Future Staffing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to look into a few other options: DoD ATC gigs and other FAA Jobs. Just two days ago I got a TOL for another FAA job, sure it’s not “good time” but it has some decent prospects depending on if I want to stay in the keys or not. Match my pay, Monday-Friday, two days a pay period in the office and rest telework, hurt me more daddy FAA.
Those jobs have become extremely competitive and subject to being released from your facility. So it’s not as if a bunch of people at red facilities aren’t trying, they just can’t even get the position.

Those jobs have become extremely competitive and subject to being released from your facility. So it’s not as if a bunch of people at red facilities aren’t trying, they just can’t even get the position.
Forgive me, why are they subject to the ERR process? I know of one personal friend that is going through this and it does not make sense.

Even the DoD controller gigs are extremely competitive. Have to rely on at least some sort of nepotism to get in. Either that or the job was posted with a body already in line for it and it’s just a formality.

If it is who I think it is, I am shocked I tell you, shocked. Must also be the same person that used receiving your physical CTO as a reenlistment incentive.
CO… he checked in as a 1st class and left as a senior. Not sure he was there when you got there though. He called me and my best friend into his office at the same time and told him his extension was approved and mine was denied and to pick orders (later begged me to extend). I also had 6 months less on my contract than my buddy. Such is life

If it is who I think it is, I am shocked I tell you, shocked. Must also be the same person that used receiving your physical CTO as a reenlistment incentive.
I've always heard most Navy facs are like that. As an Air Force puke, I relish in being able to get radar and CTO with a little brown nosing.

Last edited:
I've always heard most Navy facs are like that. As in Air Force puke, I relish in being able to get radar and CTO with a little brown nosing.
Dude… Navy’s a crock of shit. All NATOPs bureaucracy. “If you’re an e4 or below you only get up to these quals” “e5 you get one branch position” “e6 and above get both branches”. And this is despite working six day weeks because of a lack of qualified bodies 🤡 I was there for 4 years, finished with my required qualifications my first six months and begged, quite literally, for my CTO for the next 2 1/2 years before they finally allowed me to train LC. So I envy you air force guys.

Dude… Navy’s a crock of shit. All NATOPs bureaucracy. “If you’re an e4 or below you only get up to these quals” “e5 you get one branch position” “e6 and above get both branches”. And this is despite working six day weeks because of a lack of qualified bodies 🤡 I was there for 4 years, finished with my required qualifications my first six months and begged, quite literally, for my CTO for the next 2 1/2 years before they finally allowed me to train LC. So I envy you air force guys.
That’s actually wild, I was able to get dual rated at my facility in the Air Force and all I had said was “I am not sure if I am getting out yet”.
The Navy seemed like a rough experience for some of you.

That’s exactly what the agency does.

You signed up for a job, said you would go anywhere and the first thing you do is say you can’t live where it’s cold. Seems like you are pretty entitled

So what did you claim? Your dry skin was acting up? Your arthritis was bad? You pulled your taint?
“Workers wanting to choose where they live is so entitled!!! You should be happy you have a job at all!! I am also very pro-union btw!!!” -ad1234

You have gone from salty NCEPT lover to full-on ableist piece of shit. Congrats.

Last edited:
View attachment 8627
Natca and the FAA at least pretending they hear your gripes and are doing something about them
Give it about 2-3 years before they even THINK about something about it 🙄

And that's a generous estimate... Like the CRWG numbers and increase in staffing being implemented "soon"🙄

Give it about 2-3 years before they even THINK about something about it 🙄

And that's a generous estimate... Like the CRWG numbers and increase in staffing being implemented "soon"🙄

NATCA managed to get the surveys sent out and every facility ATM and facrep replied. The hold up is when the acting FAA Director, Billy Nolen wouldn't pass it. Now he's gone so we'll see if the new person does anything. Also doesn't help that Congress wouldn't spend more money on the FAA.

NATCA managed to get the surveys sent out and every facility ATM and facrep replied. The hold up is when the acting FAA Director, Billy Nolen wouldn't pass it. Now he's gone so we'll see if the new person does anything. Also doesn't help that Congress wouldn't spend more money on the FAA.
FYI not blaming NATCA on that one at all.... The blame is squarely on the FAA... The hiring too is on the FAA too. The way they have been doing it the last few years is ridiculous.

FYI not blaming NATCA on that one at all.... The blame is squarely on the FAA... The hiring too is on the FAA too. The way they have been doing it the last few years is ridiculous.
Except NATCA is helping the FAA with their staffing problems at the expense of the controllers. NCEPT is helping the FAA not the controllers. NATCA is failing us. NATCA should be doing nothing to help, and let it burn to the ground, then point to the dumpster fire and say we told you so. They can then go on a PR campaign when the airlines and public are clamoring for a solution. The only solution is massive amounts of money to accomplish unprecedented hiring and training.

Except NATCA is helping the FAA with their staffing problems at the expense of the controllers. NCEPT is helping the FAA not the controllers. NATCA is failing us. NATCA should be doing nothing to help, and let it burn to the ground, then point to the dumpster fire and say we told you so. They can then go on a PR campaign when the airlines and public are clamoring for a solution. The only solution is massive amounts of money to accomplish unprecedented hiring and training.
I know controllers love to complain about everything, but some things cancel each other out. Staffing and transfers don't directly compete (some facilities need lower level feeders), but for the most part you can't bitch about being low staffed and bitch about not being able to transfer at the same time. One of those issues is expendable in the FAA's eyes. The choice is going to be between NCEPT or no transfers at all. It's not going back the other way.

They can then go on a PR campaign when the airlines and public are clamoring for a solution. The only solution is massive amounts of money to accomplish unprecedented hiring and training.
They have. It's been in the news. You're just turning a blind eye to it. NATCA was calling out the FAA the other week when United said "the FAA failed us".

Also, NCEPT sucks and I do think NATCA has screwed up agreeing to it. But when it started it wasn't a terrible idea. It was basically the old way with guaranteed releases. There is no magic way to fix it at this point nor was there before. VFR Towers certify faster than Centers and Tracons. Thats just the way it is. Those VFR Towers are going to beat out a lot of facilities and get to where they want to go and boost the staffing and make it harder for anyone else to get there. I'd like to know the proposed "fix" for that without penalizing progression for the VFR Tower people too without saying "change hiring" because NCEPT has nothing to do with hiring. The other complaint people toss around is hardships, except hardships are getting people from the Centers and Tracons to where they want to be.

I'm a big fan of putting the time in as CPC that it took you to certify. But a lot of people want what they want now and dont give a shit.

Off topic though, funny how United blames the FAA yet every other airline dealt with the bad SWAP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom