Pay (FAQ)

Cip is listed as a line under the regular earnings. Not baked into the rate
To confirm, you don't get "extra" CIP added to your calculation for Sunday/night pay, correct? And if you worked 88 hours in one pay period would you get 80, 88, or 92 hours' worth of CIP? I assume 88.

To confirm, you don't get "extra" CIP added to your calculation for Sunday/night pay, correct? And if you worked 88 hours in one pay period would you get 80, 88, or 92 hours' worth of CIP? I assume 88.
Its just shows as an extra line under your hourly base pay, night, Sunday etc. Its always 80 hours of cip no matter what to my knowledge but i don't work OT. Your annual salary that shows in employees express doesn't include the cip, its just added in every paycheck

Looking to update my pay calculator spreadsheet for 2020/2021, iron out some logic errors, etc. Useful for keeping payroll honest as we continue to run into shutdown season. I'm realizing it would be helpful to break out the pay in line items just like on the LES.

Question to those of you who get CIP/COLA (please answer for either one): is it listed as a line item under Earnings alongside Regular, Holiday-Worked, etc? Or is it baked into the Rate?

CIP is marked as a separate line under "Earnings" with a $/hr rate (CIP % of your Basic hourly pay), for 80 hours whether you've worked overtime, or taken leave, and has been the full 80hrs/check during the EA we've had this year.

When do we start getting paid after the FOL?

During basics? During academy? Once we arrive at facility?

The struggle is real right now.

I am still trying to figure out how my raise will be calculated once (and if!) I certify at my new transfer facility. I have reached out to the HR person who issued my FOL and she said that #2 below is correct. I am not convinced, however, as the experience of others on this website seem to mirror scenario #1. The difference is minimal, but I would still like to know. Thanks in advance to anyone who will share their input.

The pay raise is a total of 6%. Band min/max limits are not a factor in my case.

Basic pay upon reporting to the facility: $92,091
6% pay increase: $92,091 x 0.06 = $5,525
Basic pay after 1/2 of the 6% increase: $92,091 + ($5,525 / 2) = $94,854
Basic pay after contractual 1.6% pay raise in June 2020: $94,854 x 1.016 = $96,372
Basic pay after 1% Presidential raise in January 2021: $96,372 x 1.01 = $97,336
Basic pay after contractual 1.6% pay raise in June 2021: $97,336 x 1.016 = $98,893
Basic pay after certification (wishful assumption of August 2021): $98,893 + (5,525 / 2) = $101,656

Basic pay after 3% increase: $92,091 x 1.03 = $94,854
Basic pay after contractual 1.6% pay raise in June 2020: $94,854 x 1.016 = $96,372
Basic pay after contractual 1.6% pay raise in June 2021: $97,336 x 1.016 = $98,893
Basic pay after certification (wishful assumption of August 2021): $98,893 x 1.03 = $101,859

Last edited:
I am still trying to figure out how my raise will be calculated once (and if!) I certify at my new transfer facility. I have reached out to the HR person who issued my FOL and she said that #2 below is correct. I am not convinced, however, as the experience of others on this website seem to mirror scenario #1. The difference is minimal, but I would still like to know. Thanks in advance to anyone who will share their input.

The pay raise is a total of 6%. Band min/max limits are not a factor in my case.

6% pay increase: $92,091 x 0.06 = $5,525
Basic pay after 1/2 of the 6% increase: $92,091 + ($5,525 / 2) = $94,854
Basic pay after certification (wishful assumption of August 2021): $98,893 + (5,525 / 2) = $101,656

Basic pay after 3% increase: $92,091 = $94,854
Basic pay after certification (wishful assumption of August 2021): $98,893 x 1.03 = $101,859
That’s a complicated way to ask if the final 50% certification raise is 3% of your current pay or the pay you left your old facility at. The answer is #1. Your raise is based on the 6% of your old facility. Figure 6% at the new locality, halve it and you have you first AND final pay raise.

That’s a complicated way to ask if the final 50% certification raise is 3% of your current pay or the pay you left your old facility at.
I agree that it's a seemingly convoluted way to pose that question, however when I worded it in simple terms (similar to how you summed it up) the HR POC responded that it would be 3% of my current pay, i.e. the basic pay at the time of certification.

Because her response goes against everything else I read on this website, I typed up the two scenarios #1 and #2 above and asked her to pick one, just to make sure that I was not misunderstanding her.

To my surprise, she picked #2.

For the people that get hired under Prior Experience, they arrive at their facility making the lowest D band. Let's say it's D1.
At this facility, an AG certifies on the first position and moves up to D1.
When the prior experience person certifies on that first position, do they get a 6% raise within the D1 band? Or does their pay stay the same since they're already at D1 pay status?

For the people that get hired under Prior Experience, they arrive at their facility making the lowest D band. Let's say it's D1.
At this facility, an AG certifies on the first position and moves up to D1.
When the prior experience person certifies on that first position, do they get a 6% raise within the D1 band? Or does their pay stay the same since they're already at D1 pay status?
You get the 6% raise. I got it with that exact scenario, reference is Slate Book, article 108 Pay, section 6, paragraph b.
next band or 6%, whichever is higher

You get the 6% raise. I got it with that exact scenario, reference is Slate Book, article 108 Pay, section 6, paragraph b.
next band or 6%, whichever is higher
Yeah I was looking at that. Wasn't as clear as I thought it would be though.
"Progression upward to the next developmental stage"
Argument against it is that the person is already at that developmental stage, so certifying on the position doesn't change anything.
Except the "developmental stage" is in regards to position certifications and not a pay status. Just not as clear as I'd like, so I'll have to make a couple calls.

Last sentence is correct. The person isn't at the developmental stage just had pay set to the lowest D-band on arrival to the facility. A prior experience new hire sent to a 5 would be an AG paid as D3. Once certifying on enough positions would move to D3 and get a 6% pay raise. Then once CPC would go to the bottom of the CPC band or another 6% raise, whichever is greater.

Yeah I was looking at that. Wasn't as clear as I thought it would be though.
"Progression upward to the next developmental stage"
Argument against it is that the person is already at that developmental stage, so certifying on the position doesn't change anything.
Except the "developmental stage" is in regards to position certifications and not a pay status. Just not as clear as I'd like, so I'll have to make a couple calls.
They pay stage and career stage are separate, but both referred to as developmental. When the career level changes, its checked against the pay. There was a thread about this a few years ago where I think I posted my SF50s. If you have access to the HR worksheets they use to calculate pay it makes more sense.

They pay stage and career stage are separate, but both referred to as developmental. When the career level changes, its checked against the pay. There was a thread about this a few years ago where I think I posted my SF50s. If you have access to the HR worksheets they use to calculate pay it makes more sense.
I had in my mind when I posted the question that the person got skipped over on a 6% raise.
But then I remembered that position doesn't change the D level and everything was done correctly.

Can anyone educate me on when FAA gets paid? Like is it military style where it is every 1st and 15th or do they do it differently? Also typically how long does it take to get paid once you start the academy? I am assuming it takes a few weeks due to processing?

Can anyone educate me on when FAA gets paid? Like is it military style where it is every 1st and 15th or do they do it differently? Also typically how long does it take to get paid once you start the academy? I am assuming it takes a few weeks due to processing?
Every other Tuesday I believe is what they get paid. 26 times a year. When you get paid depends on your start date.

They'll tell you on your first day at the academy that it could be 4-6 weeks before you see a paycheck, depending on when in the pay period you actually start. Although these days with the online basics, I assume you'd be getting paid well before you actually get to OKC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom