Alternative Housing

Mariov

Lurker
I hear a lot about Kim’s and IB when it comes to saving the most money, but if you might end up with roommates anyways doesn’t it make more sense to find a room for rent on Craigslist? I’ve seen dozens for around 500-600 per month, surely that will let you pocket a lot more.
Has anyone gone this route? I’ve got class starting end of May and wondering if it’s more of a hassle or if there are special requirements for taking this option.

I hear a lot about Kim’s and IB when it comes to saving the most money, but if you might end up with roommates anyways doesn’t it make more sense to find a room for rent on Craigslist? I’ve seen dozens for around 500-600 per month, surely that will let you pocket a lot more.
Has anyone gone this route? I’ve got class starting end of May and wondering if it’s more of a hassle or if there are special requirements for taking this option.
I did exactly that. When you submit for reimbursement you'll need to print out a copy of the ad showing it was publicly available for rent. You'll then need to provide receipts when submitting for reimbursement.

Even with the cheapest rate, Kim's place is still ~$1,200 a month. ~$1,200 a month x 2 other roommates= $3,600 a month. Add in that they're identical duplex's... that's $7,200 in revenue...each month...on a single duplex...in OKC. For those that don't know the history, Kim started out with one duplex and now controls the majority of the neighborhood. It's not hard to see why. When the academy is in full swing, it's a license to print money.

Last edited:
I did exactly that. When you submit for reimbursement you'll need to print out a copy of ad showing it was publicly available for rent. You'll then need to provide receipts when submitting for reimbursement.

Even with the cheapest rate, Kim's place is still ~$1,200 a month. ~$1,200 a month x 2 other roommates= $3,600 a month. Add in that they're identical duplex's... that's $7,200 in revenue...each month...on a single duplex...in OKC. For those that don't know the history, Kim started out with one duplex and now controls the majority of the neighborhood. It's not hard to see why. When the academy is in full swing, it's a license to print money.
Jesus, I haven't looked into any of the places yet because I haven't even gotten EODS, but is that how Kim's really works?! 1200/person, regardless if there are roommates or not? That is insane and seems like a ripoff whether we get per diem or not.

If you do go this route, tell the owner to visit the site. I'd like to build a list of smaller providers for exactly this purpose.

Side question: how can you be at zmp and not have attended academy yet.

Last edited:
I did exactly that. When you submit for reimbursement you'll need to print out a copy of ad showing it was publicly available for rent. You'll then need to provide receipts when submitting for reimbursement.

She basically doles out responsibility to her family and takes vacations lol. I have to hand it to the capitalist, she is raking it in. PUBG MJ?

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking that! It’s an absurd amount they’re making off of us. I’d rather forgo the “convenience” of these FAA friendly units and find my own housing.
Thanks for the info on what I need to do to show proof, I really appreciate it.
Once I go through with it I’ll post a thread to share the pros and cons of my experience.

I was thinking last week about making a post about this.... paying that much in rent for sub par places sounds crazy to me... I’d much rather rent from somewhere else I will definitely be following this thread as I have just completed my CIL and am just waiting for the phone call and class date!

Check Craigslist or AirBnB. A lot of people still cater to FAA students and know the gig. The guy I stayed with had rented to FAA students for 5+ years and had all his past renters as references. Your class will stay all over. You'll have no issue driving to Kims or Isola Bella or wherever for study groups. Where you stay does not determine whether you pass the academy or not, your work ethic does.

Again, I applaud Kim's Capitalistic methods and desire for profit. That being said the beds, couches, HVAC, everything is super cheap and not of the highest quality. She is making a ton of money don't kid yourself but there are much better options available.

Again, I applaud Kim's Capitalistic methods and desire for profit. That being said the beds, couches, HVAC, everything is super cheap and not of the highest quality. She is making a ton of money don't kid yourself but there are much better options available.
I also applaud the hell out of it. If I worked in OKC I'd be buying up real estate left and right.

I am going to the academy next week, and I rented directly from Anatole, and signed a three month lease. It’s only $935/ month... I rented from CORT furniture for $200/ month ( they gave a discount for being FAA) it doesn’t end up saving you as much as a place off Craigslist might but still saving about $600/ month.

I visited OKC three weeks ago and toured Anatole and drove by Kim’s place in Yukon, Isola Bella and the Hudson apartments. The Anatole looked the nicest and is only 7 minutes away. Isola Bella and Kim’s place are at least 20 minutes away from the academy. Isola Bella is a mediocre apartment complex at best and about 25 minutes from the academy. The Hudson apartments are in a sketchy neighborhood and 20 minutes. I agree with the others to just get an apartment on your own as the rental market there is cheap and if possible to visit OKC before moving in to get a feel of the area where you will be staying. Doing this helped make my decision way easier when I do get a class date.

I visited OKC three weeks ago and toured Anatole and drove by Kim’s place in Yukon, Isola Bella and the Hudson apartments. The Anatole looked the nicest and is only 7 minutes away. Isola Bella and Kim’s place are at least 20 minutes away from the academy. Isola Bella is a mediocre apartment complex at best and about 25 minutes from the academy. The Hudson apartments are in a sketchy neighborhood and 20 minutes. I agree with the others to just get an apartment on your own as the rental market there is cheap and if possible to visit OKC before moving in to get a feel of the area where you will be staying. Doing this helped make my decision way easier when I do get a class date.
2/3 of my class is at kims and it takes maybe 15 minutes

Can people post their experience using alternative housing such as Air BnB? I’m looking at one place and the user has great reviews and is only about 10 mins from the Academy.

Looking at how much we will be making and my deductions looking like $300 per pay period I want to save as much as I can.

Thank you!

Can people post their experience using alternative housing such as Air BnB? I’m looking at one place and the user has great reviews and is only about 10 mins from the Academy.

Looking at how much we will be making and my deductions looking like $300 per pay period I want to save as much as I can.

Thank you!
I stayed with a guy I found on craigslist. He was awesome. He rented a room out to students for years for $500 a month. He was barely home so I had the house to myself the majority of the time. Although secondary, it was great getting to know him and I felt good knowing I was helping him pay off a portion of his mortgage. It was less then 10 minutes to the MMAC. If you're smart, you're constantly doing things with your class throughout the day and weekends, whether its study groups or simply going to different events around town. Where you stay is simply a place to crash. Our class would go back and forth between Kim's, Isola Bella, Anatole, etc. for study groups.
With a housing per diem of over $1,500 a month, I saved over a grand a month.
Again, where you stay does not determine if you pass or fail the academy, your work ethic does.

I stayed with a guy I found on craigslist. He was awesome. He rented a room out to students for years for $500 a month. He was barely home so I had the house to myself the majority of the time. Although secondary, it was great getting to know him and I felt good knowing I was helping him pay off a portion of his mortgage. It was less then 10 minutes to the MMAC. If you're smart, you're constantly doing things with your class throughout the day and weekends, whether its study groups or simply going to different events around town. Where you stay is simply a place to crash. Our class would go back and forth between Kim's, Isola Bella, Anatole, etc. for study groups.
With a housing per diem of over $1,500 a month, I saved over a grand a month.
Again, where you stay does not determine if you pass or fail the academy, your work ethic does.
While this is mostly true, to act as if it plays no role in it would be naïve

While this is mostly true, to act as if it plays no role in it would be naïve
I disagree in this sense...

Where you choose to rest your head at night does not determine how you manage the hours in which you're awake. It also will not increase ones IQ or mental capacity to do this job nor change the person's background or prior knowledge. It does, however, provide a convenience.

Convenience can be both positive and negative. When you hear stories of entire Duplex's washing out, you often wonder how much the 6 of them branched out beyond their duplex.

Now if you remove a strong work ethic from the equation, I would highly encourage anyone who believes they have a questionable work ethic or poor study habits to live wherever the majority of their class is living, simply because it will force them into study groups and (hopefully) better time management skills. In this case, where they stay could have a profound impact on them.

For all those staying at Kim's, IB, Anatole, etc. it's easy to be lulled into simply studying with those who live closest to you, I'd encourage you guys to branch out occasionally . If you're consistently studying with the same 2 to 3 people, you never know what you could be missing elsewhere.

I keep researching this but I can’t make up my mind..

My girlfriend and our daughter are moving down with me for school for their summer break.. I’m looking for an affordable 2br apt that won’t take more than the allotted per diem.. any advice?

I know Kim’s is expensive
Not interested in IB based on all the bad reviews I’ve seen
Maybe Anatole?
Interested in finding other providers than these three

I keep researching this but I can’t make up my mind..

My girlfriend and our daughter are moving down with me for school for their summer break.. I’m looking for an affordable 2br apt that won’t take more than the allotted per diem.. any advice?

I know Kim’s is expensive
Not interested in IB based on all the bad reviews I’ve seen
Maybe Anatole?
Interested in finding other providers than these three
You can check Anatole (think maybe just a little more then housing perdiem) but I think the only one that does not charge extra is Isola Bella.
Housing perdiem is $57 and $37.40/day for meals and incidentals

Back
Top Bottom