New time off between shifts mandate. Big change

You’re dod with no mids. What do you care doesn’t affect you. Back to the echo chamber
I’m dod and just recently came off mids after 36 years of various rotating schedules. The main thing I learned is that nothing sucks like straight mids.

100% agree. You could do straight shifts thar rotate every week or 2.
Straight shifts that rotate every week are great…until you hit that mid week. 5 mids in a row is a killer. Did this schedule for years and it was probably the worst of them all.

Straight shifts that rotate every week are great…until you hit that mid week. 5 mids in a row is a killer. Did this schedule for years and it was probably the worst of them all.
Ok but have worked the rattler? 1300-2100...9 hours off...0600-1400....8.5 hours off..2230-0630.

Every week. So you work ALL three shifts every week. So your bedtime is never the same.

Ok but have worked the rattler? 1300-2100...9 hours off...0600-1400....8.5 hours off..2230-0630.

Every week. So you work ALL three shifts every week. So your bedtime is never the same.
Yeah I’ve worked all three shifts every week. Did that for years too. I’ll say this. There’s a difference between a controller body in its 30s and early 40s and a controller body in its mid 40s and beyond. Those rotating shift hit differently. But I’m 60 and I’d still rather work multiple shifts than straight mids. But to each his own.

Rattler isn’t even bad if you respect it. If you come off an off days freight into a mid that’s impossible. What am I supposed to do on my Sunday? Try to sleep all afternoon? You’d never be able to anyways. Great idea of a weekend.

Depending on your home life the rattler really isn't that bad. I go to bed approximately the same time on my Fri night, Sat night, Sun night, Mon night, Tue night. Wed and Thur night I go to bed about an hour earlier without the mid... obviously with the mid that is out the window but still 4-5 days a week I go to bed at around the same time.

Sounds like my hell. I would much much rather work a straight line of any sort. Days swings or mids. No rotating shifts. No rotating RDOs.
That's what I do, although I try to swap my Friday to the earliest shift. 2-10, 2-10 2-10, 1-9, then ideally 8-4 if I can swap my last 1-9

That's what I do, although I try to swap my Friday to the earliest shift. 2-10, 2-10 2-10, 1-9, then ideally 8-4 if I can swap my last 1-9

I do the exact same thing except that I currently have to swap into the night shifts and I don’t want to end my week on a day shift. It’s not worth it. I’d rather maintain a healthier sleep schedule and consistent home life.

I do the exact same thing except that I currently have to swap into the night shifts and I don’t want to end my week on a day shift. It’s not worth it. I’d rather maintain a healthier sleep schedule and consistent home life.
I wake up maybe 1-2 hours earlier than normal if I get that 8-4... Usually get a 10-6 and has no change in my sleep schedule. Sleep midnight to 8 am most nights

Slapping a bandaid on a much bigger problem. One extra hour in between shifts isn’t going to do much, especially for the many facilities working mandatory 6 day work weeks and 10 hour shift. You want to improve fatigue? Fix the staffing crisis. Hire more, send them to low levels, let more people from low levels get to higher levels.
I been saying this forever, gotta fix staffing from the low levels up. It’s the only way it’ll truly get fixed one day. And yeah, I’m glad they’re “paying attention” to fatigue, but this is a bandaid on a steel cable that doesn’t address to the root cause.

I been saying this forever, gotta fix staffing from the low levels up. It’s the only way it’ll truly get fixed one day. And yeah, I’m glad they’re “paying attention” to fatigue, but this is a bandaid on a steel cable that doesn’t address to the root cause.
Nah, let’s hire direct all facilities! Let’s fix the staffing at the source! Down with trickle up staffanomics!

Back
Top Bottom