Future Staffing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 8627
Natca and the FAA at least pretending they hear your gripes and are doing something about them
I’m just gonna say this once for the newbies in the back. The FAA will NEVER staff this agency to where ncept works correctly. It never has been staffed correctly and it never will. No matter how many times the union tells you that’s not true. They will always say “it will take a few years but….” And that’s the kicker.

Except NATCA is helping the FAA with their staffing problems at the expense of the controllers. NCEPT is helping the FAA not the controllers. NATCA is failing us. NATCA should be doing nothing to help, and let it burn to the ground, then point to the dumpster fire and say we told you so. They can then go on a PR campaign when the airlines and public are clamoring for a solution.
‘I told you so’ gets you no where. No union is going to let the house burn down when it’s their people inside.
There’s been many public statements on the staffing problems.
The only solution is massive amounts of money to accomplish unprecedented hiring and training.
This is what NiW was about.

Yeah I’m just curious if they’ll ramp up the class rate in the next 5 years to prepare. Most of the problems people have with the agency right now is due to staffing (NCEPT, leave, 6 day work weeks, etc.). If they just hired more damn people the job would be so much better.

Makes you wonder if the staffing issues are by design

Make the system understaffed and underfunded purposefully, make it run like shit so people demand privatization :)

I’m just gonna say this once for the newbies in the back. The FAA will NEVER staff this agency to where ncept works correctly. It never has been staffed correctly and it never will. No matter how many times the union tells you that’s not true. They will always say “it will take a few years but….” And that’s the kicker.
This is true, staffing has always fell short but now it’s past a tipping point as the hiring process and efficiency got worse, and retention for younger controllers is a lot worse.

This also comes at a time where only about 10% of the workforce can retire as everyone else was generally hired in 2007 or later. Wait 8-10 years when you have 30% more of the 2152’s retirement eligible again, and ready to go if they have been on 6 days weeks for most of those 8-10 years.

As FAA Reauthorization references, the only way to fix it is to do something like build a second Academy and at least double hiring.

But that would still lead to training backlogs at the facilities and if anyone thinks they will actually get a second academy built they are nuts.

They might be just trying to run the clock out until computers can take over most of it. Sounds insane but their actions not their words seems to suggest it as there have been no meaningful improvements in hiring or transferring since they banned the BQ for experienced applicants.

This is true, staffing has always fell short but now it’s past a tipping point as the hiring process and efficiency got worse, and retention for younger controllers is a lot worse.

This also comes at a time where only about 10% of the workforce can retire as everyone else was generally hired in 2007 or later. Wait 8-10 years when you have 30% more of the 2152’s retirement eligible again, and ready to go if they have been on 6 days weeks for most of those 8-10 years.

As FAA Reauthorization references, the only way to fix it is to do something like build a second Academy and at least double hiring.

But that would still lead to training backlogs at the facilities and if anyone thinks they will actually get a second academy built they are nuts.

They might be just trying to run the clock out until computers can take over most of it. Sounds insane but their actions not their words seems to suggest it as there have been no meaningful improvements in hiring or transferring since they banned the BQ for experienced applicants.
Bro they haven’t even fully rolled our ERAM. I don’t think computers are taking over anytime soon. They need just get rid of the academy and use all the labs that just sit empty 16 hours per day. Change hiring to direct to facility.

I think the FAA is in for a shock that the newer generations of controllers may retire earlier. I know quite a few gen x people are retiring within the 1st year eligible.

They won’t be able to throw enough money at some people to stick around. Unless you did the high 3 as my gross salary. Then maybe. Maybe.

I think the FAA is in for a shock that the newer generations of controllers may retire earlier. I know quite a few gen x people are retiring within the 1st year eligible.

They won’t be able to throw enough money at some people to stick around. Unless you did the high 3 as my gross salary. Then maybe. Maybe.
It’s easy to say youre going to retire first year eligible or when that’s 20 years from now.

It’s easy to say youre going to retire first year eligible or when that’s 20 years from now.
It’s true. GAO says 80% retire within the first year they are eligible and the faa staffing projections are bunk bc the faa numbers assume the opposite

I feel if they don’t give a huge pay raise you’re going see not only the applications dry up but you’re going to see less movement to high cost of living areas. Which is almost every 10+. The pay raises just are not keeping up with inflation.
Applications aren’t going to dry up. Half the cpcs at my facility went to CTI school. And its not like they had a fallback. They can hardly read or solve simple algebra.

Our job has a lot of problems, but the kids dominating the drive thru at CFA/In N Out are still going to apply and chose ATC

Simple math and once eligible driving to work 20 days a month is just simply not worth it anymore.
20 days a month. That’s fat staffing.

Every time this thread updates some fatcat is doing the numbers. It's always the bare minimum to get the most out of you. Why have you do 1 on 1 off when 1.5 on and 30 off costs the same. It won't get better until we stop combining positions for breaks. How dumb do you look in a schedule negotiation when a random day pulled has people on break for 5 hours? The system is designed to prevent transfers and we agreed to it BTW. Training costs money and the agency loses.

Now the severely understaffed facilities are in a real bind-people are burned out and then asked to train, trainees are burned out before they are even checked out.

Office of Inspector General did a report last month on our staffing. Read through it and then the very last document is the FAA’s lousy response. They truly feel like they are hiring correctly. And instead of addressing how they will take steps to fix the staffing they chose to address the new ATOMS system and how (you guessed it) they will track controller timekeeping and various work assignment. Disaster.

From the article, “but it’s not as if the FAA has not been staffing up. “They’ve hired a tremendous amount of people,” says Kathleen Bangs, a former commercial pilot and current spokesperson at FlightAware. “I think they hired 1,500 new controllers a year ago.”

Santa is quoted in this one..

You know what's so weird is that I was told we couldn't privatize because they would cut corners to save money and risk safety. But here we are, with the government running the show and they're holding out and trying to save a few bucks. Meanwhile the debt ceiling is suspended and government spending is out of control in almost every aspect. The federal budget deficit for this fiscal year through the end of June is already $1.39 Trillion with a T. We still have 3 full months of deficit spending to go. This is during a time in which the economy is supposedly booming and the pandemic is over. The entire budget for Air Traffic Services for FY2023 is $4.6 Billion. That's for all the AJT salaries, expenses, and other program costs. Tech Ops, System Ops, Program Management (AJM), Mission Support Services, etc... are all additional budget items. So why on Earth are we constricted by the budget when you're telling me for a measly $2 billion, we could hire 50% more people and be tripping all over one another? That's literal chump change considering we send another billion to Ukraine every week. It would add like 0.2% to the annual budget deficit.

We have the government calling the shots now and they have an unlimited money printer filled with blank checks and yet we're still only staffed at 83.6% projected nationally and getting worse. I find it hard to believe a privatized ATC entity that had some control over it's funding would do any worse of a job than the bureaucrats are currently doing.

Last edited:
You know what's so weird is that I was told we couldn't privatize because they would cut corners to save money and risk safety. But here we are, with the government running the show and they're holding out and trying to save a few bucks. Meanwhile the debt ceiling is suspended and government spending is out of control in almost every aspect. The federal budget deficit for this fiscal year through the end of June is already $1.39 Trillion with a T. We still have 3 full months of deficit spending to go. This is during a time in which the economy is supposedly booming and the pandemic is over. The entire budget for Air Traffic Services for FY2023 is $4.6 Billion. That's for all the AJT salaries, expenses, and other program costs. Tech Ops, System Ops, Program Management (AJM), Mission Support Services, etc... are all additional budget items. So why on Earth are we constricted by the budget when you're telling me for a measly $2 billion, we could hire 50% more people and be tripping all over one another? That's literal chump change considering we send another billion to Ukraine every week. It would add like 1% to the annual budget deficit.

We have the government calling the shots now and they have an unlimited money printer filled with blank checks and yet we're still only staffed at 83.6% projected nationally and getting worse. I find it hard to believe a privatized ATC entity that had some control over it's funding would do any worse of a job than the bureaucrats are currently doing.
We have a huge deficit cus of trumps stupid tax handout. But that budget ceiling deal doesn’t mean anything. Any new budget would just override it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom