February (Q2) 2023

You could always put in for HEF. I’d have to double check, but I’m pretty sure the last two panel ranking lists showed everyone from HEF ranked dead last so ?‍♂️

I tried PCT for a while. I was high on the ranking list but kept getting magically beat out by folks from HEF and ORF.
I’ve been trying PCT for years from a level 6 up down. I started dead last. Each NCEPT cycle my ranking would move up a little bit when we could release. But then somehow HEF would always be ranked top 5. ORF too, but I heard a rumor that there was a bad egg from ORF to PCT so not sure if ORF will be part of the competition.

It's not just about being from HEF guys. It's about being at HEF and being president of the Women in Aviation club! Or being the local natca President helps. They're more involved than you and therefore better qualified. Better get off your lazy asses and start building those resumés up before you come on an anonymous forum and start getting all mad that someone else who's been in the agency for 6 months at a level 5 tower got selected to your dream tracon over you. (No, I'm not salty.)

Last edited:
It's not just about being from HEF guys. It's about being at HEF and being president of the Women in Aviation club! Or being the local natca President helps. They're more involved than you and and therefore better qualified. Better get off your lazy asses and start building those resumés up before you come on an anonymous forum and start getting all mad that someone else who's been in the agency for 6 months at a level 5 tower got selected to your dream tracon over you. (No, I'm not salty.)
I just spit my drink reading this. Was having a mediocre day and this made it. Ty Acquired Taste

It's not just about being from HEF guys. It's about being at HEF and being president of the Women in Aviation club! Or being the local natca President helps. They're more involved than you and therefore better qualified. Better get off your lazy asses and start building those resumés up before you come on an anonymous forum and start getting all mad that someone else who's been in the agency for 6 months at a level 5 tower got selected to your dream tracon over you. (No, I'm not salty.)
That’s actually good advice.

Coming from personal experience and for many that I know that got picked up at PCT, this is excellent advice. While being in an agency for 6 months, a president of an aviation club, or a local FACREP has actually nothing to do with your ability to work traffic, the involvement and dedication to the field speak a lot about your character. Get off your asses and show that YOU want to go there (or anywhere) and don't make excuses. People get picked up because they have formed a relationship and made themselves known to the facility they want to get to, and that facility respects your determination and drive. In turn, they attribute that personality to how committed you will be in your training. And ultimately successful at the facility. It's not about your experience, it's about your determination to succeed. And whether you like it or not, the ERR selection comes down to who knows you. And when I say that, I mean it is HOW they know you - your character and your commitment to success at their facility - NOT WHO you know. Best of luck!

Coming from personal experience and for many that I know that got picked up at PCT, this is excellent advice. While being in an agency for 6 months, a president of an aviation club, or a local FACREP has actually nothing to do with your ability to work traffic, the involvement and dedication to the field speak a lot about your character. Get off your asses and show that YOU want to go there (or anywhere) and don't make excuses. People get picked up because they have formed a relationship and made themselves known to the facility they want to get to, and that facility respects your determination and drive. In turn, they attribute that personality to how committed you will be in your training. And ultimately successful at the facility. It's not about your experience, it's about your determination to succeed. And whether you like it or not, the ERR selection comes down to who knows you. And when I say that, I mean it is HOW they know you - your character and your commitment to success at their facility - NOT WHO you know. Best of luck!
This is a seniority based, line holding job. You should 100% not have to do any of that.

This is a seniority based, line holding job. You should 100% not have to do any of that.
So, in that line of thinking, you can apply it to many fields of industry...

If Tom Cruise wants a part in a movie, he should get it. No questions asked. No matter what vision the directors and producers want to create for that film.

Or a lineworker. Who has been on the job for 15 years, but doesn't display the desire to become a foreman or anything advanced in his trade. He/she should receive the promotion, not through skill, but due to their longevity in their current position

So, in that line of thinking, you can apply it to many fields of industry...

If Tom Cruise wants a part in a movie, he should get it. No questions asked. No matter what vision the directors and producers want to create for that film.

Or a lineworker. Who has been on the job for 15 years, but doesn't display the desire to become a foreman or anything advanced in his trade. He/she should receive the promotion, not through skill, but due to their longevity in their current position
No because Tom cruise isn’t in a seniority based jobs. If a pilot wants to change their pilot base it’s 100% based on seniority. I got placed into a facility making 150k a year but some guy with way more seniority than me has to prove they’ve joined aviation clubs? What?!

Going from being a controller one place to being a controller another place isn’t a promotion

Preach!

No because Tom cruise isn’t in a seniority based jobs. If a pilot wants to change their pilot base it’s 100% based on seniority. I got placed into a facility making 150k a year but some guy with way more seniority than me has to prove they’ve joined aviation clubs? What?!

Going from being a controller one place to being a controller another place isn’t a promotion
So in your perfect world, I should be allowed to grieve every single new hire that gets placed because I wasn't asked if I might have wanted to go there?

Or a starving facility continually receiving people with <5 years left until retirement, just to get their high-3 and perpetuating the staffing issue.

Your precious seniority pretty much just gives you a better pick of a schedule. That's hardly a seniority based job. Not sure why people get so hung up with that.

So in your perfect world, I should be allowed to grieve every single new hire that gets placed because I wasn't asked if I might have wanted to go there?

Or a starving facility continually receiving people with <5 years left until retirement, just to get their high-3 and perpetuating the staffing issue.

Your precious seniority pretty much just gives you a better pick of a schedule. That's hardly a seniority based job. Not sure why people get so hung up with that.
I don’t see how you think that going to a different facility is a promotion? My point is that you shouldn’t have to prove you’re qualified for a job that you already have.

There was no mention of them thinking it was a promotion. This is not a seniority based job…your seniority is virtually only used in scheduling and work hours.
How is it not seniority based? You pick all your work schedule based on seniority . Everyone had a seniority number. Your raised are based on seniority. It’s just this weird transfer process that’s based on smoke and mirrors but it shouldn’t be. People should be able to bid over to facilities that have openings directly

How is it not seniority based? You pick all your work schedule based on seniority . Everyone had a seniority number. Your raised are based on seniority. It’s just this weird transfer process that’s based on smoke and mirrors but it shouldn’t be. People should be able to bid over to facilities that have openings directly
Raises aren't based on seniority.

Back
Top Bottom