Alternative Housing

I agree you don't need to live with people from your class, but I constantly found myself thinking what if this happened at random times throughout the day. It is really nice to be able to have a talking session Sunday at 8am or Saturday a 1am about what to do in XXX situation. At the end of the day tho it doesn't really matter if you are motivated.

However, if you don't have a car then def stay where your class is staying.

Great responses and looking to go the airbnb or craigslist route. I just wanted to clear up some questions I have. Whether you use the full per diem for food and lodging or not, do you get the full per diem and get to keep what you don't use? I'm finding mixed answers about this. I'm trying to figure out before I book something on what kind of documentation I should be looking out for, like any receipts obtained, breakaway2000 mentioned, "printing the ad off" (good to note), anything else? Anyone who did craigslist or airbnb did you have any issues with getting reimbursed? Thanks for any help!

Great responses and looking to go the airbnb or craigslist route. I just wanted to clear up some questions I have. Whether you use the full per diem for food and lodging or not, do you get the full per diem and get to keep what you don't use? I'm finding mixed answers about this. I'm trying to figure out before I book something on what kind of documentation I should be looking out for, like any receipts obtained, breakaway2000 mentioned, "printing the ad off" (good to note), anything else? Anyone who did craigslist or airbnb did you have any issues with getting reimbursed? Thanks for any help!

If you pay for housing out of pocket you keep the remaining money.

We had our briefing on this Thursday. He said Air bnb has horrible receipts and is a lot more difficult to get you your voucher and per diem if you choose them over a Kim's, Anatole, etc.

I did exactly that. When you submit for reimbursement you'll need to print out a copy of the ad showing it was publicly available for rent. You'll then need to provide receipts when submitting for reimbursement.

If I book all 4 months up front through Airbnb and get only one receipt, is there a way to still submit for reimbursement?

To benefit Kim's Place, I've stayed there twice now. Each time worked out great. Having roommates was a plus for me, for we car pooled and helped each other out with accountability of getting to Mike Monroney on time. Since we had 3 in our class in one location, we also were able to use the living room to fit the whole class to do big study sessions. Quite a bit of people choose the Kims route, so having other ATC students to answer questions is also a plus. Easier to get together with other folks, and not be so isolated in a new city.

She makes a bit of money doing it, I also applaud that. Although, I do feel that if you're going to academy for first time, having a campus style stay is beneficial. For returning RTF students, and other stays, choosing elsewhere is a fine option for you know more of what's going on.

If I book all 4 months up front through Airbnb and get only one receipt, is there a way to still submit for reimbursement?

I guess I found my answer, Airbnb charges monthly for stays longer than 28 days, can't see why this won't work... still a little scared to book.

I am going to the academy next week, and I rented directly from Anatole, and signed a three month lease. It’s only $935/ month... I rented from CORT furniture for $200/ month ( they gave a discount for being FAA) it doesn’t end up saving you as much as a place off Craigslist might but still saving about $600/ month.

@NayNay

How many rooms did you have?

Check Craigslist or AirBnB. A lot of people still cater to FAA students and know the gig. The guy I stayed with had rented to FAA students for 5+ years and had all his past renters as references. Your class will stay all over. You'll have no issue driving to Kims or Isola Bella or wherever for study groups. Where you stay does not determine whether you pass the academy or not, your work ethic does.

I've heard about how troublesome it's been for some students to collect their per diem when going through Airbnb. I've booked my stay already. Any tips on how to prepare for the wrath? My host seems cool so I don't think she'd mind filling out paperwork or itemizing a receipt for me.

I stayed in OKC about 10 minutes from the academy at Esperanza Apartments 2bd 1bth for $625/month plus utilities. It wasn’t a fantastic area but it really wasn’t too bad. I was there with my husband and we enjoyed being close to many food options, stores, and the Academy.

Anyone ever hear of someone living in an RV at one of the local RV sites? I've been contemplating this seeing as its only about 600$ a month for a RV site or less.

Currently staying Kim’s.
I find the $1200 reasonable.
John and Kim are both extremely quick to respond to any questions/issues I have. Most my class is here as well making it easier for study groups. I debated IB/ABNB/Anatole/renting and I am glad I didn’t.
If you have any questions you can inbox me

Also, I do not believe the academy accepts air BNB air craigslist anymore

I stayed in OKC about 10 minutes from the academy at Esperanza Apartments 2bd 1bth for $625/month plus utilities. It wasn’t a fantastic area but it really wasn’t too bad. I was there with my husband and we enjoyed being close to many food options, stores, and the Academy.
Do they allow dogs? We have 2

Back
Top Bottom