*Insert Clickbait Thread Title Name Regarding Unions Here*

The only power labor has is withholding it. The destruction of workers rights by both liberals and conservatives in the country is disgusting. But this is what capitalists wanted, so they got it.
Hence why I mentioned about being happy to see more of a return to form of the rhetoric and practices of the labor movement of the early through mid 20th century with strikes and slow-downs.

The power controllers have with withholding labor due to "being sick" at opportune moments is immeasurable.

The mere threat of a teachers' strike is enough to spurn state legislators to acquiesce to some level of their demands in even the reddest of states (2018 West Virginia Teachers' Strike earned all state employees a 5% raise, Oklahoma teachers threatening a walkout got them a $6000 pay bump). Hard right Oklahoma politicians talked a big game about teachers being entitled children for wanting more money, but they still blinked first and paid them more without it actually happening.

West Virginia teachers asked for 5% raises and better health insurance and the governor responded with a 2% raise, so they "walked out" on Thursday night. On the next Tuesday morning (2 working days of school closure) the Governor came back to the table and agreed to the 5% raise. Union leaders told the teachers to go back into the classroom on the following Thursday and a wildcat strike formed demanding the raise to be passed into law before returning. The WV state senate tried to water it down to a 4% raise that Saturday so the wildcat strike continued into the next week until the 5% raise was signed and teachers returned to the classroom that Wednesday. Less than 2 weeks, and it took a grassroots movement of the teachers holding their own union's feet to the fire. Fuck around = find out.

When the levers of your labor are controlled at the federal level, all NATCA's gotta do is show they can shut shit down if things go sideways; stop licking their boots and put controller's boots to their neck. That was the threat of the railroad strike: economic harm is the point. The railroad workers weren't asking for the bread and circuses to stop, just to increase the quality of the bread and add a couple more jugglers.

The NOTAM outage in January owned the news cycle for a week and all major airline's stock prices dipped; and that only lasted a couple hours. The eastern seaboard goes ATC Zero for a whole shift? And then again the next day but from a different facility? Ya'll wanna go from the slate book to the Diamond Book?

Hence why I mentioned about being happy to see more of a return to form of the rhetoric and practices of the labor movement of the early through mid 20th century with strikes and slow-downs.

The power controllers have with withholding labor due to "being sick" at opportune moments is immeasurable.

The mere threat of a teachers' strike is enough to spurn state legislators to acquiesce to some level of their demands in even the reddest of states (2018 West Virginia Teachers' Strike earned all state employees a 5% raise, Oklahoma teachers threatening a walkout got them a $6000 pay bump). Hard right Oklahoma politicians talked a big game about teachers being entitled children for wanting more money, but they still blinked first and paid them more without it actually happening.

West Virginia teachers asked for 5% raises and better health insurance and the governor responded with a 2% raise, so they "walked out" on Thursday night. On the next Tuesday morning (2 working days of school closure) the Governor came back to the table and agreed to the 5% raise. Union leaders told the teachers to go back into the classroom on the following Thursday and a wildcat strike formed demanding the raise to be passed into law before returning. The WV state senate tried to water it down to a 4% raise that Saturday so the wildcat strike continued into the next week until the 5% raise was signed and teachers returned to the classroom that Wednesday. Less than 2 weeks, and it took a grassroots movement of the teachers holding their own union's feet to the fire. Fuck around = find out.

When the levers of your labor are controlled at the federal level, all NATCA's gotta do is show they can shut shit down if things go sideways; stop licking their boots and put controller's boots to their neck. That was the threat of the railroad strike: economic harm is the point. The railroad workers weren't asking for the bread and circuses to stop, just to increase the quality of the bread and add a couple more jugglers.

The NOTAM outage in January owned the news cycle for a week and all major airline's stock prices dipped; and that only lasted a couple hours. The eastern seaboard goes ATC Zero for a whole shift? And then again the next day but from a different facility? Ya'll wanna go from the slate book to the Diamond Book?
Idk man kinda sounds like communism

What changed in ATC that you think we are all worth almost 20% less in real money then we were 5 years ago and will continue to take buying power pay cuts the duration of the contract?

I have my pitch fork, torches, and sick leave ready buddy.

NATCA gets us 4.8 over three years for the third time we have been extended, that’s as good as it gets folks. The fact there aren’t more people pissed about this extension and staying in is mind boggling. Give yourself a raise and get out until they get us a better raise.
This is our only way of legit striking.
I think people are starting to realize it. Hopefully

NATCA gets us 4.8 over three years for the third time we have been extended, that’s as good as it gets folks. The fact there aren’t more people pissed about this extension and staying in is mind boggling. Give yourself a raise and get out until they get us a better raise.

Definitely considering it. The crappy part is that almost no matter what, we're still better off with than without.

Meanwhile, our rep seems to be gone 4/6 days a week, and is now handling district-wide NATCA issues. While the rest of us work 6 days a week. BUT, the rep is a great force against our local management and their wacky ideas, and I know if I need then, they'll fight for me if I'm in the union... wheras they'll do their job if I'm not.

I also don't have the social aptitude or tact required for the gig, so I am glad it's them and not me.

Constant struggle asking myself these questions.

Wtf are you talking about 4.8 over three years?!

Again 1.6 is not your raise, it is a step increase as is the step increase in the GS scale.

January is your raise. Add that up.

Wtf are you talking about 4.8 over three years?!

Again 1.6 is not your raise, it is a step increase as is the step increase in the GS scale.

January is your raise. Add that up.
Exactly NATCA has nothing to do with that raise. So they got us 4.8 as stated(in the contract). If it’s just a step increase like the GS what the fuck is everyone paying NATCA to do? collaborate training this that and the other.
Prolong early careers for people who can’t do the job and representing the ones who can’t just show up and work then go home.

Last edited:
How do you give this talking point. The Biden raise has nothing to do with natca. Natca sucks
For apples to apples of course you have to add them all together. Hopefully these industry adjacent wage raises will help us going forward but you’re telling on your bias when you complain about a % over 4 years to a % every 6 months. NATCA has no say in the Jan raise but of course they are relevant.
I hope the pressure continues. That’s how you get your leadership pursue X Y or Z.
We work the busiest airspace in the world we should be paid like it.
But you fucking idiots always ruin your own arguments with your bullshit bad faith.

For apples to apples of course you have to add them all together. Hopefully these industry adjacent wage raises will help us going forward but you’re telling on your bias when you complain about a % over 4 years to a % every 6 months. NATCA has no say in the Jan raise but of course they are relevant.
Agreed. Even though they don't have a say in the January raises they should be utilized by NATCA as a part of the contract bargaining process. Even excluding the past few years of runaway inflation, the 1.6% was woefully inadequate as a de facto "step increase" as the majority of merit/performance-based raises in the federal system seem to be around 3% (range is 0% to 6%) going off of most fed employee discussion boards. Increases of 0% seem to be near zero and increases of 6% seem less rare than 0%, but still elusive.

The fact that NATCA "bargained" for the 1.6% Slate Book pay system that takes BUEs 20 years to reach top of a pay band shows they didn't bargain for their employees. Those 20 years are still contingent upon the government giving some form of a pay raise in January (1.6% in June only happens if there is a January pay raise; those 3 years under Obama would have been 0% in January AND 0% in June). And good luck if you're stuck in a level 4-6 for the first 6+ years of your career; that 20 year timer doesn't start until you get to your "final" facility.

It seems pretty clear that NATCA mentioned pay raises, the FAA negotiators gave them their proposal, and NATCA agreed to it without contestation. A 15 year journey to the top of a pay band would require a ~2.2% raise every year, and a 12 year journey would require ~2.5%. Given the intended career trajectory of any terminal controller (first facility and potentially 2 transfers to get to a 10+), NATCA should have been raising hell for 3% in June (10 year path) and negotiated down to 2.5% or 2.2%.

All they need to do during negotiations is ask for 3%, let the FAA guffaw at them for such an oUtRaGeOuS request, agree to adjourn for the day, and then some core facility oddly goes ATC Zero for a shift. Return to the table the next day with smiles on their faces and "thoughts and prayers" for those impacted and those ill controllers who must have shared some bad break room pizza. Rinse and repeat.

I hope the pressure continues. That’s how you get your leadership pursue X Y or Z.
We work the busiest airspace in the world we should be paid like it.
But you fucking idiots always ruin your own arguments with your bullshit bad faith.
They are relevant to me and my paycheck but natca didn’t do anything to get the janurary raises. Natca was too scared to even negotiate. Natca said a million dollars was too much to negotiate then started 30 new conferences that they scammers can go to every year

They are relevant to me and my paycheck but natca didn’t do anything to get the janurary raises. Natca was too scared to even negotiate. Natca said a million dollars was too much to negotiate then started 30 new conferences that they scammers can go to every year
Exactly it’s BS.
Some simple math 10,000 members probably low end at $50 per paycheck=50,000 some are quite a bit more for top earners multiple that by 26=13,000,000/year times 8 years we been under this contract…..104,000,000 Million dollars! And they can’t afford to negotiate, while we are paying Paul and Trish $250,000 a year for consulting fees….
They are scamming everyone, big corporate NATCA.

Exactly it’s BS.
Some simple math 10,000 members probably low end at $50 per paycheck=50,000 some are quite a bit more for top earners multiple that by 26=13,000,000/year times 8 years we been under this contract…..104,000,000 Million dollars! And they can’t afford to negotiate, while we are paying Paul and Trish $250,000 a year for consulting fees….
They are scamming everyone, big corporate NATCA.
And on top of that every local and I’m sure national was flushed after Covid cus they didn’t get to go to Hawaii as much

Back
Top Bottom