December (Q1) 2020

Seems that would indicate serious training issues with the training program. I can certainly see a level 5 being more difficult to grasp with some added complexity thrown in and harder to standardize things, but Reno does not have the volume to justify this.
Unfortunately that traffic volume at small VFR towers is hit and miss. Nothing for four hours and your ass kicked for four hours after that. That makes it difficult for people to spool up, as opposed to it always being steady or busy. Then tack on they get a lot of NEST washouts, who often show up with a chip on their shoulder, already knowing everything about ATC, refusing to adapt to local procedures while in training.

Unfortunately that traffic volume at small VFR towers is hit and miss. Nothing for four hours and your ass kicked for four hours after that.
That's not localized to low-level, that happens at L11s too. "Waiting for the busy hour to train" at pretty much any facility is like chasing the dragon.

It does happen as well at higher level airports, but the pushes are also consistent and you can easily plan to train the pushes. I’m just saying that because it’s a low level that it isn’t automatically easy peasy. I would much rather never work pattern traffic and student pilots again and stick with air carrier professional pilots.

Unfortunately that traffic volume at small VFR towers is hit and miss. Nothing for four hours and your ass kicked for four hours after that. That makes it difficult for people to spool up, as opposed to it always being steady or busy. Then tack on they get a lot of NEST washouts, who often show up with a chip on their shoulder, already knowing everything about ATC, refusing to adapt to local procedures while in training.

It’s even more concerning that NEST guys struggle there too. Level 5 tower with a 64% pass rate, that will bring the attention of the agency eventually.

It’s even more concerning that NEST guys struggle there too. Level 5 tower with a 64% pass rate, that will bring the attention of the agency eventually.

Neither the union or the agency cares about anything outside of the core 30 unless it is bad publicity.

Seems that would indicate serious training issues with the training program. I can certainly see a level 5 being more difficult to grasp with some added complexity thrown in and harder to standardize things, but Reno does not have the volume to justify this.

Yeah, some people shouldn't be trainers, but there is more to it than just that.

If they do can i go there lol
They can take people, it's just that they're projected above 85% right now. So you need to get lucky that others in your facility don't have in for higher priority places and you're still eligible after the main NCEPT round.

They can take people, it's just that they're projected above 85% right now. So you need to get lucky that others in your facility don't have in for higher priority places and you're still eligible after the main NCEPT round.
They haven’t stated that the “dynamic decisions” will be made after they run the compete list with the temporary numbers have they? They could be looking at each facility “dynamically” as they go.

They haven’t stated that the “dynamic decisions” will be made after they run the compete list with the temporary numbers have they? They could be looking at each facility “dynamically” as they go.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The facility I'm trying to get to is super low AOB but projected just above 85%.

Correct... And I'm not sure which option would be better either.

see this is what i dont understand about how NCEPT works. Allegedly there were facilities that should have been able to take people last time, and were interested in me, and we could have let more go, and they didnt get to take anyone. how does that work?

December “NCEPT Target” 31 Vacancies outside of New York, Bay Area, and C90 facilities. Management has effectively stopped transferring except for places they have shown the inability to staff. I wonder how many new supervisors have been minted since the “temporary” changes have taken effect?

Last edited:
see this is what i dont understand about how NCEPT works. Allegedly there were facilities that should have been able to take people last time, and were interested in me, and we could have let more go, and they didnt get to take anyone. how does that work?

I was in the same boat, without the temp rules I would have been going. They're basing it off of a training distinction mostly. If the facility you're trying to go to had a high training ratio with more projected inbounds. That means a lot more than a projected/actual AOB currently.

I was in the same boat, without the temp rules I would have been going. They're basing it off of a training distinction mostly. If the facility you're trying to go to had a high training ratio with more projected inbounds. That means a lot more than a projected/actual AOB currently.
This is untrue

Back
Top Bottom