Is switching from controller to supervisor for better money/transfer chances worth it?

I'm in the same boat at my facility. I applied to a few OS bids two months ago. I check USAjobs/Aviator on a daily basis to see to see if there are any updates. Just tell me already that I didn't get (or can't be released) either of them so I can mentally move on.
The USAJobs purgatory is the absolute worst.
Don't count on any updates actually coming from USAjobs. You're far more likely to get the information you need by actually calling the HR reps listed at the bottom of each application and asking/bugging/begging them directly for status updates on the position. Not a guarantee, but much more likely.

from application to actually getting a tol is about six months. And its random. They don't do any interviews. They don't update you on where the process is for selection. One day six months after you have already forgotten that you applied to a position youll get a random email.

I’d rather live in Mogadishu than be a supe
  • Captain Steele: Sergeant, what's going on here?
    Hoot: Oh, just some visual separation sir, didn't want to file the ATSAP.
    Steele: I'm talking about your pickle switch. Level 12 TRACON or no level 12 TRACON, that's a hot mic. You know better than that. Your safety should be on at all times on base.
    Hoot: Well, this is my safety, sir. *flexes thumb*
    Sanderson: Let it go, sir. The guy hasn't banged out in a couple of days.
    Steele: You TRACON boys are a bunch of undisciplined cowboys. Let me tell you something, Sergeant. We get on the five-yard line, you're going to need my VFR tower boys. So you all better learn to be team players. We're done here.
    Sanderson: Enjoy your grievance, captain.

Steele: I'm talking about your pickle switch. Level 12 TRACON or no level 12 TRACON, that's a hot mic. You know better than that. Your safety should be on at all times on base.
    Steele: You TRACON boys are a bunch of undisciplined cowboys. Let me tell you something, Sergeant. We get on the five-yard line, you're going to need my VFR tower boys. So you all better learn to be team players. We're done here.

Hahahaha the application of this to real life is… too accurate.

I'm not even seeing any light as a controller. We finally let one go after 7 years and now our numbers won't allow a transfer for about 4+ years. The town I'm in is worse than my little hometown back home because it's just as barren, but missing all the friends and family. Nothing to do here. I drive 2-3 hours just to do anything enjoyable. I would hate to go back to college or relearn anything else so I'd rather stay instead of quit but some days...

Why don't they want to keep the controllers happy that are already in and CPC? Why isn't there some kind of rule where when I CPC, after 5 year minimum they send a trainee or 2 from academy to fill my spot and guarantee release to a facility up to 3 levels up or something? It just doesn't make sense. And idk if it's just me, but post-covid is making everything seem even more unbearable.
Or I do long distance with my wife because of her child custody agreement and have someone at a level 12 Z that wants to be at my level 12 Z who also is doing long distance with his wife who is at our TMU, but yet we can’t just swap because of the staffing levels. Makes 0 sense to me 2 level 12 CPCs and can’t just switch spots because the NCEPT/ERR process.

People are always constantly bashing the supe job and I still don't understand why.

You get paid more...to do less...Differentials still apply, you can come in for overtime, and you're still out the door by 50. Also, currency is a thing to satisfy the controller itch. Hell, it's not like you're suddenly held to higher standards either. Plenty of supes have completely fucked up and they just get a slap on the wrist. Even if you were paid the same, it's tempting solely due to the fact you're putting in less effort.

Oh no, you can't say derogatory terms to your coworkers (day on the beach if you do) and have to dress nicely! Seriously, what's the catch? Or is it dependent on the facility? I guess it's one thing if you're here entirely for the job (do those people still exist?), but if you're here for the money, supe seems the way to go. Speaking of which, couldn't you just keep plugging in and go beyond currency hours? I recall there was a supe that plugged in way more than every other supe just because he got bored some days.

People are always constantly bashing the supe job and I still don't understand why.

You get paid more...to do less...Differentials still apply, you can come in for overtime, and you're still out the door by 50. Also, currency is a thing to satisfy the controller itch. Hell, it's not like you're suddenly held to higher standards either. Plenty of supes have completely fucked up and they just get a slap on the wrist. Even if you were paid the same, it's tempting solely due to the fact you're putting in less effort.

Oh no, you can't say derogatory terms to your coworkers (day on the beach if you do) and have to dress nicely! Seriously, what's the catch? Or is it dependent on the facility? I guess it's one thing if you're here entirely for the job (do those people still exist?), but if you're here for the money, supe seems the way to go. Speaking of which, couldn't you just keep plugging in and go beyond currency hours? I recall there was a supe that plugged in way more than every other supe just because he got bored some days.
Plus being able to earn unlimited credit is a huge bonus. Log all those times you showed up 10 mins early for an extra 10 days off a year.

The catch is you have to do a crap ton of paperwork. Controllers are always complaining to you, or texting you asking you to look at their leave request. You have to brief/enforce policy you didn't make and may not agree with. You may or may not get a break throughout your day. Plus your OM/ATM wants you to do more PROCs and answer all the emails and go to supe meetings on your day off and teach Recurrent Training and "donate" $5 to wear jeans on Friday. But hey at least you get to get your eight hours of currency at five am on a Saturday morning each week.

Or I do long distance with my wife because of her child custody agreement and have someone at a level 12 Z that wants to be at my level 12 Z who also is doing long distance with his wife who is at our TMU, but yet we can’t just swap because of the staffing levels. Makes 0 sense to me 2 level 12 CPCs and can’t just switch spots because the NCEPT/ERR process.
The agency considers this 2 lost CPCs

The catch is you have to do a crap ton of paperwork. Controllers are always complaining to you, or texting you asking you to look at their leave request. You have to brief/enforce policy you didn't make and may not agree with. You may or may not get a break throughout your day. Plus your OM/ATM wants you to do more PROCs and answer all the emails and go to supe meetings on your day off and teach Recurrent Training and "donate" $5 to wear jeans on Friday. But hey at least you get to get your eight hours of currency at five am on a Saturday morning each week.
None of that sounds that bad except for possibly not getting a break

Jesus Christ I want more ? what an epic movie quote spinoff

If you don’t want to quit and go back to school and don’t want to wait 15 years(LOL). Apply for a DoD ATC gig/contract tower and work there until you can apply back in again on a prior experience bid. Even better if the contract tower is NATCA.

Currency and proficiency are two different things. Yeah, you still get to control but now you suck at it. The pay thing isnt true for a lot of places, CPCs take home more in general. And you get shit on by all controllers and upper management.

Back
Top Bottom