August (Q4) 2022

"PeOpLe UsEd To GeT FoUr YeAr ReLeAsE DaTeS!!!"

Well here I am six years in with no end in sight so f**k off with the "old system was worse" BS. All anyone can ever give is anecdotes about somebody who waited four or five years one time and they completely ignore the fact that for a lot of facilities in the NAS transfers are now and always will be impossible.
This is 100% right. The four-year release thing was very rare too. It was almost always no worse than 2 or 2.5 years, even in the absolute worst staffing situations. You almost never see anyone other than the highest and oldest NATCA brass bring that up anyway, this guy arguing for it must be the Ohama TRACON Fac Rep. NATCA traded an occasional 2+ year release date for impossible release dates for many of their members and consider it a win. It's ok, as Mick would say we just need to "train our way out of it".

It’s funny too because I started just before NCEPT, and the ATM and Facrep asked on my first day where I wanted to end up, because they were a training facility, and it was expected you’d get trained up and bid out. There were 7-8 controllers with release dates on the day I got there. They then decided our staffing number was 7 controllers higher than the facility had ever run with and under NCEPT there have been 2 releases, all with several years between each. Tell me again how it’s working better
The ATM and Facrep decided to up the staffing number

"PeOpLe UsEd To GeT FoUr YeAr ReLeAsE DaTeS!!!"

Well here I am six years in with no end in sight so f**k off with the "old system was worse" BS. All anyone can ever give is anecdotes about somebody who waited four or five years one time and they completely ignore the fact that for a lot of facilities in the NAS transfers are now and always will be impossible.
"Boo hoo, my life is so hard. The FAA sent me to a level 11 with no state income tax where I trained for just as long as I've been certified and probably bought a house with an ultra low interest rate that only doubled in value in the last 3 years and now the FAA won't have staffing for me to transfer to my dream facility for at least another year!"

Sorry bro, it's hard to pity you. -Signed, level 5 controller stuck in a black hole in a dog shit location for 5 years and counting.

Apparently they offered the 13 that were skipped the facilities they were passed on for.
Gotta think they have NotRichSanta to thank for shedding light on it and causing some uproar so they had to remedy the situation.

Under the old system, some places wouldn't release at all, release dates were definitely an impediment to getting picked up, and it was easier to get black balled. Basically it all depended on how much of a dick head your ATM was.

For my facility, NCEPT was a wash. We don't get ERRs anymore, when we used to get a decent amount. But we also release in a more orderly fashion (no more mass exodus). But we also don't have a bullshit staffing number and we revamped our training program long before any NTI or point 4 changes.

"Boo hoo, my life is so hard. The FAA sent me to a level 11 with no state income tax where I trained for just as long as I've been certified and probably bought a house with an ultra low interest rate that only doubled in value in the last 3 years and now the FAA won't have staffing for me to transfer to my dream facility for at least another year!"

Sorry bro, it's hard to pity you. -Signed, level 5 controller stuck in a black hole in a dog shit location for 5 years and counting.

Gotta think they have NotRichSanta to thank for shedding light on it and causing some uproar so they had to remedy the situation.
Lol it's not a competition, you and I can both be screwed by NCEPT. However, I'll concede that your life sounds way worse than mine. Now if you'll excuse me I need to jump in the ferrari and get some jamba juice before crossfit. /s

More seriously, it must really suck to be stuck in a low level, I get that. However, one of the facilities I would be thrilled to get to is a level 6. It is fun to shit on Z's and I love the banter but helping someone like me would very likely help someone in a low level get home.

I was apparently one who was skipped over. Didn't even know until the facrep at my new facility congratulated me this evening. Wild ride of emotions. No TOL yet, but a buddy who also got picked up for teansfer this panel in the main group hasn't received one yet either. I expect a few days for them to all come out to everyone.

No particular order:

SJU -> AUS
LAN -> DCA
CAK -> LOU
MMU -> ICT
TUL -> MDT
DPA -> ZSE
TYS -> ZSE
AVP -> ZMP
ALB -> ZMP
GCN -> HCF
SBN -> A80
DSM -> LAX
GCN to LAX is a huge move, not just traffic wise but from like the same 10 people you see in the GCN area to being stuffed into LA and commuting to work in shitty traffic.

Back
Top Bottom