*Insert Clickbait Thread Title Name Regarding Unions Here*

I see a lot of complaining about the 1.6% raise in June. I'm all for more money, but that number represents how we move through the band and chances of a large increase to that number are slim.
We really need more people focusing and pushing to rewrite the TCI formula and/or band adjustments. The Agency has been winning ever since they went to 12 LVLs and introduced the current TCI. While many will tell you they got big instant increases, the long game has not been good to many. Downgrades are a real problem. Its depressing to look back just 15 or 20 years ago and see the level of ALL the facilities in the NAS. The majority, (centers not included), of facilities have seen at least 1 or 2 level downgrades during that time if not more. In the past lower to mid-level facilities were hit the hardest, but now we see LAX can't maintain a 12, and MSP and DTW are 9's. Hell, we only have 4 up/downs LVL 10 or higher in the entire NAS. These are the real problems I would like to hear the national office focusing their attention on and discussing with members.

I see a lot of complaining about the 1.6% raise in June. I'm all for more money, but that number represents how we move through the band and chances of a large increase to that number are slim.
We really need more people focusing and pushing to rewrite the TCI formula and/or band adjustments. The Agency has been winning ever since they went to 12 LVLs and introduced the current TCI. While many will tell you they got big instant increases, the long game has not been good to many. Downgrades are a real problem. Its depressing to look back just 15 or 20 years ago and see the level of ALL the facilities in the NAS. The majority, (centers not included), of facilities have seen at least 1 or 2 level downgrades during that time if not more. In the past lower to mid-level facilities were hit the hardest, but now we see LAX can't maintain a 12, and MSP and DTW are 9's. Hell, we only have 4 up/downs LVL 10 or higher in the entire NAS. These are the real problems I would like to hear the national office focusing their attention on and discussing with members.
Best I can do is a lobster dinner in Hawaii and a National Officer punching an Archie League recipient.

All that's required is for the government to recognize the catastrophic inflation since 2020 and do a one time pay bump to match it. Then everything would be back on track. Without such an adjustment if all we get is 1.6 or 2.6% a year it's going to take like 15 years for our salaries to reach the equivalent purchasing power they had as recently as 2019.

All that's required is for the government to recognize the catastrophic inflation since 2020 and do a one time pay bump to match it. Then everything would be back on track. Without such an adjustment if all we get is 1.6 or 2.6% a year it's going to take like 15 years for our salaries to reach the equivalent purchasing power they had as recently as 2019.
Last I checked the 5.6% raise is still in all the bills. Combine that with last years raise and it’ll be pretty close. But natca cannot take credit for a Biden raise and then not negotiate anymore.

Do you think a degree is the be all to end all in pay? Look at our numbers, scarcity commands higher wages. Less controllers, more planes, more money. The amount of time it takes to train, the fact the we are one of the only places in the federal government that can fire people and do regularly. There are 11,000 FAA CPC controllers in the US. There are city police and firefighters that don't have degrees and make more and their pension is better, it's not apples to apples but using your example as no degree required.
The highest paid cops in the country are on Long Island NY, and I was making more than double what my lieutenant neighbor was making, so not sure wtf you are talking about.

Someone on the job once brought up the fact they would only recommend this job as a something you do as a second option. I tend to agree, as a first recommendation this wouldn't be it. When you explain to someone the shift, (the rattler, not getting weekends off, bidding leave a year in advance) people tend to think twice. That's part of the reason why we need to command higher wages, this job will kill you. I've known 3 people who have died shortly after retirement.
Now this I do agree with you! I worked with a few controllers that died shortly after retirement.

The highest paid cops in the country are on Long Island NY, and I was making more than double what my lieutenant neighbor was making, so not sure wtf you are talking about.
ok were you at n90, isp, zny? I bet that that you also don't get 2-3x your hourly rate when a security firm hires o/t to go sit in a cruiser at a construction site. You're salary might have been much higher (maybe even your real pay)

The police academy is similar to oklahoma (700 hours Basic Course for Police Officers - NY DCJS)

Suffolk county negotiated tiers to 158k after 11 years, 50% salary after 20 years, more pto (same as zny n90 training at this point lmao) (Join Suffolk County Police Department.)

Also most police officers are somewhere between 136-152 right now
(County Salaries By Department 2016)

average salary in suffolk is 163k Empire Center report: Suffolk police among the highest-paid cops in New York

Longevity compensation; hazardous duty compensation; expanded duty pay

you can say they rakin in 50k or so in overtime, the top guy made 180 k in overtime

tldr your friend is not the whole picture of the police force

ok were you at n90, isp, zny? I bet that that you also don't get 2-3x your hourly rate when a security firm hires o/t to go sit in a cruiser at a construction site. You're salary might have been much higher (maybe even your real pay)

The police academy is similar to oklahoma (700 hours Basic Course for Police Officers - NY DCJS)

Suffolk county negotiated tiers to 158k after 11 years, 50% salary after 20 years, more pto (same as zny n90 training at this point lmao) (Join Suffolk County Police Department.)

average salary in suffolk is 163k Empire Center report: Suffolk police among the highest-paid cops in New York

you can say they rakin in 50k or so in overtime, the top guy made 180 k in overtime

Also don't police, or fire, or maybe both (probably also depends on location) get their pensions based off actual gross income, not base?

Anyhow, not that the gigantic post was relevant. The police really do provide a necessary service and I'm glad to see them negotiating benefits.
CAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE CLASS THINK OF OTHER SERVICES THAT ARE REQUIRED FOR THE CONTINUING FUNCTION
USPS getting some big hits from 2021, they are in negotiations again now (NEW: Summary of APWU Tentative Agreement)

USPS citing record number of packages in asking for more money and demanding employee protections in case of another rona incident

Also don't police, or fire, or maybe both (probably also depends on location) get their pensions based off actual gross income, not base?
Somehow I don't feel as bad for the guys friend that made half his salary on long island.

The suburban cop with the fattest pension who retired last year is Nassau County Officer Jeff Fabre, 52, who walked into the sunset with a $221,086 package, the report said.

According to payroll records, Fabre had total pay of $326,950 in 2017. But he had just a base salary of $122,514, according to records previously posted by Newsday. He more than doubled his income through overtime and other supplemental pay and benefits.

Another Nassau officer, Thomas Papaccio, 59, retired with a $179,440 pension. Papaccio also had a base salary of $122,000 but raked in $85,246 in overtime in 2017, as well as other supplemental benefits that boosted his total salary to $234,903. His 2018 salary was $254,991.

Last edited:
Somehow I don't feel as bad for the guys friend that made half his salary on long island.

The suburban cop with the fattest pension who retired last year is Nassau County Officer Jeff Fabre, 52, who walked into the sunset with a $221,086 package, the report said.

According to payroll records, Fabre had total pay of $326,950 in 2017. But he had just a base salary of $122,514, according to records previously posted by Newsday. He more than doubled his income through overtime and other supplemental pay and benefits.

Another Nassau officer, Thomas Papaccio, 59, retired with a $179,440 pension. Papaccio also had a base salary of $122,000 but raked in $85,246 in overtime in 2017, as well as other supplemental benefits that boosted his total salary to $234,903. His 2018 salary was $254,991.

We are getting shafted lol good lord

Well their retirement includes ot (since it's Suffolk the locality is baked into the base)

That said we make how much more than our base every year?

Hey maybe if they included locality in retirement people would want to flood to long island
Locality IS included in your pension. It uses your base salary, which includes locality. You're probably thinking of basic salary, which isn't what our pension uses.

The locality rates the gov't uses are dramatically lower than the actual locality rates. If they used the real locality rates, AND we didn't have pay caps, *then* we'd have people flooding the poorly staffed expensive areas.

That said, you can not say it's NATCA's fault for not doing any of the above. Our contract has no impact on any of the above issues. In order for us to get any of that (gross income counted toward high three, use actual locality rates, not be capped by stupid caps caused by a broken system), it would require Congress to pass multiple laws changing how the system currently works. Or maybe one new law that put ATC in an entirely separate system that exempted us from all the other rules that would normally apply to federal employees, which is unlikely to ever happen.

That said, you can not say it's NATCA's fault for not doing any of the above. Our contract has no impact on any of the above issues. In order for us to get any of that (gross income counted toward high three, use actual locality rates, not be capped by stupid caps caused by a broken system), it would require Congress to pass multiple laws changing how the system currently works. Or maybe one new law that put ATC in an entirely separate system that exempted us from all the other rules that would normally apply to federal employees, which is unlikely to ever happen.
Yah but they spend all their time Lobbying for pointless shit like the FAA reauthorization. Like congress was going to defund the FAA if they didn’t remind them not to.

I was at N90. My base pay was 193k, but with differentials and OT I was grossing over 350k every year for my last 8 years on the job. It’s true he wasn’t doing much OT, so there’s that.

Locality IS included in your pension. It uses your base salary, which includes locality. You're probably thinking of basic salary, which isn't what our pension uses.

The locality rates the gov't uses are dramatically lower than the actual locality rates. If they used the real locality rates, AND we didn't have pay caps, *then* we'd have people flooding the poorly staffed expensive areas.
So hypothetically, your next three years will be your highest, they are also your last three. no family or anything to worry about.
your base is x
at x+fac1 you make 200k
at x+fac2 you make 175

you'd be better off going to facility 1? My bad on my misinformation

Back
Top Bottom