Leaving NATCA outside January

I've read through this thread but does anyone mind summarizing the pros and cons of being part of NATCA? I'm still in the application process but am curious about this. TIA

I've read through this thread but does anyone mind summarizing the pros and cons of being part of NATCA? I'm still in the application process but am curious about this. TIA
Pros- Controllers and even trickles down to management making significantly more money and have much better benefits than the most of the rest of the government employees.
Cons- A lot of minor little details including lack of transparency with decision making, and collaborating/compromising with the government often lacks logic.

The union is a great thing when they aren’t in bed with management. However when they are in bed with management the union is just the same as the goons in the top of the FAA looking out for themselves only….

Swaps should be prioritized instead of being considered last. Its a 1 for 1 ffs
I agree but a 1 for 1 doesn’t improve either facilities staffing number the only thing higher ups care about….add on that it puts two people back in training that are already CPC hard sell to the FAA if I had to guess

quitting NATCA is like a mashup of Brexit & The Fappening. Get to say fuck the man w happy ending; but where will i get 'free' pizza!?

giphy.gif

Pros- Controllers and even trickles down to management making significantly more money and have much better benefits than the most of the rest of the government employees.
Cons- A lot of minor little details including lack of transparency with decision making, and collaborating/compromising with the government often lacks logic.
How are our benefits better? They’re literally the same. I think our retirement is even lower then some law agencies

Certify first though
Not necessary, I quit half way through training as a CPC-IT
What cowtown said is pretty spot on. Also it gets tiring seeing 90% of the union battles “fighting for its brother/sister” is just protecting 10% of its members who are shitty.

Not necessary, I quit half way through training as a CPC-IT

What cowtown said is pretty spot on. Also it gets tiring seeing 90% of the union battles “fighting for its brother/sister” is just protecting 10% of its members who are shitty.
Don’t listen to the first part. True somewhere. False somewhere else. It depends where you are.

How are our benefits better? They’re literally the same. I think our retirement is even lower then some law agencies
Many GS positions don’t get annual pay adjustments in addition to congressional raises. And there are plenty of bones to pick and our retirement is not one of them.

Many GS positions don’t get annual pay adjustments in addition to congressional raises. And there are plenty of bones to pick and our retirement is not one of them.
Our retirement is good I’m just saying it’s not I heard of in other agencies. And the GS system has steps. But your right it’s not guaranteed every year. But they also have more of a system of transferring up to different grades throughout their career.

6 figs annually, OT being given out like a blank check, and not falling under GS pay scale. I'd genuinely like to hear your examples though, I know CBP gets double time for OT and 50% for working Sunday's, i'd definitely be interested in that.

6 figs annually, OT being given out like a blank check, and not falling under GS pay scale. I'd genuinely like to hear your examples though, I know CBP gets double time for OT and 50% for working Sunday's, i'd definitely be interested in that.
I think law enforcement gets 1.7% retirement. Post office pays less for health insurance. Your CBP example was good.

I like our benefits I’m just saying that they are pretty standard compared to other shift work positons in the government.

Our health/life/dental is gov standard.

There is definitely not unlimited OT once your facility hits anywhere close to numbers.

All NATCA has bragged about lately is getting us baby leave which the whole government got. The slate book is good but you gotta keep trying to improve so I’m curious to know what improvements they are negotiating for us.

Some of us don’t want perpetual 6 day work weeks. I’d much rather they staff adequately and us be able to move if we want

Back
Top Bottom