July 2020

BOI was bumped back up to an eight after pulling in Bozeman airspace. GEG is hoping for the same when they pull in PSC approach.
Oh, didn't know they got the bump back up. Getting hired new at a level 8 up/down even with military experience is pushing it for sure. Level 7 should definitely be the cut off

Oh, didn't know they got the bump back up. Getting hired new at a level 8 up/down even with military experience is pushing it for sure. Level 7 should definitely be the cut off

8 isn't the lowest, they're hired at all levels, and the FAA just sets them up for failure. Yet people wanna be salty when a lower level CPC loses their hope for a slot at SAT, MEM, or CVG because some military future washout took it.

BOI is an 8 up down, for as much as a lower level CPC would love to go to either of those facilities, it won't happen because military hires get direct into there on a revolving basis, yet they have a horrible success rate.
I didn't know BOI got the bump back up to level 8. I used to work with a guy that transferred there a few years back. I thought it was still a 7. Yes a level 8 up/down even for someone with solid military experience is pushing it. Level 7 should be the cut off

Not gonna call them out by name, but someone on this forum got hired previous experience to F11 and washed on the first scope I think. That's like one of the most desirable facilities in the NAS in my mind. It's not rare for VRA to get offered good mid level places like SAV, CHS, MYR, CVG, and IND. Meanwhile I'd kill to go to any one of those facilities but I'm stuck in atc purgatory indefinitely. I know Rob doesn't want my low level scrub ass to get a chance, but I'd love to get my shot at C90 or A80. I think there are so many immeasurable qualities to air traffic that determine how quickly someone picks it up and whether they're going to be able to meet the standard and unfortunately, someone's resume/experience is not necessarily a good indicator as to whether they're going to make it somewhere.

The Axe of Reno drops again!
The axe of Reno lol. I worked at RNO for 3 years. It's a great place to learn, but it's as basic as ATC gets.
If you can't certify there you really shouldn't be in air traffic in the 1st place. Military ATC must not be creating the experience level it used to. That or people are "doctoring up" their military experience in order to get hired. That's just sad. I served in the early/mid 2000s with guys and worked contract before the FAA with guys who's 1st FAA facilities were places like IAD, PCT, LAS, PHL. They all certified, and it was white book. It seems like these VRAs now days ain't what they used to be.

The axe of Reno lol. I worked at RNO for 3 years. It's a great place to learn, but it's as basic as ATC gets.
If you can't certify there you really shouldn't be in air traffic in the 1st place. Military ATC must not be creating the experience level it used to. That or people are "doctoring up" their military experience in order to get hired. That's just sad. I served in the early/mid 2000s with guys and worked contract before the FAA with guys who's 1st FAA facilities were places like IAD, PCT, LAS, PHL. They all certified, and it was white book. It seems like these VRAs now days ain't what they used to be.
Well these days the majority wash in RNO. Doesn't help the majority are NEST and PrevExp

I agree, RNO ain't hard, they need to end the NEST and the previous experience hires because they ruin the NCEPT for lower levels.
Well someone has to go to lower levels. Reno is a 5. That's where NEST, previous experience or regular new hires should go to get their 1st FAA certification. Level 4-7 facilities

Well someone has to go to lower levels. Reno is a 5. That's where NEST, previous experience or regular new hires should go to get their 1st FAA certification. Level 4-7 facilities
Yet you wanna cap lower levels for NCEPT, stop sending trash downstream.

I mean as a great example, of the last 10 to come through RNO 6 have washed and 1 is still in training. 3 have certified.

Of the 6 to wash 3 were CTI and 3 were PrevExp (2 NEST).

End the NEST, end the Previous Experience hires. You'll probably get higher quality controllers that in turn try to go higher, because let's face it 12's are a joke too if an OTS can do them.

Yet you wanna cap lower levels for NCEPT, stop sending trash downstream.

I mean as a great example, of the last 10 to come through RNO 6 have washed and 1 is still in training. 3 have certified.

Of the 6 to wash 3 were CTI and 3 were PrevExp (2 NEST).

End the NEST, end the Previous Experience hires. You'll probably get higher quality controllers that in turn try to go higher, because let's face it 12's are a joke too if an OTS can do them.
Well you also have level 4-7 towers where most their NEST transfers and previous experience hires make it. Concord, Hayward, Stockton, San Diego, Ontario El Monte the list goes on. Maybe RNO has had a rash of bad luck with who they get. Maybe the training could be better. I don't know. But other facilities the same level are experiencing a lot more training success. Level 12s wash people out too. Just because OTS are successful at a 12 doesn't mean its easy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom