New time off between shifts mandate. Big change

Or we do like many police departments and hospitals do...
You work straight days, straight swings or straight mids. Bid by seniority.
During the apocalypse, our shifts were 6am-2pm; 2pm-10pm and 10pm-6am. Whatever shift you had, you worked five in a row. The solution will probably look something like that.
All of those professions sleep on the mid on rotations. The FAA made their bed with anti worker policies and NATCA let them. Let the agency figure out the logistics and NATCA pull out of all workgroups until a new CBA is signed.

All of those professions sleep on the mid on rotations. The FAA made their bed with anti worker policies and NATCA let them. Let the agency figure out the logistics and NATCA pull out of all workgroups until a new CBA is signed.
Pull out of workgroups? And a114 folk back to the boards? Hahahaha yeah right

All these reverse rattlers and straight lines rotating mids can eat a dick. We are not going for these changes, they can’t be dictated without negotiations. If they want them that bad they can also renegotiate the slate book to get them
This isn't about safety. This is Whitaker coming after us. They aren't going to do us any favors, including opening the slate book. Adding this rule does not require them to open the contract. Just let 2024 MOUs run out.

I wonder how much thought Whitaker put into the of lack OT availability on a reverse rattler. IMO, that is what will kill this whole idea.

The FAA would love for natca to pull out of all workgroups ensuring they don’t have to collaborate and make their own decisions

During the apocalypse, our shifts were 6am-2pm; 2pm-10pm and 10pm-6am. Whatever shift you had, you worked five in a row. The solution will probably look something like that.
Yeah this can fuck right off. Find a way to make something work for the whole membership.

That’s how we did it in the Marines. I wouldn’t mind it

Nice 1 day weekend.
Start with a swing shift. Then a 4 hr mid shift. Then a swing shift later that day. Then Day and day. That leaves a long weekend.

Mon.1400-2200.
Tues.2200-0200/0200-0600
Tues swing. 1400-2200
Wed-0800-1600
Thurs 0530-1330

Still leaves Fri and Sat for Overtime. Just make it a 36 hr work week. 4 hrs on the mid.

There's a lot to process and many unknowns. First, I think the timing and the 90 day effective date is interesting. For an organization that does nothing quickly its surprising at the speed this was put out considering the study he based this off of was done just a few months ago. It seems he wanted to get out in front of this, maybe prior to mid-term bargaining beginning. I'm also interested if the Agency felt any pressure or fear of possibly being held liable in the event of a tragic accident happening due to a fatigued controller. They have a study recommending that controllers have so much time in between shifts. If the FAA blatantly goes against that and lives are lost, they could open themselves up for all kinds of litigation.
Second interesting piece to this, is staffing. The Agency knows staffing is shit and these new guidelines will only further compound that problem. I have long said that the quickest way to fix staffing is to stop mandatory OT. This may not stop it but it will limit the Agency's ability to assign OT. I can definitely see an outcome that this all but forces the government to approve additional staffing at facilities to account for these new guidelines.
Lastly, and maybe most important to most, how does NATCA respond and turn this into a win for controllers? I understand many of the negatives that could come from this, but I also see an opportunity for NATCA to hit a grand slam for BUEs when it comes to improving their quality of life. Can they get the Agency to the table and negotiate. If they can they could redefine the "standard" controllers work week, add protections for mandatory OT, improve mid-term bargaining language, add staffing in the NAS, and most importantly address controller's overall compensation.

Back
Top Bottom