Staffing Telcon

I was being sarcastic...i'm pretty sure SBN is the busiest, but we have a satellite that has 3 flight schools that would be a contender.
It was a giant difference for us. FAA tower was like 100k operations, military tower was like 300k ops. Plus their Outlying Field traffic they had towers at with non-stop pattern traffic too. Ran approach/departure for all of them.

but...A80 only did 1.2 million ops last year.
Wow... that's wild, so it's basically the equivalent of a quarterly MPP bid with an unpaid move. That will definitely solve your staffing crisis in time. It also removes two facilities from the list of 'guaranteed' selections. As it stands only ZNY is left in that category. As is stands now, the 'certify and litter the top 10 and get picked up' days are over for good.
Curious how HR will send the names? Anyone with A80 in regardless of current manning will be forwarded to the ATM at A80 instead of only facs that can release? This is good for A80 for sure. Good thing the other two big places I want to go to are selecting also

Do we know A80 and LAX won't have paid moves?
Death, Taxes, and @Robertb mentioning a paid move are really the only certain things we know in this life. I figured he would've mentioned it in his first post. Also, in one of the first few panels, they discussed the uncertainly of people being selected for N90/C90 during the NCEPT and if they would be eligible for the paid move. It's the main reason they removed them from consideration and later, Guam, as well. If they remain 'in' the NCEPT, my money is on an unpaid move, but I'm sure RobertB will chime in with the final verdict.

Wait you just confirmed my thoughts. CHS level with only 12k more could get the special release to A80...
My point is that between a level 7 and a level 9 is a huge jump in traffic (a level 7 to a level 8 is also a large jump in traffic granted mostly in the tower for the majority of facilities) and also a huge jump in probability to certify here.

Death, Taxes, and @Robertb mentioning a paid move are really the only certain things we know in this life. I figured he would've mentioned it in his first post. Also, in one of the first few panels, they discussed the uncertainly of people being selected for N90/C90 during the NCEPT and if they would be eligible for the paid move. It's the main reason they removed them from consideration and later, Guam, as well. If they remain 'in' the NCEPT, my money is on an unpaid move, but I'm sure RobertB will chime in with the final verdict.
At this moment, a paid move bid is highly unlikely for A80. If you want to come here from a level 7 or lower, your best chance of getting selected is this panel as we are anticipating a TON of level 8s and higher on the next panel. If your paperwork isn't in already, your chances of coming here, from a level 7 or lower, are going to get worse for the foreseeable future.

My point is that between a level 7 and a level 9 is a huge jump in traffic (a level 7 to a level 8 is also a large jump in traffic granted mostly in the tower for the majority of facilities) and also a huge jump in probability to certify here.

Right, well everything is going to be a "jump". So everyone should just come from 11's or 12's under that logic. I would love to know the stats of a level 7 vs level 8 certifying rather than grouping them into certs from 11 and 12's.

Anyway the point is there is much better methods to understand certification possibility.

Oh and Shawn wanted to say that MDT is 4 for 4 at A80...

At this moment, a paid move bid is highly unlikely for A80. If you want to come here from a level 7 or lower, your best chance of getting selected is this panel as we are anticipating a TON of level 8s and higher on the next panel. If your paperwork isn't in already, your chances of coming here, from a level 7 or lower, are going to get worse for the foreseeable future.
And what's the new hire certification rate? Because the agency still sends new hires there. There one on the direct to facility list on KSN

Right, well everything is going to be a "jump". So everyone should just come from 11's or 12's under that logic. I would love to know the stats of a level 7 vs level 8 certifying rather than grouping them into certs from 11 and 12's.

Anyway the point is there is much better methods to understand certification possibility.
Ideally, yes everyone should come from 10s, 11s and 12s when they want to go to A80, C90, D10, N90, etc. because those backgrounds show that you've been able to work a significant volume of traffic and/or complexity. Even then, the difference between some level 11s and 12s is staggering in regards to traffic volume (Example: A80 did 1.2M ops/903K to ATL as a level 12 in 2016 while A90 did 640K ops/409K to BOS as a level 11 in 2016). You should start at a 5-8, then move up to a 8-11, then move on to a 10-12. Your upward mobility will be faster (say level 8 to 11 to 12) based on ability where a slower learner might need to move multiple times to potentially become a level 12 controller (say level 5 to 8 to 10 to 12).

I'll look at the historical success rate (2010-present is most readily available on the weekends) and let you know what the difference in success rates are between level 7s and 8s.

What's a currently accepted better method than historical success rates?!? Unfortunately, this is Minority Report where we can already see whether someone is going to certify or not and not bring in the people who won't make it. The last report I saw, if you came from a level 8 or lower your success rate was less than 24% and if you came from a level 9 or higher it was 64%. THAT is a HUGE difference. Hell, under a thinking other than using historical success rates, we might as well never stop taking tower only controllers because there might, might be one to make it eventually and that one person might feel hurt because they weren't given the opportunity to go from a tower only to a level 12 tracon. Success depends on a lot of stuff (the individual and their drive to be successful is most important), but you have to bring in the people who have the best chance to certify, especially in a critical situation, because we can't just look at someone and know whether they are going to certify or not. If it was that easy, it would make staffing significantly better.

Ideally, yes everyone should come from 10s, 11s and 12s when they want to go to A80, C90, D10, N90, etc. because those backgrounds show that you've been able to work a significant volume of traffic and/or complexity. Even then, the difference between some level 11s and 12s is staggering in regards to traffic volume (Example: A80 did 1.2M ops/903K to ATL as a level 12 in 2016 while A90 did 640K ops/409K to BOS as a level 11 in 2016). You should start at a 5-8, then move up to a 8-11, then move on to a 10-12. Your upward mobility will be faster (say level 8 to 11 to 12) based on ability where a slower learner might need to move multiple times to potentially become a level 12 controller (say level 5 to 8 to 10 to 12).

I'll look at the historical success rate (2010-present is most readily available on the weekends) and let you know what the difference in success rates are between level 7s and 8s.

What's a currently accepted better method than historical success rates?!? Unfortunately, this is Minority Report where we can already see whether someone is going to certify or not and not bring in the people who won't make it. The last report I saw, if you came from a level 8 or lower your success rate was less than 24% and if you came from a level 9 or higher it was 64%. THAT is a HUGE difference. Hell, under a thinking other than using historical success rates, we might as well never stop taking tower only controllers because there might, might be one to make it eventually and that one person might feel hurt because they weren't given the opportunity to go from a tower only to a level 12 tracon. Success depends on a lot of stuff (the individual and their drive to be successful is most important), but you have to bring in the people who have the best chance to certify, especially in a critical situation, because we can't just look at someone and know whether they are going to certify or not. If it was that easy, it would make staffing significantly better.
I get where you're coming from. It's not a bad argument except for one thing. I'm going to potentially get one move in my career, if that.

I personally would not mind a 8-10, in fact I had expected to make another stop on the way to my dream facility, a 12. But I also expected, based on what I was told by current controllers and my ATM, that I would have that chance.

That's not the reality of things right now. I have to fight with all of my coworkers to pick the 12 that's the highest priority, and hope enough people certify that we can get 1 release after 2 years of this process "working". That's barring nobody else quitting, or hardship, or leaving for DOD.

I get that it sucks for you guys to get and wash a bunch of people and never make any headway. It sucks for those of us that are at the lower levels who can't move at all. It sucks for everyone that we have a union that doesn't care one bit. Who exactly are they helping with NCEPT? What's the end game?

@Djfury05 ..... did you put your ERR in? Or waiting for staffing to improve?
I'm not waiting for staffing to improve. I went to fax them the other day and almost went office space on the damn fax machine. So they're sitting in my locker right now. Currently on a paid vacation compliments of Mr. Hurricane Harvey so I'll get them out when we're back. I have 6 ERR's and none are to A80 right now. Like to hold out for something in Dallas. But if they end up doing a paid move to A80 that would entice me further.

Since 2010, Shawn is the only one to come straight from MDT and certify here. If you go somewhere else, after MDT, prior to coming here, that doesn't make the MDT background part of the determination for the reason you were successful and used to determine a potential success rate. Further in the past than 2010, I don't currently know as that data isn't easily accessible, but could look to get it, though I'd need more time to gather it. I just find it hard to imagine three other people, coming straight from MDT to here, and certifying as the old way was you used certain feeder facilities that consistently demonstrated success (Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville were the main ones in the southeastern US) and MDT wasn't considered a feeder facility for A80. A lot of people went to PIT (when they were a level 4= current level 11 equivalent) and have certified here. Maybe Shawn thinks that because those people may have had MDT on their resume, before PIT and before A80, that there is a correlation. I'd say no as PIT helped them be successful here, not MDT directly, and the agency and union currently have that same opinion which is why you have seen paid move bids to places with say "level 9 or higher radar experience."

Shawn was certified here. Shawn trained people here. If Shawn believes that you or someone else there could be successful here, then have him call this facility and vouch for you or that someone else.

Since 2010, Shawn is the only one to come straight from MDT and certify here. If you go somewhere else, after MDT, prior to coming here, that doesn't make the MDT background part of the determination for the reason you were successful and used to determine a potential success rate. Further in the past than 2010, I don't currently know as that data isn't easily accessible, but could look to get it, though I'd need more time to gather it. I just find it hard to imagine three other people, coming straight from MDT to here, and certifying as the old way was you used certain feeder facilities that consistently demonstrated success (Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville were the main ones in the southeastern US) and MDT wasn't considered a feeder facility for A80. A lot of people went to PIT (when they were a level 4= current level 11 equivalent) and have certified here. Maybe Shawn thinks that because those people may have had MDT on their resume, before PIT and before A80, that there is a correlation. I'd say no as PIT helped them be successful here, not MDT directly, and the agency and union currently have that same opinion which is why you have seen paid move bids to places with say "level 9 or higher radar experience."

Shawn was certified here. Shawn trained people here. If Shawn believes that you or someone else there could be successful here, then have him call this facility and vouch for you or that someone else.

I don't know the history either. He did do that for me and the another person that put in an ERR. That's why I visited and met with Tom, and he looked forward to bringing us in. Unfortunately our ATM didnt update our SWB, which is another topic all together, and this potential MOU for level 8 and above prevents us for making the move.

I get where you're coming from. It's not a bad argument except for one thing. I'm going to potentially get one move in my career, if that.

I personally would not mind a 8-10, in fact I had expected to make another stop on the way to my dream facility, a 12. But I also expected, based on what I was told by current controllers and my ATM, that I would have that chance.

That's not the reality of things right now. I have to fight with all of my coworkers to pick the 12 that's the highest priority, and hope enough people certify that we can get 1 release after 2 years of this process "working". That's barring nobody else quitting, or hardship, or leaving for DOD.

I get that it sucks for you guys to get and wash a bunch of people and never make any headway. It sucks for those of us that are at the lower levels who can't move at all. It sucks for everyone that we have a union that doesn't care one bit. Who exactly are they helping with NCEPT? What's the end game?
I get that man and this new process sucks because people are moving not because they're qualified to move, but because they're available. It's also forcing people to play roulette with their careers and have to take a gamble, to move to their dream location, before they've helped themselves get more experience that may significantly help them be successful. The worst feeling ever would be moving to your dream location, because you were able to be released not because you were ready, and roughly a year later, be packing your bags to move away from your dream location. THAT is what I'm trying to warn people about because you most likely will never get that second chance...

I don't know the history either. He did do that for me and the another person that put in an ERR. That's why I visited and met with Tom, and he looked forward to bringing us in. Unfortunately our ATM didnt update our SWB, which is another topic all together, and this potential MOU for level 8 and above prevents us for making the move.
Shawn can say MDT is 4 for 4, but as of 2010 he is the ONLY one to come directly from MDT and certify here. Tell him to tell you names of people who directly came here from MDT and that will make the search easier to verify or to tell him he's full of it. As previously stated, I'll look at the data, before 2010, and see if anyone else certified here, after transferring directly from MDT. I find it highly unlikely, but I will soon find out.

I get that man and this new process sucks because people are moving not because they're qualified to move, but because they're available. It's also forcing people to play roulette with their careers and have to take a gamble, to move to their dream location, before they've helped themselves get more experience that may significantly help them be successful. The worst feeling ever would be moving to your dream location, because you were able to be released not because you were ready, and roughly a year later, be packing your bags to move away from your dream location. THAT is what I'm trying to warn people about because you most likely will never get that second chance...
Also a valid argument. But with the inability to move easily what are people supposed to do? Settle for where they're at or somewhere else for the rest of their career and give up on their hopes? Plus then you get into the issue of the 8-10s being so low on the priority list you won't be able to get there. Which Natca also doesn't care about because "if you want to move, litter the top ten with ERRs, otherwise you're not trying hard enough"

And what's the new hire certification rate? Because the agency still sends new hires there. There one on the direct to facility list on KSN
I'm not going to state my opinion on recent or past certifications (I know you didn't ask, but I'm just saying that) as I've made it extremely clear I think it is a bad idea to send new hires to high level facilities especially without sending them to RTF and/or TSEW. From 2010 (easiest data to access) until 2016, 6/14 (42.8%) VRAs certified here. Before that, my understanding is that it was a MUCH lower success rate, but I'll have to access the data myself to verify. I'm just going off what people here have said. Since the end of 2016 number (didn't include anyone here still in training status), we're 3/5 (60.0%) on certifications and all of those certified in the last two months. Maybe it's because we have gotten a good batch of VRAs, maybe it's because we give them 60 hours of OJF per position, maybe it's because we increased their available training max hours by over 250%...

Also a valid argument. But with the inability to move easily what are people supposed to do? Settle for where they're at or somewhere else for the rest of their career and give up on their hopes? Plus then you get into the issue of the 8-10s being so low on the priority list you won't be able to get there. Which Natca also doesn't care about because "if you want to move, litter the top ten with ERRs, otherwise you're not trying hard enough"
It sucks. The agency hasn't hired enough bodies and national is more concerned about getting N90 and their hour long lunches and 45 minute breaks another financial incentive while screwing the rest of the BUEs at other facilities. I still think people should move up at a slower rate than going straight from a level 5-8 to a 12. That would require new hires being sent to 5-8s, having them certify over the next two years. Then, those people at the 5-8s could move to say the 9s-11s and certify over two years. Finally, those people at the 9s-12s could move and certify at the 11-12s over two years. Best case scenario: 4-5 years to staff the high level facilities. Realistically given the agency's inability to hire, I'd say we may get better in 4-5 years (never to the national average), but we will be significantly short staffed again in ten years.

@Robertb I'm surprised you're using total ops to assume level of difficulty. I'd think an A80 guy would understand not all facilities at the same level number are the same. I mean you guys are basically sequencing all your planes to a single airport where there are other 12s that have their numbers divided into multiple main airports making everyone's jobs easier. I'm sure there are other 12 Tracons that are just not anything even close to A80. I don't really know what I'm talking about but I've heard A90 is really complex. I know the same goes for other levels though. Not all 7 8 9s are created equal.

Back
Top Bottom