How is Training Initiative going in your building?

FightingIrish2012

Legendary Member
Is it leading to increased certs? Increased TRBs? Is it burning trainers out or do they like the extra 10%? Is it burning trainees out? How are you handling people who blow through hours and haven’t seen “peak traffic”? Do people think it’s for the greater good or bad? Are the FLMs militant about conducting training? I’m interested to see how it is all going over.

Hasn't changed too much. I guess they are making trainees write why they didn't get the full 3 hours on their training report if they didn't. We didn't have a huge problem with getting training done here.

Is it leading to increased certs? Increased TRBs? Is it burning trainers out or do they like the extra 10%? Is it burning trainees out? How are you handling people who blow through hours and haven’t seen “peak traffic”? Do people think it’s for the greater good or bad? Are the FLMs militant about conducting training? I’m interested to see how it is all going over.
Yes and no on all of them

Increased certs? not yet.
Increased TRBs? not yet.
Burning trainers out? nope.
burning trainees out? yep.
peak traffic? hasn't been an issue yet.
greater good or bad? definitely not a good thing
FLMs militant about training? oh yes, definitely.

Let's here from those awesome facilities that absolutely refuse to certify anyone until they see "summer traffic"! Because some old geezer who was hired in 1984 and is self appointed alpha dog of the facility said so. Bah humbug! Damn entitled kids these days. That guy worked "pre-911" traffic ----Gasp!--- unlike YOU. And all you would have washed out back then when the sky was thick with DC Niners and turboprops and the radar room tinted yellow and full of delicious cigarette smoke and if u wanted to check out you shotgunned PBRs in the parking lot w him and took his mistresses phone calls at the watch desk. Wash all trainees who don't kiss that guys ring out! For the good of the agency and old boys everywhere.

Maybe I'm just a selfish, self-centered jerk but I couldn't care less how training is going at other facilities. I try not to let things at my own facility get me upset let alone what is happening somewhere else.
What a jerk! Haha jk. I have heard ZDV suspended someone’s training that was doing fine and progressing because they couldn’t meet the hours. So now they are just on standby waiting for more mic time. The flip side I hear from people at level 6 and 7 that are spending IFR days “training” and not doing shit. What a waste of hours.

This whole “issue” could have been solved at the local level with some counseling. Be it trainers not stepping up, supervisors not running a rotation to allow for it etc.

What a jerk! Haha jk. I have heard ZDV suspended someone’s training that was doing fine and progressing because they couldn’t meet the hours. So now they are just on standby waiting for more mic time. The flip side I hear from people at level 6 and 7 that are spending IFR days “training” and not doing shit. What a waste of hours.

This whole “issue” could have been solved at the local level with some counseling. Be it trainers not stepping up, supervisors not running a rotation to allow for it etc.

My personal opinion (& this is strictly center so I have no idea about tower training) is that you should train everyday. From slow to busy traffic. You get a set amount of hours. It's supposed to be a limit. Ideally, you certify in less hours than allotted. At the two centers I've been at...typically (unless you're a center CPC transfer) regardless of how good you are, you're going to use 80% on your first two and they'll consider actual minimums afterwards. If you're reaching the end of your hours and now you're trying to save hours for "busy" times only then in my opinion, you've already failed. You should have seen multiple slow, moderate, and busy sessions within your allotted time. So, if you need to save your hours then it's time to begin talking about extensions.

But again, that's just my personal opinion which is as valuable as an A side when you're trying to get leave. So, I do my eight, head to the gate, and see ya on the next shift.

Last edited:
Seasonal traffic is a thing in the small towers, just saying, not a reason to wash someone but definitely skeptical of someone who hasnt shown they can work a 70 hour.

Seasonal traffic is a thing in the small towers, just saying, not a reason to wash someone but definitely skeptical of someone who hasnt shown they can work a 70 hour.

God I would never want to work at RNO, you guys would wash me so quick lol. Training initiative stuff is burning trainees out big time at my fac. The time isn't wasted, usually get 4-5 hrs a day (one staffing day but still train on that day too) only at busy time which isn't hard to come by, but it's a lot on people training for sure.

Maybe I'm just a selfish, self-centered jerk but I couldn't care less how training is going at other facilities. I try not to let things at my own facility get me upset let alone what is happening somewhere else.
This might not be the right thread for you then

Back
Top Bottom