Pay (FAQ)

MJ

Administrator
Staff member
Pay is one of the most common questions that come up, so I wanted to try and consolidate as much info as possible into one place. There are so many scenarios, it makes it difficult to imagine them all, so I figured crowd sourcing it would be the best way. This post will be added to the FAQ and edited along the way. If you think of a situation that hasn't been covered, or can help fill in the blanks post it and we'll get it added.

General
Basic Pay = Pay rate without Locality
Base Pay = Pay rate with Locality (base rate for premium pay multipliers)

Locality never transfers, you always get the locality pay of the station you are actually at.

Transfers

ERR
On transfer: 50% of the difference between old base pay and new base pay
Certify: Remaining 50% at certification.
Washout/Withdraw: Maximum of
  1. New CPC band, or;
  2. Last certified base pay
Annual/presidential pay raises:
  1. Prior to transfer: Added into current pay, (Per HR, any raises occurred after the acceptance of an FOL will be added onto the FOL salary, if anyone has experienced something different, please advise)
  2. As CPC-IT:
  3. After certifying: As normal
  4. After wash/withdraw: Not factored into new pay
Move money: None

Further explanation: Why is 50% on the go, 50% upon certification important? Unlike a hardship or a swap, you essentially get to keep each June raise (January raises will increase the bands accordingly, and are not included in these examples for simplicity.)

Example ERR/MPP
Previous CPC salary - $100,000
New CPC band minimum salary - $120,000
Salary on the go - $100,000 + $10,000 = $110,000
First June Raise - $111,760
Second June Raise - $113,548
Certification - $113,548 + 10,000 = $123,548.

Raises during training are kept in the final CPC pay.

Example Swap/Hardship
Previous CPC salary - $100,000
New CPC band minimum salary - $120,000
Salary on the go - $100,000= $100,000
First June Raise - $101,600
Second June Raise - $103,225
Certification - $120,000

You lose the June raises that occur while you're in training.

MPP (Bid) - CPC/TMU
On transfer: same as err
Certify: same as err
Washout/Withdraw: same as err
Annual/presidential pay raises: same as err
Move money: If specified in the bid

MPP (bid) - MSS 1/2/3/4 - FG/FV pay scales at FAA Academy/Headquarters
On transfer: 100% on the go
Washout/Withdraw: You will save pay or move to the top of the band maximum (if current salary is above the band maximum)
Annual/presidential pay raises: Receive as normal
Move money: If specified in the bid

CPC-IT to MSS

Swap
On transfer: No immediate pay change
Certify:
  1. Up levels: Greater of
    1. Current pay, or;
    2. Bottom of CPC band
  2. Down levels: Lower of:
    1. Current pay, or;
    2. Top of the new CPC band
Washout/Withdraw:

Hardship
On transfer: No immediate pay change unless above the new CPC band.
Certify: If not within the current CPC band, raise to bottom of CPC band.
Washout/Withdraw:

Developmental NEST
On transfer: Lower of
  1. Current pay, or;
  2. Max of the new facility's D-band
Certify: Greater of
  1. Bottom of CPC band, or;
  2. Current pay + 6%

Facility Upgrade/Downgrades

Old facility upgraded after transferring to a new facility. Effective upgrade date was prior to transfer.
Pay will be adjusted from the effective date of the upgrade and will be back-paid.

Raises
Lump Sums
A lump sum will be paid out for any raise received when at the top of a pay band. The lump sum is the amount the raise would have added to the yearly salary.
Example: Salary $100,000/yr, Raise 1.4%. The pay period the raise goes into effect you would be paid $1,400.

CIP
  • CIP is a premium pay and not part salary calculations.
  • It comes from a fixed amount of budgeted money and will stop being paid once that pool runs out for the given fiscal year
  • Unlike other premiums, it is a percentage of basic pay, not base pay.

1. If I transfer to a new facility then hardship while training, do I just go back to my 1st facilities pay until I certify at the 3rd facility or do I get to keep the 50% bump from the 2nd facility?
It's treated as any other hardship: you will keep whatever your basic pay is from when you hardship (within the new band).

Last edited:
MPP (Bid)
On transfer: same as err?
Certify: same as err?

Depends on what the job is. MSS 1/2/3/4 positions you get the full amount on your first day. FG and FV pay scales for the Academy and Headquarters you get the full amount. TMU is the same as CPC transfers where the difference is split into 50% chunks.

Depends on what the job is. MSS 1/2/3/4 positions you get the full amount on your first day. FG and FV pay scales for the Academy and Headquarters you get the full amount. TMU is the same as CPC transfers where the difference is split into 50% chunks.
Any idea if you wash/withdraw from a SUP job, what your pay would be set at? My first thought would be you'd return to what your previous salary was and since they weren't entitled to the June raises while out of the bargaining unit, that would not be factored into previous salary while they're away, but I have not seen it firsthand.

Any idea if you wash/withdraw from a SUP job, what your pay would be set at? My first thought would be you'd return to what your previous salary was and since they weren't entitled to the June raises while out of the bargaining unit, that would not be factored into previous salary while they're away, but I have not seen it firsthand.
"The pay for an employee who is transferred out of the MSS-2/3/4 pay system during an initial supervisory/managerial probationary period due to failure to satisfactorily complete the probationary period will be set in accordance with the new pay system."

Another useful file is the HRPM Comp-2.1AT. There's a couple more, but I'm forgetting the names and I can't access the HR Policy Manual right now.

Attachments

• RMMSS234PayGuide.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 263
Does anyone have a link to the language that says you don't get your old FERS rate if there is a break in federal service? I swear one of our previous exp prior FAA guys got his old rate back...

Does anyone have a link to the language that says you don't get your old FERS rate if there is a break in federal service? I swear one of our previous exp prior FAA guys got his old rate back...

Your retirement coverage would depend on how long you were away from federal service and what your retirement system was when you resigned.

If you were FERS at the time of your resignation, you would return to the FERS retirement system. If you had less than five years of creditable civilian service at the time of your resignation, you would contribute 4.4% (4.9% if you returned to a position covered by the special provisions for law enforcement officers, firefighters, etc.) of your salary to the FERS system, regardless of how much you were contributing at the time you left. If you had five or more years of creditable civilian service at the time of your resignation, you would contribute to FERS at the same rate you did before you left.

What Happens to My Benefits If I Leave Federal Service and Then Return in the Future? : FedSmith.com

Anyone know what month CIP normally runs out?
I feel like it's usually about 2-3 weeks before the new fiscal year. So, sometime in September, then Oct 1 rolls around and we get it again. I could be wrong.

How does pay work going from a controller to a supervisor?

Depends on the facility levels involved and what your current pay is.
But a Level 12 CPC going to a level 4 FLM is still considered career enhancement and would be eligible for save-pay for three years. After that, they would drop to the top of the level 4 MSS2 payband.
There is all sorts of rules, so can you give a more specific example?

If I were to ERR from a level 11 to a level 12, would I get the 4% raise upon transfer or certification?

If I were to ERR from a level 11 to a level 12, would I get the 4% raise upon transfer or certification?
Depending on your current pay, it's 6% increase or the level 12 CPC band minimum (whichever is greater.) Then you'd get half of that raise onn the effective date at the new facility, and the other half when you get fully qualified.

If you transfer from a 10 to and 11, but the locality was higher at the level 10, would you keep the pay with locality plus 6%?
No. All pay calculations are done without locality included.
Once that number is calculated, then the locality is added on.

Back
Top Bottom