SFO Strikes Again

I worked somewhere where we did failed and successful squeeze plays all day, common sense was to not load up the runway with a plane in front of the one we just made go around on the second attempt (I have seen someone do this twice almost three times). Who knows, i'm stupid enough to try it fail once but I probably wouldn't try it ever again and learn from it. I hope this person did the same.

5 miles is enough of a gap for a 772. A 737 can sidestep 2 miles out when runways are 750 feet apart if the pilot wanted to. It was a last ditch effort because he knew it wasn’t going to work. This wasn’t bad controlling dude.

If we’re going to vilify our own on a public forum let’s at least make sure it’s egregious. AUS, the past couple instances at SFO, NMAC with a smile at PHL, etc. That’s bad controlling. This ain’t it.
Forget a CPC in this instance for a moment. Say you’re monitoring a Dev or CPCIT and they send someone around after cocking one back during a squeeze, then do the exact same thing again to the same jet they just sent around before. You’re gonna sit here and act like you, as an OJTI, wouldn’t put comments on a dash 25 for control judgement??

Common sense would say they’ve been sent around once, how about don’t recreate the same situation with the same potential for it to happen again. Lest not forget about all the passengers on board and the two radar pattern laps worth of undue delay being served up here. Now bring a CPC back into the subject and about everything I’ve said above is probably what ended up on their PROC, which not that one means very much administratively. But the sentiment stands, this WAS bad controlling and pretty much any OJTI or OS that witnessed something like this in either instance would agree.

Last edited:
Forget a CPC in this instance for a moment. Say you’re monitoring a Dev or CPCIT and they send someone around after cocking one back during a squeeze, then do the exact same thing again to the same jet they just sent around before. You’re gonna sit here and act like you, as an OJTI, wouldn’t put comments on a dash 25 for control judgement??

Common sense would say they’ve been sent around once, how about don’t recreate the same situation with the same potential for it to happen again. Lest not forget about all the passengers on board and the two radar pattern laps worth of undue delay being served up here. Now bring a CPC back into the subject and about everything I’ve said above is probably what ended up on their PROC, which not that one means very much administratively. But the sentiment stands, this WAS bad controlling and pretty much any OJTI or OS that witnessed something like this in either instance would agree.
Common courtesy maybe but common sense says that scenario would more often than not work. How do you know they got a PRoC?

If you listen to the audio, you’ll notice it’s two different controllers. The first go around may not have been included in the relief briefing.

OMGz u aren't allowed to talk bad about SFO during pride month!!!

spanking bad boy GIF by kevy

Common courtesy maybe but common sense says that scenario would more often than not work. How do you know they got a PRoC?
I understand one go around because when you’re at a busy facility that runs things pretty tight it just happens sometimes. But a second go around from doing the exact same thing? Eat the gap and let them land. And when a pilot files a complaint over some silly $#!+ like this you can almost garauntee a PRoC was given, it’s management. Lol

Back
Top Bottom