May (Q2) 2021

I’ve worked mil facilities, a 7 tower and a 12 tracon. In the order listed, the personalities were most ridiculous to least.

Wish they gave out duffel bags. Need a new bag for work.
Try this guy at https://badbags.com/

He gives a military discount. In case you're not a vet, contact him direct and ask about discount for ATC he "might" hook you up. Tell him the other controller he gave a discount to told you about his bags. He hooked me up and I tell people about the bags all the time because they're great.

The bags are legit and high quality. Fabric, straps, zippers, etc. are all thicc and strong.

Congrats to all the people at sub-lvl 4s who have never even said the words "Radar Contact" getting selected to any of the busiest TRACONs in the world.
You know… they could use the tower display to radar identify someone… but I also like to think a 3 level max jump would be great rule to add to ncept.

You know… they could use the tower display to radar identify someone… but I also like to think a 3 level max jump would be great rule to add to ncept.
If nothing else I feel selecting from the candidates within three levels before looking at the lower facilities. That way they could still be eligible if all the higher level people are selected first or cannot release anymore. Give the middle level facilities a chance to further their careers. Doesn’t seem like NCEPT has been kind to them with all the 4-6s going straight to highly desirable places.

So are people who work here??‍♂️
MAF right? I met your supe. You guys are the definition of a black hole. Did you really have a dev withdraw from training right after they were told they would be watched for certification the next day? Bc they are stuck if they cert. It sucks the faa can’t properly train or staff facilities

If nothing else I feel selecting from the candidates within three levels before looking at the lower facilities. That way they could still be eligible if all the higher level people are selected first or cannot release anymore. Give the middle level facilities a chance to further their careers. Doesn’t seem like NCEPT has been kind to them with all the 4-6s going straight to highly desirable places.
The problem is training. Many mid level up downs are two years plus to train, because it takes a lot of time and there’s delays etc. meanwhile the faa won’t send you new people until you have a loss of some kind, so by the tome something comes out the pipe, it’s 2 years plus before its primed again

it takes too long to train at many smaller to mid level facilities because they take themselves too seriously, and make people rack up bullshit hours. Change my mind
100% this. When I certified through the tower at my facility before “target hours” people complained to my training team that “they haven’t seen everything yet”

Part of this job is learning on your own.

MAF right? I met your supe. You guys are the definition of a black hole. Did you really have a dev withdraw from training right after they were told they would be watched for certification the next day? Bc they are stuck if they cert. It sucks the faa can’t properly train or staff facilities
Correct, and not exactly that but close, I also threatened to do the same thing if they didn’t certify me before this last raise. I had a trainer tell me to do that otherwise I’d be stuck here. We’ve had more people leave here through other means than we have gotten new since I’ve been here. The actually facility isn’t that bad, and it’s a great place to learn, but the location is just absolute cheeks

it takes too long to train at many smaller to mid level facilities because they take themselves too seriously, and make people rack up bullshit hours. Change my mind
Yes And no, the FAA‘s approach to staffing is often to send large waves of people regardless of whether or not a facility has the ability to actually train them in a reasonable amount of time. I know of small level facilities who are some of the most understaffed in 2015 getting waves of 10 trainees at a time even though they only had the capacity to train 8 to 10 hours of OJt a week based on the staffing they had. How can you train 10 people on 5-7 positions when you can only train a few hours a week? People find ways out rather than stare down 2.5 years of training at a crappy place, they quit, hardship, etc

Many of those facilities have super long training programs for no reason. But yes, the faa doesn’t know how to assign bodies in moderation.
That was their top fix for N90…how many people can you throw at the wall and see what sticks

Many of those facilities have super long training programs for no reason. But yes, the faa doesn’t know how to assign bodies in moderation.
That was their top fix for N90…how many people can you throw at the wall and see what sticks
And it still hasn’t worked there, and it doesn’t work at the lower level facilities either. MLI had the worst as I recall, in 2015. They had such low staffing they were giving up airspace to take lunches if there was a sick call. They gamed it out and discovered they could do 4-5 hours of ojt a week. The faa sent them 14 people in 6 months, as I recall. A lot of wasted time sitting around doing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom