May (Q3) 2024

I'm amused that so many people are so willing to talk out of both sides of their mouth. How can you complain about six day work weeks and staffing and also say you want everyone to be able to transfer to their dream facility? Every time someone transfers that lowers staffing for at least a year... you can either let more people go to where they desire or work less six day work weeks... you can't have both.

Let's not pretend the FAA is actually going to do anything to help staffing. Nothing will change in the remainder of my career. People will still complain about initial placement. People will still complain about being able to transfer. People will still complain about working overtime. I honestly believe if you left it up to the FAA there would be no transferring. That's their solution

I transferred from an 11 where we were hour on hour off and sometimes would get 2 hours off. I’m now at my dream facility with mandatory OT. I’ll take this any day. Even with OT, I’m still able to see family on a regular basis versus having to fly across the country with little kids so they can see their grandparents.

I'm amused that so many people are so willing to talk out of both sides of their mouth. How can you complain about six day work weeks and staffing and also say you want everyone to be able to transfer to their dream facility? Every time someone transfers that lowers staffing for at least a year... you can either let more people go to where they desire or work less six day work weeks... you can't have both.

Let's not pretend the FAA is actually going to do anything to help staffing. Nothing will change in the remainder of my career. People will still complain about initial placement. People will still complain about being able to transfer. People will still complain about working overtime. I honestly believe if you left it up to the FAA there would be no transferring. That's their solution.
Some people care about different things obviously. OT, take it or leave it I don’t care, I just want to be close to home. 1 vs 2 day weekends don’t matter when all of your family is half a country away.

Does the most recent performance plan have to be signed and completed all of the way? I got certified at my first facility in like 3 months and my first performance plan isn’t completed. Do I just attach what I have?

Let's not pretend the FAA is actually going to do anything to help staffing. Nothing will change in the remainder of my career. People will still complain about initial placement. People will still complain about being able to transfer. People will still complain about working overtime. I honestly believe if you left it up to the FAA there would be no transferring. That's their solution.
You’re right, however staffing has never been as bad as it is now… so there’s that.

Looking for some insight. I know the ATM is responsible for the staffing numbers being updated for SWB to reflect in the PPT.

Do the ATMs have any power over other numbers? Our projected retirements and other losses is over 1 and we have no one in the building within 7 years of eligibility let alone mandatory retirement.

Then our training success rate dropped by just a hair to not allow for a loss on this next panel when we’ve got 2 more trainees inbound.

Because of our low staffing number, tenths of a point in the above mentioned categories reflect much larger in our total percentages.

Maybe Im giving my new and unseasoned ATM too much credit but it seems fishy.

Looking for some insight. I know the ATM is responsible for the staffing numbers being updated for SWB to reflect in the PPT.

Do the ATMs have any power over other numbers? Our projected retirements and other losses is over 1 and we have no one in the building within 7 years of eligibility let alone mandatory retirement.

Then our training success rate dropped by just a hair to not allow for a loss on this next panel when we’ve got 2 more trainees inbound.

Because of our low staffing number, tenths of a point in the above mentioned categories reflect much larger in our total percentages.

Maybe Im giving my new and unseasoned ATM too much credit but it seems fishy.
No, the ATM doesn't control those numbers. And projected losses is a formula accounting for things beyond retirement. It could be death, quitting, transferring agencies etc.

Training success rate is determined based on a sliding window that updates annually. I think the current cycle is 2015-2020 but your NCEPT rep would know better than me.

Does anyone have the most recent PPT?
It’s on KSN and NATCA website should have it

Every facility should release one per quarter no matter what the staffing. If the place is short staffed then they better figure out how to get more than one per quarter inbound.
They should look into lowering to 80% or something else creative. We’re all shit staffed already what are they afraid of, being more in the shittah?

The worst part, the Facility of Preference article only gives us “Priority Consideration” after 8 years and only for ingrade/downgrade.

Level 10-12 facilities get “Priority Placement” after 15 years for ingrade/downgrade but basically means “anywhere you’d like to go.” This shit needs fixed BAD, I’d wait 15 years in the worst staffing if I know there was light at the end of the tunnel that lead to my dream facility. Make it the same wait time and priority rights as the high levels and get rid of the “ingrade/downgrade” bullshit allowing up to a three level facility upgrade pursuant to hardships.

Don’t get me wrong, paying due respect to both aforementioned articles, 15 years is a long time at ANY undesired facility, but Priority Placement rights after 15 years for everyone and a +3 facility level allowance would be way better than what we have now, shits an absolute joke for lows/mids!
Welllllll I’d bet my union dues that the slate book will get extended to 2029

Ten years is ridiculous, Rich’s ass needs voted out and when the contract is up, we need to have NCEPT renegotiated because it’s designed for a staffing situation that we won’t see for years to come. And this, my dear friends is not it.
Excellent point, NCEPT is designed for a NAS with healthy staffing. They need to lower their percentage requirements if they want to fill the higher level facilities

That is absolutely their solution. And one of the recommended solutions from the Safety Review Team or whatever that was signed by our very own Trish!

This is why I think it's dumb when people try to shit on Rich for saying to Congress that the transfer system is fine during a hearing about staffing. The fix for NCEPT as it relates to staffing is to stop transfers.
Rich should be arguing that the Agency needs 4-5,000 more CPCs now. The transfer process is broken because of the union coming up with and agreeing to NCEPT. The fix is to hire more controllers, allow controller movements after say 5 years of CPC and thus force the Agency to have more controllers. There is ZERO reason people shouldn’t be able to get a release, wait in a queue of say a release every six months, and move, if there is an opening.

Back
Top Bottom