New time off between shifts mandate. Big change

It's the same schedule, you just start with the mid first and run it in reverse. That's the quick easy way to implement the new rules without any big increases needed in OT or staffing.

There are some other ideas out there that are possible without fairytale staffing levels, but you guys are really trying to curl fingers on the monkeys paw with all this crying about work conditions.

It's the same schedule, you just start with the mid first and run it in reverse. That's the quick easy way to implement the new rules without any big increases needed in OT or staffing.

There are some other ideas out there that are possible without fairytale staffing levels, but you guys are really trying to curl fingers on the monkeys paw with all this crying about work conditions.
Absolutely not. That is not what I bid and not a schedule I would ever accept. I have zero issue with the rattler and get appropriate sleep for myself.

Nothing will happen until next year, at the earliest
Has to be effective within 90 days per the Administrator.

Here:

Statement from FAA Administrator Mike Whitaker

Friday, April 19, 2024

In my first few months at the helm of the FAA, I toured air traffic control facilities around the country—and heard concerns about schedules that do not always allow controllers to get enough rest. With the safety of our controllers and national airspace always top of mind for FAA, I took this very seriously – and we’re taking action.

In [December 2023](https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-moves-address-air-traffic-controller-fatigue), we commissioned an independent panel of scientific fatigue experts to assess the risks introduced by controller fatigue in our system and to give us a roadmap to mitigate the risks. [The panel’s report](https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/media/Fatigue_Report.pdf) brought into focus key reforms which we’re implementing immediately to ensure air traffic controllers are getting sufficient rest, while we also work to implement some longer term, systemic changes. As an initial step, [I will require 10 hours off between shifts](https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/media/fatigue_standard_directive_4192024_signed.pdf), and 12 hours off before a midnight shift, effective in 90 days, consistent with the expert panel’s recommendations. I am also directing the Air Traffic Safety Oversight Service to ensure the agency has a robust methodology to ensure compliance with this direction.

I understand this lengthened rest period will be an adjustment for thousands of our air traffic controllers. We are committed to engaging the workforce and our partners at the National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA) to prioritize health and well-being as operations adapt.

In addition to scheduling practices, growing the workforce continues to be a top priority, and over the past two years we’ve pulled out all of the stops to accelerate hiring. We are beginning to reverse the decades-long shortage of air traffic controllers. Last year we reached our hiring goal of 1,500 controllers, with an even bigger goal of 1,800 this year, which we’re on track to meet. We’ve also expanded the training pipeline to maximize recruitment. Getting more qualified individuals into our air traffic facilities will help alleviate the demands on the current workforce.

I appreciate the panel’s time and expertise, and we are committed to a sustained effort to address controller fatigue and ensure our airspace is the safest in the world. These recommendations will significantly aid our efforts, providing a roadmap for our agency. What’s more, as I always say, “safety is a team sport” so we’re making the report public to enable other safety and workforce experts to review the findings and share additional insights. I look forward to working with our labor partners to implement these important changes.

It’s crazy how natca hasn’t even sent out an acknowledgement yet. They are so painfully slow. They are like a sloth

I bet you'd have lines out the door for people signing up to work straight mids. Easiest traffic at 99% of the facilities in the nas and a pay raise with all the extra differentials.
Any facility could already neg. Straight mid lines. Nothing new here

Gonna be a shit show to try and implement, but I do give the agency credit for at least trying to do something to address the schedule situation. Hell the FAA does more to try to help us than NATCA does these days.
The FAA is doing this to look better after bad press and want to show they're taking action. Don't get it twisted, the FAA doesn't give a shit about you or your health.

Reverse rattler incoming.
Bingo
Here's the Union's chance to reopen the CBA to work in the new rules into existing MOUs. Maybe?

One thing this whole issue reenforces is that controllers hate two things;

1. The way things are
2. Change
I’d argue controllers just want the chance to make the changes ourselves. Somehow the people who are great at taking two separated aircraft and making them not are the ones who get to decide what’s best.

Back
Top Bottom