Staffing Telcon

Rumor is that A80 and LAX will be added to a priority release MOU that would only apply to level 8 transfers and above... Everything is being done to try and get it to apply to the September panel.

Damn, why is 8 this magical cutoff? Why isn't there a Tracon/tower ops cutoff number for the facility transferring to. I know damn well our level 2 tower is not what is keeping us a 7.

Unfortunately, both cases were true in my case. My desired facility was eligible to select 8 last round. They were ranked in top 20. The person that got selected from my facility went somewhere ranked in the 60s on the priority list.

The facility I was trying to get to selected 4 CPCs and 1 trainee. My RVP said I was lowly ranked with "markings of insufficient experience."

Man that's a bunch of shit. You would think they would take whatever they can get to improve staffing. With the exception of a few facilities out there, most have probably seen new hires make lol. Some experience is better than a new hire.

With this new system you never know when the inbounds are going to dry up. A Co worker turned down ATL and they haven't selected another since lol. I'm not saying they won't be able to soon, but these numbers change every month for some obscure rule or another. Better to have another willing body in the pipeline imo.

Damn, why is 8 this magical cutoff? Why isn't there a Tracon/tower ops cutoff number for the facility transferring to. I know damn well our level 2 tower is not what is keeping us a 7.
Because the success rate for level 8 and lower transfers is less than 24% versus over 64% for 9s and higher. There are quite a few level 8 ERRs in so that's why it is lower than a level 9 only priority release.

Because the success rate for level 8 and lower transfers is less than 24% versus over 64% for 9s and higher. There are quite a few level 8 ERRs in so that's why it is lower than a level 9 only priority release.

I understand, but being an 8 for an up/down can be convoluted with tower ops.
SG did really well down there, although we were an "8" at that time he was picked up.
I'm sure others can say the same, but we have had one failure out of countless that transferred to 10+.
This is why I would think Tracon ops should be more important.

Are you saying they will be added to the C90/N90 bid or that they will still be included in the NCEPT but will only be able to select 8 or above CPCs?
Level 8s and above will be selected, on the quarterly NCEPT selections, with priority releases regardless of someone's facility staffing levels. If you're not at a level 8 or higher, your facility will have to be CAT 1 or CAT 2 to be released to A80 or LAX.

I picked random facilities...
MDT (level 7)- 143K ops
CHS (level 8)- 155K ops (8% more ops than MDT)
SAT (level 9)- 318K ops (223% more ops than MDT)

Big difference even by a small facility level jump...

It's funny, I tried to get to LAX for nearly 4 years from a level 8 under the old system. I kept an ERR updated, applied for every bid they put out even though they had a requirement for 9 and higher. They finally wanted me after I was selected somewhere else.

They would gladly take someone from GFK and pay them move money to get to LAX but since I was at an 8 that was mainly IFR airline traffic I wasn't good enough.

MDT (level 7)- 143K ops

Wait you just confirmed my thoughts. CHS level with only 12k more could get the special release to A80...

These last minute rules and amendments are getting ridiculous...

"If you're from an odd numbered facility level, and your birthday was before the Challenger explosion but after Michael Jackson released Thriller, and you had a previous ERR in to XXX facility, but not a current ERR to XXX facility, your expired ERR is automatically regenerated and you will be given priority released so long as the losing facility operates at least one set of parallel runways...

It's great when your primary airport and the namesake of your facility isn't even the busiest airport in the airspace. :D
I had a previous facility like that....and if the FAA had let them use the military airport as the primary airport instead of the international airport, we'd have been a level higher.

I had a previous facility like that....and if the FAA had let them use the military airport as the primary airport instead of the international airport, we'd have been a level higher.
I was being sarcastic...i'm pretty sure SBN is the busiest, but we have a satellite that has 3 flight schools that would be a contender.

MDT (level 7)- 143K ops

but...A80 only did 1.2 million ops last year.
Level 8s and above will be selected, on the quarterly NCEPT selections, with priority releases regardless of someone's facility staffing levels. If you're not at a level 8 or higher, your facility will have to be CAT 1 or CAT 2 to be released to A80 or LAX.
Wow... that's wild, so it's basically the equivalent of a quarterly MPP bid with an unpaid move. That will definitely solve your staffing crisis in time. It also removes two facilities from the list of 'guaranteed' selections. As it stands only ZNY is left in that category. The 'certify and litter the top 10 and get picked up' days are over for good.

Back
Top Bottom