July 2020

There have been a few (four I think total since the facilities split) from ATL certify at A80, but that’s the only tower only transfer facility to certify. People might think I’m an ass, but I’m just trying to be honest with them. I don’t believe it is in someone’s best interest to buy a house during training. Why add another potential stress when your number one goal is to get certified?
The housing market has been hit hard here with aviation cut backs and the movie industry taking a hammering. I’ve dropped the price of my house over 5% and still can’t get a buyer and that’s with it 10% below the appraised value! The only people buying houses are REALLY secure in their career fields and most are paying a premium to buy a new house versus a three year old house.
I’m not advocating buying a house as a trainee, and I haven’t my first three facilities. I’m debating on my fourth. Weighing the baller interest rate vs possible price drops in spring and what the rates will do then. A .5% rate change on 500k amounts to 40k +. That’s huge.
People obviously need to look at their situation and financials etc. Houses can be rented out. Especially close to colleges when those open back up etc. Even if you wash and have to move, I’d love to have some rental properties in areas I’ve lived before lol.
The issue is CPCs thinking it is too cocky and that the trainee shouldn’t certify because of a house purchase.

I’m not advocating buying a house as a trainee, and I haven’t my first three facilities. I’m debating on my fourth. Weighing the baller interest rate vs possible price drops in spring and what the rates will do then. A .5% rate change on 500k amounts to 40k +. That’s huge.
People obviously need to look at their situation and financials etc. Houses can be rented out. Especially close to colleges when those open back up etc. Even if you wash and have to move, I’d love to have some rental properties in areas I’ve lived before lol.
The issue is CPCs thinking it is too cocky and that the trainee shouldn’t certify because of a house purchase.
Yeah, people make their own choices based on their own financial risk tolerance. I could care less whether someone buys a house or not. Personally, I wouldn’t want the added stress while training. Most people that have washed here and bought houses, start manufacturing BS/accusations to save their own ass and stay versus having to move away.

I've always thought the "trainees shouldn't buy a house" mentality to be very offensive and condescending. The implication being that ATC is everything, the end all be all. It presupposes no savings, no investments, no other income. Its frankly no ones business if a trainee buys a house or not. Even if they wash, 90+% get placed in NEST, and it could turn into a rental property at worst. #BestJobInTheWorld ham and Eggers need to get out of 1985

Nothing wrong with telling trainees to be smart with their money. I've seen tens of thousands of dollars donated to realtors when trainees:

1. Sell their house where they moved from
2. Buy a house here
3. Wash out and sell a house here
4. Buy a new house at their next facility

In some cases the money spent on the cost of moving real estate around alone is more than the entire salary they've earned while training at my facility. But yeahif you think you can keep it as a rental property/investment go ahead! It just looks retarded trying to rationalize stupid purchases tho

Nothing wrong with telling trainees to be smart with their money.

yes there is. stick to ATC training. I dont assume people I train know less about finances or the broader world than me, just because they're an ATC apprentice. That's that old boy culture though. Superiority complex and arrogance.

yes there is. stick to ATC training. I dont assume people I train know less about finances or the broader world than me, just because they're an ATC apprentice. That's that old boy culture though. Superiority complex and arrogance.
Na, I'll pay attention to peoples decision making in general. You'd be surprised at how many people who make retarded decisions in life make retarded decisions working traffic

Yeah, people make their own choices based on their own financial risk tolerance. I could care less whether someone buys a house or not. Personally, I wouldn’t want the added stress while training. Most people that have washed here and bought houses, start manufacturing BS/accusations to save their own ass and stay versus having to move away.
I bought one cus I’m in the city I already lived in. If I wash then that’s all she wrote for my atc career. I ain’t moving.

Nothing wrong with telling trainees to be smart with their money. I've seen tens of thousands of dollars donated to realtors when trainees:

1. Sell their house where they moved from
2. Buy a house here
3. Wash out and sell a house here
4. Buy a new house at their next facility

In some cases the money spent on the cost of moving real estate around alone is more than the entire salary they've earned while training at my facility. But yeahif you think you can keep it as a rental property/investment go ahead! It just looks retarded trying to rationalize stupid purchases tho
Again, financial advice is great. Being a dick to people in training because they purchase isn’t. I lost out on about $100k by not buying earlier in Portland. That hurts lol.

Again, financial advice is great. Being a dick to people in training because they purchase isn’t. I lost out on about $100k by not buying earlier in Portland. That hurts lol.
Fox News said Portland is going to burn to the ground because of Antifa so you might just want to wait a few months and pick up something REAL cheap!

But unsolicited financial advice is not great. Especially from someone who has 2 $800 a month car payments, a $500,000 house, a boat, and an RV and then brags about how they are doing so well financially.

But unsolicited financial advice is not great. Especially from someone who has 2 $800 a month car payments, a $500,000 house, a boat, and an RV and then brags about how they are doing so well financially.
Some places it’s hard to find a decent home for less than 500k though

CPCs that act like you can’t get fired from other jobs. YOU CAN NEVER BUY A HOUSE CUS YOU MIGHT GET FIRED
This is true, if you think it's risky to buy a house as a ATC trainee it is probably as risky to buy a home working any job in the private sector over the last 40 years, as the percentage of people laid off, fired, outsourced or having their job eliminated at least once in their life has to be higher then the average ATC washout rate unless you take a suicide mission that only heroes can succeed in like Atlanta TRACON.

This is true, if you think it's risky to buy a house as a ATC trainee it is probably as risky to buy a home working any job in the private sector over the last 40 years, as the percentage of people laid off, fired, outsourced or having their job eliminated at least once in their life has to be higher then the average ATC washout rate unless you take a suicide mission that only heroes can succeed in like Atlanta TRACON.
ORD tower with zero RPO experience

ha. Well if you bought a house in NYC metro and lost a finance job you should probably be able to find another. If you have an air traffic management degree and just went to NY center and washed, I’d say that’s a different animal. Wouldn’t you?

ha. Well if you bought a house in NYC metro and lost a finance job you should probably be able to find another. If you have an air traffic management degree and just went to NY center and washed, I’d say that’s a different animal. Wouldn’t you?
A lot of us have had other careers before getting selected

I always recommend people buy real estate as early as they can if it makes sense financially (mortgage cheaper than rent). I’ve known a few trainees buy houses while still doing classroom training at a Z. With the amount of delays for one thing or another, if you wash, it could be 2-3 years down the road and at that point you have some equity.

Back
Top Bottom