) and 12/15 of us passed.

Last edited:
Wholeheartedly disagree with that. Your goal should be getting the instructor to talk as little as possible during the problems. Once the problem is over let them tell you what you missed and fix it. You do not want them holding your hand. This is what our instructor preached to us (and the instructor running the problems) and 12/15 of us passed.

Every person is different in what works best for them. Most important, don't be unwilling to take advice.
I don't know much about what happens in the enroute side of things, but terminal can spiral out of control quickly and waiting until the end of a scenario to critique and debrief everything leaves the student with all the situations mixed and jumbled in their recollection.

Every person is different in what works best for them. Most important, don't be unwilling to take advice.
I don't know much about what happens in the enroute side of things, but terminal can spiral out of control quickly and waiting until the end of a scenario to critique and debrief everything leaves the student with all the situations mixed and jumbled in their recollection.

I agree.

I think the student needs to try to do as much themselves as possible. But they also need to indentify when they don’t know. At that point you ask the instructor hey how do I do this? Or is this right? That’s no problem in the middle of the problem. But when you have an instructor that’s telling you to do a point out when the get is 22 miles from the boundary it doesn’t do anyone any good.

That's not a position I don't wanna be in by any means. While I haven't been through it yet I feel like I wouldn't be asking for hands off on the practice runs until I've grased everything and have a solid understanding.

They introduce new situations in each new problem series, so I would suggest trying to talk to your row instructor on the 2nd or 3rd run of the series to see if you can do it on your own. And if you mess up, to go over it in the debriefing, not in the middle of the problem.. it makes much more of an impact if you do/don’t do something that causes a conflict alert than being told to do one thing after another lol.

That's a good suggestion for sure. I would much rather have to get myself out of a conflict in practice than be assisted and then be up a creek when it happens on the evals.

Back
Top Bottom