SFO Strikes Again

Since the TRACON people are already in here talking shit:

- Arrival claims UAL had 15 aircraft lined up for 28L. This leads me to believe Norcal Approach isn't giving the required spacing to SFO per their LOA. Ill check on that later.
- Departure was lined up when aircraft was 4 mile final.
- SFO relayed to departure to be ready and that arrival would be just inside 2 mile final. Ive seen this type of thing happen regularly at my tower when up and down the same runway. Local had the departure prompted and ready.

I'm assuming that had the Local Controller waited, the exact situation would occur in the next gap. I'm going to go watch the replay myself and read their LOA. Radar only controllers cause these problems. They sit at their facility with an ASDE display and point to it and see "see it worked" after local gives S Turns, slows the arrivals down, does all types of prompting just to make sure runway separation exists and then delays departures because they can't follow simple LOAs.

Since the TRACON people are already in here talking shit:

- Arrival claims UAL had 15 aircraft lined up for 28L. This leads me to believe Norcal Approach isn't giving the required spacing to SFO per their LOA. Ill check on that later.
- Departure was lined up when aircraft was 4 mile final.
- SFO relayed to departure to be ready and that arrival would be just inside 2 mile final. Ive seen this type of thing happen regularly at my tower when up and down the same runway. Local had the departure prompted and ready.

I'm assuming that had the Local Controller waited, the exact situation would occur in the next gap. I'm going to go watch the replay myself and read their LOA. Radar only controllers cause these problems. They sit at their facility with an ASDE display and point to it and see "see it worked" after local gives S Turns, slows the arrivals down, does all types of prompting just to make sure runway separation exists and then delays departures because they can't follow simple LOAs.
I feel like the SFO controllers would make noise about NCT violating the LOA to management far before they just accept it and try squeeze plays that don’t work.

Wasn't a squeeze play in this situation, the departure was slow to roll. Almost 3 miles is plenty but they took their time. Tower maybe misplaced their anger at the situation but there have been meetings between the two and nothing ever changes. We ask for help they can't or aren't willing to do anything, their planes are more important in their words (this has been said to us several times).

It's a constant struggle to even just get these aircraft off the runway because we're too proud and make it work. We can ask for intrail to 28R (which is in the LOA), and we just get fed intrail to 28L. The amount of work a single local has to do day in and day out is nuts (6 days a week mind you), instead of the "haha SFO screwed up again" maybe we should be looking at why.

Shit like this keeps happening and we’re screaming give me a raise. Professionalism seems to have been lost during covid.

It’s a privilege to be trusted with public safety and move airplanes around the nas. Step up people. Take pride in what you do and pay that forward as OJTI’s.

Back
Top Bottom