New time off between shifts mandate. Big change

The reverse rattler literally gives you the most time off between shifts out of all the schedules. This idea isn't some recent invention. First day mid was always the worst case scenario out of crying about the schedule.

The problem is that permanent shifts fuck over low seniority people, and weekly (or longer) rotating shifts annoy the fuck out of high seniority people.
Totally understand, I’m just saying that this might be step one in eliminating the rattler from the agency’s side. Half of the study was them talking about how it contributes to fatigue levels. Which was all the people who wrote it were focused on, they didn’t have a real alternative.

And while they’ve been talking about how bad it is for decades, this is the first action they’ve taken to hinder its implementation.

It’s interesting you bring up intensity. One of the nice parts of the rattler is you kinda get to chill out for some of your hours during the week. Working 40 hours of straight busy traffic in the summer can be very tiring.
There is a part where they briefly touch on if controllers really need a break after 2 hours. They suggest if it should be re-examined to either lengthen or shorten it and how much fatigue you actually accumulate working position. Which was the most infuriating part.

Basically posing the question if we get fatigued from working busy position or if it’s just some of our fucked sleep schedules.

Which proves to me that since they took such a narrow focus in some of these subjects that they don’t have the whole picture and suggesting unilateral changes without knowing every aspect of the job is pointless.

Interpret this how you will... seems... well you deduce. Enjoy the "imposed measures."

From the Desk of President Rich Santa: An Update on FAA Rest Rules

Sisters and Brothers,

By now, you have likely seen or heard about the statement from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announcing the Administrator’s intent to implement new rest rules to address air traffic controller fatigue.

Although NATCA believes that addressing controller fatigue should be a top priority for the FAA, the Agency did not consult or collaborate with our Union before issuing this unilateral order. The FAA has not tested or modeled these changes, and unintended consequences that result from this rule change could make the situation worse if shift coverage is compromised and additional mandatory overtime to cover the lapses is required.

The fact is that instead of addressing the critical staffing issue, the FAA made this announcement as a calculated tactic to deflect and distract from the core cause of controller fatigue – controller staffing shortages. Rest assured that NATCA will be using all our resources to represent and protect the membership from the negative effects of the implementation of this change to the FAA’s order. When the time is right, and if necessary, we will engage members of Congress and the public through earned media.

In 2022, due to staffing shortages, more than 40 percent of controllers worked 6-day weeks at least once per month and several facilities required 6-day work weeks every single week. There is no question that these staff shortages are the top contributor to fatigue and addressing them must be the priority.

Furthermore, any solution that involves a change in rest rules should be created through a collaborative process and not imposed by the Agency in an untested manner. If the Administrator truly wants to address controller fatigue and rest rules, we look forward to the opportunity to work with the FAA to develop solutions that take into account the real-world challenges faced by our members.

We have also reached out to our partners and stakeholders in the aviation industry to educate them on this recent unilateral action by the Agency and the potential effect it may have on the capacity of the National Airspace System.

We will continue to keep you informed on this important issue.

In solidarity,

Rich Santa NATCA President

Interpret this how you will... seems... well you deduce. Enjoy the "imposed measures."

From the Desk of President Rich Santa: An Update on FAA Rest Rules

Sisters and Brothers,

By now, you have likely seen or heard about the statement from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announcing the Administrator’s intent to implement new rest rules to address air traffic controller fatigue.

Although NATCA believes that addressing controller fatigue should be a top priority for the FAA, the Agency did not consult or collaborate with our Union before issuing this unilateral order. The FAA has not tested or modeled these changes, and unintended consequences that result from this rule change could make the situation worse if shift coverage is compromised and additional mandatory overtime to cover the lapses is required.

The fact is that instead of addressing the critical staffing issue, the FAA made this announcement as a calculated tactic to deflect and distract from the core cause of controller fatigue – controller staffing shortages. Rest assured that NATCA will be using all our resources to represent and protect the membership from the negative effects of the implementation of this change to the FAA’s order. When the time is right, and if necessary, we will engage members of Congress and the public through earned media.

In 2022, due to staffing shortages, more than 40 percent of controllers worked 6-day weeks at least once per month and several facilities required 6-day work weeks every single week. There is no question that these staff shortages are the top contributor to fatigue and addressing them must be the priority.

Furthermore, any solution that involves a change in rest rules should be created through a collaborative process and not imposed by the Agency in an untested manner. If the Administrator truly wants to address controller fatigue and rest rules, we look forward to the opportunity to work with the FAA to develop solutions that take into account the real-world challenges faced by our members.

We have also reached out to our partners and stakeholders in the aviation industry to educate them on this recent unilateral action by the Agency and the potential effect it may have on the capacity of the National Airspace System.

We will continue to keep you informed on this important issue.

In solidarity,

Rich Santa NATCA President
Reaching out to partners in the NAS.... fckna.

Rich is cooked. We have no pull.

Read article 31 again. It doesn’t provide for free child care, it says the government may provide government owned or leased space for child care free of charge if it’s found feasible and needed.
Read my previous comments again, never stated that the agency pays for anyone’s child care and said so elsewhere. I’m fully aware that Article 31 provides assistance and may develop programs for that same purpose. Regardless, my point with this is also stated elsewhere.

“When the time is right, and if necessary, we will engage members of Congress and the public through earned media.”

The time has been right for years…..
No BS. Rich Santa might be the WEAKEST “leader” I’ve seen. Paul Rinaldi was on mainstream media like everyday during the shutdown. How’s Rich making his predecessor look like Jesus in this motherfucker?!

You guys that keep bringing up "excused absence" to count towards your 12 hours of rest don't understand that is one thing we can say hands down will never happen. If you're in a paid state of leave or absence you're considered on duty as far as rest hours go.

Haven't you ever banged on the swing before your quick turn then try to flex in the next morning and it says "oops! You have less than 9 hours of rest!" even though you actually had 36 hours of rest. It doesn't matter. Multiple managers I've talked to say there's no way around that unless they change your shift before you bang. If you think the FAA is magically just going to come up with a solution now to accommodate admin leave for every controller every week you're nuts.

What if they did the excused absence on the front end? Like work 830a-430p, 230a-630a excused, work 630a-1030a, midnight 1030p-630a?

I'm sure they don't want to and won't give us excused but this would be legal right or no?

Last edited:
Leave counts as hours worked. The whole excused argument doesn’t work. Read the 7210.3

Leave counts as hours worked. The whole excused argument doesn’t work. Read the 7210.3
They can just change it. They are going to have to change it for the new 12 hour rule anyways. No other jobs interprets you not working as that you worked. Sick leave means you worked but RDO swap means you didn’t? Or shift swap then bang out? It’s made up

What I heard today was that Whitaker is putting or attempting to put it the new fatigue rules into the 7210.3. In that case, I was told, it supersedes any schedule MOUs.
It should be the other way around. The point 3 can't supercede the contract or any MOUs. There are already things in the 7210 that we don't do because of MOUs like being forced to sign ourselves in and out.

What I heard today was that Whitaker is putting or attempting to put it the new fatigue rules into the 7210.3. In that case, I was told, it supersedes any schedule MOUs.
You were told wrong. BWS MOU supersedes the 7210.3…for now

Back
Top Bottom