Hardships

How often is a hardship deemed bonified by the ATM and then denied at the region level?
The ATM doesn’t decide if it’s bonafide. They just make sure all the paperwork is there and that it falls into one of the 3 categories. Then they send it up the ladder.

The ATM doesn’t decide if it’s bonafide. They just make sure all the paperwork is there and that it falls into one of the 3 categories. Then they send it up the ladder.
So if it makes it out of the building, are the chances good of it getting approved?

So if it makes it out of the building, are the chances good of it getting approved?
This just means that the people who do decide on whether it’s legit or not will get to look at it. Which I guess is better than if they don’t see it haha.

What is the likelihood of a hardship being denied even with the documentation from a doctor advising the relocation of an employees spouse to care for a parent with chronic illnesses? Is there a lot of variance in cases? Or is it generally approved if a doctor says it’s necessary? Thanks in advance.

What is the likelihood of a hardship being denied even with the documentation from a doctor advising the relocation of an employees spouse to care for a parent with chronic illnesses? Is there a lot of variance in cases? Or is it generally approved if a doctor says it’s necessary? Thanks in advance.
I feel like the hardships involving parents are the ones getting denied more frequently. I've seen some denied because one of the parents in question was receiving retirement benefits that would've paid for an in home care taker. Another one was denied because the FAA said a controllers siblings was better suited to take care of the parents even though the Dr said that wasn't the case. It's a crap shoot as this point.

I feel like the hardships involving parents are the ones getting denied more frequently. I've seen some denied because one of the parents in question was receiving retirement benefits that would've paid for an in home care taker. Another one was denied because the FAA said a controllers siblings was better suited to take care of the parents even though the Dr said that wasn't the case. It's a crap shoot as this point.
How does the FAA know all this shit? If the doctor says they need help and there isn’t anyone else to help how do they know?

Very low if you get a lawyer

What’s the likelihood of a hardship getting denied at the region for a spouse who has a blood clotting disorder and needs to relocate closer to sea level?

What’s the likelihood of a hardship getting denied at the region for a spouse who has a blood clotting disorder and needs to relocate closer to sea level?
slam dunk. The only problem would be vagueness of the doctors note. Be specific of needed region.

slam dunk. The only problem would be vagueness of the doctors note. Be specific of needed region.
not here, just in the supporting note

How does the FAA know all this shit? If the doctor says they need help and there isn’t anyone else to help how do they know?
When you do a hardship you write a statement authorizing the FAA to contact your sources so they can validate what you are telling them. I can't confirm if that's what happened but I know it was denied for those reasons.

My spouse lives in another state. Recently they officially got diagnosed with a rare disorder that could cause their throat to swell up blocking their airway and it could be fatal. Me being away from them and being alone causes them some severe anxiety. Is that grounds for hardship?

Last edited:
My spouse lives in another state. Recently they officially got diagnosed with a rare disorder that could cause their throat to swell up blocking their airway and it could be fatal. Me being away from them and being alone causes them some severe anxiety. Is that grounds for hardship?
It depends. Did they have this condition befoee you got in the agency or did it happen while you were already in?

So this definitely can qualify for article 99. She just needs a not from her doctor that says that care from that specific doctor would maintain or improve her help. The agency doesn't know that she doesn't currently live with you do they?

Yeah i believe you have a valid hardship. Put it in
So this definitely can qualify for article 99. She just needs a not from her doctor that says that care from that specific doctor would maintain or improve her help. The agency doesn't know that she doesn't currently live with you do they?
I don’t think the agency knows that they live elsewhere. I’m not sure when I would have given that info out. So I get the doctor to write a note and should be good? I can make that happen. Do they factor In if the spouse is tied down to their specific area due to work? Like my spouse can’t just pick up their things and be in my city just like that due to work. It’s hard for my spouse to find a job in my city right now in this current climate. It’s way more sensical for me to hardship to their area than it would be for them to endlessly apply for jobs over here to wait and see and in the mean time an attack occurs that ends up being fatal. But I fear it may not be seen that way.

We embraced being separated due to my job opportunity when I signed up to become an ATC but things have obviously changed due to that diagnosis that they got.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom