Staffing Telcon

@Robertb I'm surprised you're using total ops to assume level of difficulty. I'd think an A80 guy would understand not all facilities at the same level number are the same. I mean you guys are basically sequencing all your planes to a single airport where there are other 12s that have their numbers divided into multiple main airports making everyone's jobs easier. I'm sure there are other 12 Tracons that are just not anything even close to A80. I don't really know what I'm talking about but I've heard A90 is really complex. I know the same goes for other levels though. Not all 7 8 9s are created equal.
I just chose the first two airports on ATADS with my example to compare a 11 to a 12 as someone wanted to know why the cutoff would be at level 8 and not 7. However, the point I was trying to make is that even at a small difference between facility levels (in that case 11 vs 12) there is a significant difference in volume/complexity NOT strictly stating or assuming a facility's level of difficulty. Most of the level 6/7/8 VFR towers can understand that point. A90 has half their building doing nothing aka Manchester and the other half actually working aircraft aka Boston. Their volume/complexity are nothing close to their facility level especially if you're sitting on the Manchester side of the building. Here, volume will make or break you on the approach wall along with marginal conditions with parallel finals (some on ILS approaches and some on visuals); however, the complexity is higher on satellite than most people realize with 200K+ ops inside of 40 from ATL not landing ATL.

I get that all facilities are not created equal, but you have to make selections based on historical success rates to try and staff a building quickly. Yes, a guy could be certified at A90 (Manchester side), be a level 11 on paper, and couldn't certify at a level 8 or 9. Here, that guy would most likely be the roughly 36% of level 9s and higher who don't certify.

Bahahaha...that doesn't come close to guaranteeing a transfer. I know. I was selected for an flm spot at my previous facility. ATO denied the release. And then also denied the next 10ish spots I was selected for.

It's not necessarily that you are guaranteed to get selected, but more about just trying to beat out your coworkers for a "transfer". Might be the only way to beat your coworkers, since that's what this is all about. A competition not based on merit or ability.

Ideally, yes everyone should come from 10s, 11s and 12s when they want to go to A80, C90, D10, N90, etc. because those backgrounds show that you've been able to work a significant volume of traffic and/or complexity. Even then, the difference between some level 11s and 12s is staggering in regards to traffic volume (Example: A80 did 1.2M ops/903K to ATL as a level 12 in 2016 while A90 did 640K ops/409K to BOS as a level 11 in 2016). You should start at a 5-8, then move up to a 8-11, then move on to a 10-12. Your upward mobility will be faster (say level 8 to 11 to 12) based on ability where a slower learner might need to move multiple times to potentially become a level 12 controller (say level 5 to 8 to 10 to 12).

I'll look at the historical success rate (2010-present is most readily available on the weekends) and let you know what the difference in success rates are between level 7s and 8s.

What's a currently accepted better method than historical success rates?!? Unfortunately, this is Minority Report where we can already see whether someone is going to certify or not and not bring in the people who won't make it. The last report I saw, if you came from a level 8 or lower your success rate was less than 24% and if you came from a level 9 or higher it was 64%. THAT is a HUGE difference. Hell, under a thinking other than using historical success rates, we might as well never stop taking tower only controllers because there might, might be one to make it eventually and that one person might feel hurt because they weren't given the opportunity to go from a tower only to a level 12 tracon. Success depends on a lot of stuff (the individual and their drive to be successful is most important), but you have to bring in the people who have the best chance to certify, especially in a critical situation, because we can't just look at someone and know whether they are going to certify or not. If it was that easy, it would make staffing significantly better.

Your thinking too logically with this 'move up slowly' theory. I wish they had a system like this. I would go to an 8 for a few years, then to c90. But they continue to flood the mid levels with the previous experience people, so then those of us at low levels can't work our way there. So like someone else said, it forces us to take a chance at going straight to high levels facilities since we may only get 1 shot in our career. Also according to our NATCA higher ups, we are supposed to broaden our applications to get us out of our facility. Which is again, simply forcing people to apply to anywhere and everywhere to get out of their facility.

Hey Everyone I just wanted to share with everyone the responses I have received from Trish, I sent an email back in December, as well as last week and Trish responded both times.

Let me know what you all think...

Dear Paul & Trish,

I would like to take a minute of your time to voice many of my fellow co-workers and mine concerns to upper leadership regarding the current ERR process and the inability for proper staffing.

As you are aware under the old ERR system, after being selected by a new facility, the two facilities agree on a release date and the transfer would be completed. In smaller lower level facilities, these release dates would more often than not be upwards of two years. Under the old system there were challenges, like it being a "who you know system" and higher level facilities perceptions of low level facility staff members skill level.
Now we are presented with the new ERR process that is staffing the whole NAS. This new system has corrected some issues like sending new academy graduates to only low level (level 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8) facilities, allowing experienced new hires the flexibility to be placed in an appropriate mid to higher level facilities and providing shorter released times of six months to a year.

But with this change, it has created some severe short comings in the system. The largest being a grid locks in allowing for current employees to ERR to different facilities. As you are aware and the perception at a local facility was to hire employees to staff the lower level facility, and then once checked out, allowing for someone to move on to a higher level after the facility meets national average. The short fall has come with not enough staffing being sent to the low level facility to be trained, in a timely manner, and the unreasonable expectation of the national average staffing level, both which is holding up any forward movement of the employees.

It has been the experience at our current facility that new employees are being checked out in about two years and due to the reality of not being able to ERR to a higher level facilities in a timely manner, it is fueling them to leave for a DOD position or abusing the Hardship Program to move to a more desirable or higher level facility. This leaves the employees that trained the new employee stuck at the low level facility with no reasonable chance to move to a higher level facility due to inadequate staffing and poor influx of new employees.

While we understand that there would some growing pains into this new ERR process, the new ERR is impeding current employees from moving forward in their career. As time goes on without any aggressive communication plan with current staff on the progress on fixing the ERR process, the FAA will continue to lose many more employees to DOD or to other job and career opportunities.

I would like to thank you for your time and hoping to hear from you soon regarding how, specify, the Leadership plans fix the staff issues to allow upward movement within our NAS.

FAA employees ~

start of email

I have added your RVP and the address I have for your facrep which seems to be different from the one you cced in your email.

You have captured some of the issues with the old ERR system which in fact was not a system or process at all. You have also captured some of the positives in the current ERR process. You state the shortfall being that not enough staffing is being sent to the low level facilities to be trained. That in fact is a problem because the FAA has not hired adequately for quite sometime. We are at a 27 year low of CPCs in the system and the FAA (up until this current year) had not met their hiring target. The only reason they met and exceeded it this year is due to congressional (two hearings), media and the DOT level pressure we put on them to staff the workforce properly. It will be another year before we even start to come close to even keeping up with retirements.

The growing pains are not really due to the new ERR process but rather the historically low staffing in the system. Unfortunately they have coincidentally happened about the same time. If we had not implemented a process (which by the way in its one year is poised to move more people than the old one) then everybody would have continued to be held two years at all facilities and been leap frogged by Academy grads into the mid and high level facilities.

With that said, we are constantly working with the FAA to address the process. One of the main goals, is to both easily and transparently, allow those that want to, to move through the system. Andrew, your RVP is on the NCEPT (the group that works the process) and can answer some of the areas being discussed to accomplish that goal.

I did look up MLU and see that it is at just over 80% Target/CPC with 7 in training and in two years forecasted to be at 91.8%. Comparing that to many other facilities people do have an opportunity to move out albeit not all at the same time. Now I get that people resigning mess that up but there isn't a thing we can do about that. They are giving up a great career as an FAA controller when they do that. As far as hardship abuse, Andrew will have to take that one as hardships are all done on a regional level. We have people that game many processes/programs (Old ERR, Hardship-which is pretty hard to do, Flight Deck Training, Credit hours) which as you stated was part of the problem with the old one. Unfortunately, when our members game the system, regardless of which one it is, they hurt us the next time we have to negotiate something on their behalf that can help them.

Have a save, happy and healthy new year,

Trish

Good Afternoon Ms. Gilbert,

During this confusing times and "toddler years" of the new ERR process, I wanted to reach out to you to get some clarification and ask some difficult questions. I recently heard there was many issues on the staffing TELCON back on August 23, 2017. I didn't have the opportunity to sit in on the TELCON. Sadly, I was told that none of our NATCA Representatives were able to be a part of the TELCON either. Many employees throughout the agency are talking and aren't happy with what was stated by the NATCA higher ups, so I was wishing to inquire and ask for clarification on what transpired during this event.
I would like to provide a few examples, the following that is rumored to happen but are not word for word:
"The agency never promised career progression".
"Level 7 and below employees, you all might just want to strap in and get comfortable and just accept being at a low facility for the near future, if not your career".
“If you are that desperate to progress go to N90 or C90.”
"Come to Washington D.C. for the NATCA convention to state our opinions"

I would like to offer some thoughts on these above "rumored" states, if they are true.
If our union, NATCA, is unwilling to fight for its general membership, to say the least about a vote on major changes that affect the larger general membership / workforce, how does NTACA expect to keep the general membership behind the union? This new MOU/ERR process, to this point has been detrimental to the MAJORITY of the general membership and their progression in their careers. The process was supposed to be impartial and fair, but yet the local managers are still grading or ranking the list of potential transfers.
How can the union expect the general membership to support (pay dues) to NATCA if it does not listen to its general membership and support processes and plans that are unproven to be successful ( US airspace privatization; please see current UK airspace issues and pit fall post privatization) and stagnant career progression (current MOU for the ERR process)?
If the union truly feels that if a controller's only option to progress should be a direct transfer to N90 or C90, then extensive and exhaustive look should be placed not only on those facilities themselves (high training failure rate and why would an employee would want to transfer to facility that they would never be able to transfer out of), but why most people want to move back to their home states and families.
During this TELCON, it was stated to come to Washington D.C. for the NATCA convention to state our opinions. My question is how can we do that if we are at a low level facility were staffing doesn't permit? Also how can we come to the convention if an employee doesn't have the money for all the expenses? We as American citizens don't have to come to D.C. to voice our opinions when a political election and or things need to be voted on. Why should this be any different?
With the current staffing issues, it appears NATCA only cares and fights for their higher level facility members. Why is NATCA not pushing to have ALL new employees placed at a Level 7 or lower and then allow those Level 7 and below move to a higher level facilities?
It was also brought up in the TELCON that employees in low level facilities aren't happy and there isn't any movement so employees are left with no choice but to hardship and or quit to go work for the DOD or contract facilities. It was stated in response that the agency will deal with its loss's and will just hire new employees. So that tells me that we are just pawns on a chess board and can be replaced at any time.
While I understand that most of this may feel that I am just venting, I need for you to understand that MLU and the current state of the general membership is in great distress.
MLU is currently 205 on the list to get more people. We have an average of 15 CPC's. We currently have 9 CPC's with 7 Developmental. That totals 16 CPC's that will be certified in the future in about 1.75 years. We need at least 12 CPC's to even be considered to let an employee go. Which to get to 12 CPC's we need 4 more to certify. No telling how long that will take. At the moment we have 2 people threatening to hardship (on top of the 3 that have already hard shipped in addition we have lost 1 due to going back to the DOD in the last 18 months) if things don't change and we have 2 people waiting to apply to A80 bid when it comes out. Furthermore, they wouldn't even be considered because there will probably be a level stipulation like usual. As this is all speculation that would put us at 12 CPC's which is still below the national average and we wouldn't be able to let anyone go. If those people stay it will only be one in and one out movement, "if we get to see that day". I currently have been here for 5 years applying to facilities under the old process and now under the new process with no light at the end of the tunnel for progressing in my career and or in my fellow NATCA brothers and sisters careers. Also there is no light for anyone in MLU because we are not slated to be getting any new people. Also out of the 16 employees here in MLU only 4 CPC's and 3 Management have self-identified that they want to stay here at this facility. Everyone else wants to progress and go home to their home states. What is NATCA's plan to help its members and other low level facilities in this horrible situation?
Thank you for your time and I look forward to your written response to the above rumors and how NATCA is going to ensure that its general membership is able to and willing to continue its support the union.

start of email

Sorry you couldn’t make the telcon. We are looking to schedule another call as well as a webinar on the NCEPT process. We were very clear that while the process is being tweaked as we continue to try and improve that the reason people are not moving as quickly as they can is because the staffing nationwide is so bad. We only have 10595 CPCs and should have just over 13000. The FAA does not agree with that and we continue to be at impasse on what the number should be. With that said, the FAA has reached their hiring goal only two years out of the last 10 years with nobody getting hired in 2013. In 2014 they changed the hiring process which contributed to their inability to meet their goal many years in a row. The timing of putting in an ERR process, where one really did not exist, unfortunately coincided with the worst staffing we have ever had. We are at a 28 year low of CPCs.

As far as your quotes:

1) Not what was said however there was a conversation about the definition of an ERR (Employee Requested Reassignment) meaning that it is just that. A request. Except now with NCEPT it is not arbitrary and can’t be denied for no reason, like in the past. Now there is a very transparent process and three times the movement than we have saw before it was in place.

2) Not said or anything like that.

3) It was said that priority releases exist for some of the critically harder to staff facilities. That point was made when somebody asked why they were not approved and somebody else was released.

4) We explained how to introduce resolutions for the convention body to consider, debate and vote on. Convention sets the course of the union for the next two years. With regard to things like this which we have to either collaborate (usually nonnegotiable) or negotiate with the FAA then we get a sense of direction we should take with the FAA as we are not in full control of the decision. The convention is in April in Philadelphia not DC.

Ranking employees is a statutory management’s right. Not something we can ever change.

The convention delegates twice voted on the strategy on supporting the AIRR Act. Prior to both conventions every member was mailed the proposals on it. Members voice their concerns to their delegates before they attend the convention. The delegates debate, amend and vote on any proposals. That is what occurred. We agree the UK model is a giant mistake. The UK model is profit driven and nothing like the non-profit as outlined in the AIRR Act.

We do not believe the ERR process is a failure. In fact many more CPCs have been moved in the 18 months it has been in existence. Much more than the previous 3 years where there lacked a process. Again movement is slower than most would like due to the significance of the lack of staffing in the system. Exasperating the situation with regard to CPCs wanting to move is the way the FAA places out of the Academy. If at least they would let individuals pick facilities in one of the nine legacy regions or at least one of the three service areas instead of nationwide placement then we would have individuals in areas of the country they want to be in. This is something we continue to push the FAA to change.

“If the union truly feels that if a controller’s only option to progress should be a direct transfer to N90 or C90, then extensive and exhaustive look should be placed not only on those facilities themselves (high training failure rate and why would an employee would want to transfer to facility that they would never be able to transfer out of), but why most people want to move back to their home states and families.” This is not even close to what was said. BTW, we have finally gotten the FAA to look at and improve training at the Academy (modified RTF, modified TSEW and a new assessment for 10, 11 and 12 facilities called TETRA - Ten, eleven, twelve radar assessment). Additionally we are validating Human Factors training in four of the large TRACONS. If successful, we intend to continue to push the FAA to implement it at the large TRACONS in hopes that it will improve the success rate there.

NATCA is trying very hard to get the system staffed. We have held two staffing hearings before Congress on the issue as the FAA doesn’t necessarily think they are understaffed. We changed the law last year to allow a more expeditious hiring process with CTI grads and military vets skipping the BQ. Also allowing experienced CPCs to come in up to the age of 35 instead of aging out at 31. We continue to also publicize the shortages with Congress and the media. Things would only get worse if some of the proposed cuts to retirements become law. If that happens we wouldn't be able to staff the system and likely we would see many lower level facilities contracted or closed. While that would push those members into higher level facilities it would be a devastating thing to do to the system and the profession.

I understand you and many members are frustrated with the staffing situation. We absolutely are as well.

Trish

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing. I hope they are able to implement the 9 region placement at the academy. It's definitely a step in the right direction. That's one of the main issues now. People at the academy are being forced to areas they have no desire to go to then right when they certify, they bid out. If you can get people close to their hometowns, it would help with retention.

Thank you for sharing. I hope they are able to implement the 9 region placement at the academy. It's definitely a step in the right direction. That's one of the main issues now. People at the academy are being forced to areas they have no desire to go to then right when they certify, they bid out. If you can get people close to their hometowns, it would help with retention.
I never understood why they changed the application process. It was awesome to know at least what states you were going to go to. The randomness of the facilities offered to academy grads that changes every month would make the academy super stressful.

True but the problem is that there are people already in facilities that they dont want to be in and they want to get to a location they want to be in but we cant get out because of staffing ;(

True but the problem is that there are people already in facilities that they dont want to be in and they want to get to a location they want to be in but we cant get out because of staffing ;(
Believe me, I know, especially with where you're currently at. My heart goes out to you guys. Your facility has gotten the shaft between hardships/quiting.
The odds of someone from Monroe getting MLU out of the academy are microscopic. If people from Louisiana have a chance to get there out of the academy, at least there is some kind of hope of retaining them and not having to compete with them immediately when they certify.

Ugh you're at Monroe? I dated a chick who was from Monroe. I'd quit too.

As far as I'm concerned, at least 2 of your recent hardship transfers have been blatantly abuse of the hardship process. It's been almost a year and one of them is still training in the tower

As far as I'm concerned, at least 2 of your recent hardship transfers have been blatantly abuse of the hardship process. It's been almost a year and one of them is still training in the tower

We here feel all 3 hardships were BS... and they should have never been approved. And the reason that one person is still training in the tower is because he cant show up to work to save their life and is on the FMLA LEAVE!!!!!! 100% of the time. But NATCA is there to protect him and all of the good employees get the short end of the stick

We here feel all 3 hardships were BS... and they should have never been approved. And the reason that one person is still training in the tower is because he cant show up to work to save their life and is on the FMLA LEAVE!!!!!! 100% of the time. But NATCA is there to protect him and all of the good employees get the short end of the stick
It's easy to judge from the outside. I personally think the hardships from your place are particularly thin. Its not as easy as you would think to get a hardship approved, and they were incredibly lucky.

Ya, bad situation all around. We herd the story from back when he was DoD as well. It's a small world; you can't keep skeletons locked away forever.

The telcon was horseshit!!! The way that the highest ups talked to us was disgusting. Yes, they said you were never guaranteed a transfer. Yes, they suggested that if you simply want out of your facility you should broaden where you want to go. They deflect everything, and blame the FAA for the staffing crisis. The good thing about the old system was hope. Also, I don't believe that there are more transfers happening. Plus, like mlu, my facility is stuck in a shitty situation. Maybe a little less, but still pretty bad. And we're also not slated for new hires. We will get everyone certified, let 3 go, then have no one in the pipeline, so here comes the year and a half wait to get new people in the door and certified. Sup job it is. I'm also working on a degree, and have nothing particular holding me back from going general population or another government job, simply so I can move back home. There's plenty of opportunity out there, especially with a degree. It's sad that natca has to force stuff down our throats. If we don't like it, they should listen, and get rid of it. That's why we pay them. To listen to us.

My question to you is what did you expect when you applied. Did you get one of your choices? If so why are you complaining you knew what facilities were in that state. Some people are even close to home friends or family. I understand the grip about the ncept I know it sucks, but if your not happy then quit. I'm pretty sure some one is out there ready to replace you. I guess that would be one way to get a new hire in the building.

My question to you is what did you expect when you applied. Did you get one of your choices? If so why are you complaining you knew what facilities were in that state. Some people are even close to home friends or family. I understand the grip about the ncept I know it sucks, but if your not happy then quit. I'm pretty sure some one is out there ready to replace you. I guess that would be one way to get a new hire in the building.
Or you could just drop the union and then you have no one to complain to.

The telcon was horseshit!!! The way that the highest ups talked to us was disgusting. Yes, they said you were never guaranteed a transfer. Yes, they suggested that if you simply want out of your facility you should broaden where you want to go. They deflect everything, and blame the FAA for the staffing crisis. The good thing about the old system was hope. Also, I don't believe that there are more transfers happening. Plus, like mlu, my facility is stuck in a shitty situation. Maybe a little less, but still pretty bad. And we're also not slated for new hires. We will get everyone certified, let 3 go, then have no one in the pipeline, so here comes the year and a half wait to get new people in the door and certified. Sup job it is. I'm also working on a degree, and have nothing particular holding me back from going general population or another government job, simply so I can move back home. There's plenty of opportunity out there, especially with a degree. It's sad that natca has to force stuff down our throats. If we don't like it, they should listen, and get rid of it. That's why we pay them. To listen to us.

If you've got a degree in a good field and are stuck somewhere shitty then leave 100%. I bailed and my quality of life is worlds better than what it was. Also any of you guys stuck at low level towers still paying dues are total uncle toms. You're being fucked by natca stop giving them cash

Uh when lots of us applied/got hired the ability to ERR was fairly easy. Sure you might have to wait a few years for a release date, but you could move. I *probably* wouldn't have accepted my current facility if I knew I'd be stuck here for life, but that wasn't the case when I did accept it. Also we didn't get a choice on what facility. When I applied you picked 2 states and hoped somewhere in those states needed someone.

Back
Top Bottom