July 2020

Oh for sure. One of the Air Force people we got was definitely not previous experience but they worked hard and figured it out. But a facility our size isn’t equipped to bring a person like that from the ground up and it showed watching them train. I’m convinced half the previous experience new hires coming in should be going to the academy.
I skipped the academy for tower and felt like I was at a huge disadvantage since everything is so much different. I didn't really struggle in training, but that's I know how to be 'seen and not heard' like successful are as aaran34 says. Prior mil should absolutely have to go through the academy like everyone else IMO.

I worked at a military tower that was VFR helo only. It was high volume but not that complex. We didn't have training hours though. You were given 7 months and they gave extensions out like candy so everyone made it lol. Everyone I worked with there that got hired into the FAA has certified at level 5 thru 12 facilities. One of the guys from that tower went to PCT as his 1st facility and checked out. So who knows
Pretty similar where I was at, days of training instead of hours. They didn't give extensions tho. For how incredibly slow it was, out of maybe 20 people or so that left the service for the FAA, everyone has made it except one at all the facilities we were assigned to and err'd to. levels 5-12 enroute terminal etc. Must have counted for something.

I worked at a military tower that was VFR helo only. It was high volume but not that complex. We didn't have training hours though. You were given 7 months and they gave extensions out like candy so everyone made it lol. Everyone I worked with there that got hired into the FAA has certified at level 5 thru 12 facilities. One of the guys from that tower went to PCT as his 1st facility and checked out. So who knows
Ask Robertb what he thinks of PCT

The axe of Reno lol. I worked at RNO for 3 years. It's a great place to learn, but it's as basic as ATC gets.
If you can't certify there you really shouldn't be in air traffic in the 1st place. Military ATC must not be creating the experience level it used to. That or people are "doctoring up" their military experience in order to get hired. That's just sad. I served in the early/mid 2000s with guys and worked contract before the FAA with guys who's 1st FAA facilities were places like IAD, PCT, LAS, PHL. They all certified, and it was white book. It seems like these VRAs now days ain't what they used to be.
Wait, so you’re disputing the bullshit that gets spewed on here about how RNO is one of the hardest places to certify? Intriguing

Wait, so you’re disputing the bullshit that gets spewed on here about how RNO is one of the hardest places to certify? Intriguing
I'm not talking bad about anyone and I'm not saying names. But people who washed on their 1st center d side at centers have certified at Reno. A person who washed at a level 5 up/down has certified at Reno. A guy who washed on CD at a level 8 up/down has certified at Reno. A guy that washed at a 7 tower only has certified at Reno. It happens, people wash and get 2nd chances. I have been through it myself. My point is Reno isn't some extremely difficult place, and people who have had problems at other locations have gone there and certified. I did see 2 people wash while I was there and I can say that one of them didn't deserve it. But unfortunately people get raw deals in this agency sometimes. I've experienced that as well.

I skipped the academy for tower and felt like I was at a huge disadvantage since everything is so much different. I didn't really struggle in training, but that's I know how to be 'seen and not heard' like successful are as aaran34 says. Prior mil should absolutely have to go through the academy like everyone else IMO.

Pretty similar where I was at, days of training instead of hours. They didn't give extensions tho. For how incredibly slow it was, out of maybe 20 people or so that left the service for the FAA, everyone has made it except one at all the facilities we were assigned to and err'd to. levels 5-12 enroute terminal etc. Must have counted for something.
Prior mil should definitely go to the academy. I did, most of my buddies did, and I think it definitely helps get acquainted with how things work in the FAA: rules, equipment, expectations, etc. I should have noted that one of my buddies that washed was at mid level tower.

VRA previous experience came to D21, washed on his first scope recently, didn’t even get NEST’d... they offered him FSS in Alaska, he quit and went DOD. Felt bad for the dude. Got thrown into high level tracon and hadn’t talked to a plane is 4+ years before getting hired by the FAA...

VRA previous experience came to D21, washed on his first scope recently, didn’t even get NEST’d... they offered him FSS in Alaska, he quit and went DOD. Felt bad for the dude. Got thrown into high level tracon and hadn’t talked to a plane is 4+ years before getting hired by the FAA...
That’s a bunch of shit. Doing nobody any favors.

No NEST? Damn, cold world. Honestly that's crazy. I've seen people with zero certs get offered multiple level 4 and 5 towers. And they certified with their 2nd chance and have since moved up. What a shame.

I really don't care what he thinks. Plus this same person works at N90 now. My only point is previous experience controllers can come from low experience level military facilities and be very successful in the FAA. I have and I personally know plenty of others
Well your buddy really screwed up! They got that 12 down to a 11 back up to a 12 bump before! Now that the traffic is down, the same thing could happen again, at PCT, and they’d probably be capped out in a few years. Why someone would leave a building where you can hide away from traffic on James River or even Shenandoah now is beyond my comprehension.

Lies. Just a little bit of the wild west still. Airport layout would be perfection if only the 16s were a touch further apart, thanks United. Oh yeah and if someone could get rid of the Denver Cyclone and microbursts that'd be great too. D01 is a unique challenge and high volume facility with a fun group of controllers.
Wild west controllers don’t want 5 MIT between same fix successive departures from tower.....

Wild west controllers don’t want 5 MIT between same fix successive departures from tower.....
Wild West controllers also don’t keep that 5 MIT on successive departures going to center, and shut off arrival gates with no notice and scream and cry about any TMU restrictions center tries to put out. All while simultaneously asking for 45 in trail through the gate and having their supe call the OMIC for every little transgression

49lveg.jpg

p.s. Bring back the Cuban Revolution avatar

here you go bud #CubaSiCastroNo

Does anyone know if NCEPT has been pretty steady every 3 months not counting this past march? Could we expect another panel in October?

Wild West controllers also don’t keep that 5 MIT on successive departures going to center, and shut off arrival gates with no notice and scream and cry about any TMU restrictions center tries to put out. All while simultaneously asking for 45 in trail through the gate and having their supe call the OMIC for every little transgression
How could I have forgotten the miles in trail requests for controller amusement??? /s

I said wild west (procedures) as in most rules don't apply. Didn't say anything about wild west controllers. I'm not there anymore so I can't give you details on what's up but generally people don't make requests of other facilities just for funzies.

Edit: you think it's fun now wait until they get the supersonic jet out of APA (that 45 MIT is now 60) and the rockets out of FCO or whatever Front Range is called now... Then it really will be the wild west.

Back
Top Bottom