Denying leave for the NTI

If there is anyone that has a denied leave request higher in the queue or if someone is on OT for that shift….then a trainee can fuck off with their spot leave request. That trainee could have worked a staffing day to accommodate those requests or given someone a full weekend. If people are at work to accommodate training then a trainee putting in a leave request shouldn’t be automatically approved. If there are no denied requests and nobody on OT, then bye.

What's your experience? Were you a manager in the FAA or were you a union rep, possibility a RVP or higher in the union? I would just like to know what you are basing your answer on.

Additionally are you retired, because if you are and you are still lurking ATC forums you need a hobby bud.

If that line in the contract "literally means nothing" then why include it? Why have the contract at all if management and pick and choose what to follow and when to follow it?
My experience is I was fxcked on this and so was my facility multiple times. I'm DOD now we get leave approved pretty much whenever we want. The contract is poorly written, in certain cases. This is one of them. You have the illusion of an argument or grievance, but nah not really. I just explained to you that they can deny your leave under non conditional circumstances and how they DO (deny) it. It's happened to us many times. If they follow the contract, you have no grievance. The slate book probably should have been revised, not extended

We had a controller who wanted to use holiday leave on July 4th. They had to come in for staffing requirements in the morning but they could have been cut loose in the evening. They told the sup they wanted to take holiday for the rest of the day and our sup denied it so they could be on ground while our sole trainee who has over 20 years of experience and is 6 months from retirement could work local with zero traffic for NTI. Sup ended up getting the controller off position 15 minutes before their regularly scheduled time to leave, basically making them work a full 8 hours, then signed the person out 15 minutes early on annual leave instead of holiday. The controller saw that and thought it would be stupid to sit around since the leave was already charged so they left, and when they confronted the sup about it the next day the sup got all defensive. “Well you said you wanted to leave early, and I saw you drive out the gate so you obviously used it”. Yeah, because YOU went ahead and charged it and signed them out without their permission. Then the sup tried to guilt the controller into just eating the leave - “do you know how much paperwork I’d have to do to get that time back for you? It’s just 15 minutes, are you sure you can’t let it go?” But don’t worry, that sup is becoming our ATM next month so it’ll only go up from here ?

I was trying to figure out why his name was 123456, then he said he was a supervisor. Makes sense.
We had a controller who wanted to use holiday leave on July 4th. They had to come in for staffing requirements in the morning but they could have been cut loose in the evening. They told the sup they wanted to take holiday for the rest of the day and our sup denied it so they could be on ground while our sole trainee who has over 20 years of experience and is 6 months from retirement could work local with zero traffic for NTI. Sup ended up getting the controller off position 15 minutes before their regularly scheduled time to leave, basically making them work a full 8 hours, then signed the person out 15 minutes early on annual leave instead of holiday. The controller saw that and thought it would be stupid to sit around since the leave was already charged so they left, and when they confronted the sup about it the next day the sup got all defensive. “Well you said you wanted to leave early, and I saw you drive out the gate so you obviously used it”. Yeah, because YOU went ahead and charged it and signed them out without their permission. Then the sup tried to guilt the controller into just eating the leave - “do you know how much paperwork I’d have to do to get that time back for you? It’s just 15 minutes, are you sure you can’t let it go?” But don’t worry, that sup is becoming our ATM next month so it’ll only go up from here ?
4 things:

OS is an idiot for the 15 minute of leave, he’ll fit in nicely with the other ATMs

He wasn't wrong for denying the holiday leave to train

No such thing as annual leave on holidays, it gets charged as holiday leave

Doesn't matter about devs experience or retirement date, if he doesn't train for that reason he can file EEO complaint.

And another thing, it takes two minutes to amend a timecard. That sup sucks.

Question for everyone here....

So we have trainees who would take leave one day (AL or SL). When they come back management is telling them to go over the NTI so they can make the facility goal (NTI is 12.5 hours and they facility goal is 15 hours). Management's argument is we can assign work. Anyone else have this issue going on at their facilities? Rep here basically said they can assign work and oh well ?

Also, management took impediments off the spreadsheet like weather, trainer fatigue etc etc etc... Rep here... ?‍♂️

Question for everyone here....

So we have trainees who would take leave one day (AL or SL). When they come back management is telling them to go over the NTI so they can make the facility goal (NTI is 12.5 hours and they facility goal is 15 hours). Management's argument is we can assign work. Anyone else have this issue going on at their facilities? Rep here basically said they can assign work and oh well ?

Also, management took impediments off the spreadsheet like weather, trainer fatigue etc etc etc... Rep here... ?‍♂️
Everyday is training day!

I heard the NTI was put in place because someone somewhere got 6 hours in a month for no reason

I heard the NTI was put in place because someone somewhere got 6 hours in a month for no reason
It was put in place because there are so many trainees/CPC-ITs in the agency, and the agency wants people to get certified. They met their hiring goals yet still haven’t increased staffing.

I’m not for the agency stupidity. This was just relayed through my facrep.

Training 3 hours a day should be the minimum everywhere.

It was put in place because there are so many trainees/CPC-ITs in the agency, and the agency wants people to get certified. They met their hiring goals yet still haven’t increased staffing.

I’m not for the agency stupidity. This was just relayed through my facrep.

Training 3 hours a day should be the minimum everywhere.

I'm fine with that... I'm not fine with if a trainee takes leave they are making them make up hours to reach the goal. Where is that in the NTI?

I'm fine with that... I'm not fine with if a trainee takes leave they are making them make up hours to reach the goal. Where is that in the NTI?
Well the NTI is a training goal per week, not per day so if the trainee takes one day of leave the number of hours the other days increases to meet the weekly goal.... simple math.

Well the NTI is a training goal per week, not per day so if the trainee takes one day of leave the number of hours the other days increases to meet the weekly goal.... simple math.
Isn't leave an impediment? So if that is the case they didn't meet the NTI due to the leave impediment. I didn't see anywhere in the NTI that states they SHALL meet the goal and if they take leave THEY SHALL make up the time.

Isn't leave an impediment? So if that is the case they didn't meet the NTI due to the leave impediment. I didn't see anywhere in the NTI that states they SHALL meet the goal and if they take leave THEY SHALL make up the time.
Listen, FLM"s gotta look good to the ATM, who has to look good to the GM, who approves all that bonus money for exceeding the mandate not a mandate. If you give me crap I'll send 1/2/3/4/5/6/ Alpha Charlies to you for pattern work.

Listen, FLM"s gotta look good to the ATM, who has to look good to the GM, who approves all that bonus money for exceeding the mandate not a mandate. If you give me crap I'll send 1/2/3/4/5/6/ Alpha Charlies to you for pattern work.
I can give 2 shits about their bonus money. The fact that they treat it as a mandate and Natca states over and over again it is a goal.... Makes this absurd

Sure but if if the OS lists "leave" as the reason the NTI isn't met then they will e asked why they are approving leave and we all just go in one big circle. It just depends which side of the circle you're on (ironic because circles have no sides) and what your priorities are. Upper management wants to meet the NTI to please the bean counters and get their bonus. OS just wants upper management to stop asking questions so they try to meet the NTI. Trainee, in theory, wants to certify so they should want to train. In theory it should work get. But life. And bean counters don't care about life and only care about the numbers.

Sure but if if the OS lists "leave" as the reason the NTI isn't met then they will e asked why they are approving leave and we all just go in one big circle. It just depends which side of the circle you're on (ironic because circles have no sides) and what your priorities are. Upper management wants to meet the NTI to please the bean counters and get their bonus. OS just wants upper management to stop asking questions so they try to meet the NTI. Trainee, in theory, wants to certify so they should want to train. In theory it should work get. But life. And bean counters don't care about life and only care about the numbers.
I have a theory that alternate universes exist and I am Emperor, the reality however is… you see where I’m going with this

Yah the NTI is great. No more BS reasons to just not train

I enjoyed not training for 10-15 days because traffic was "too light" for where I was at in training. Aka, my trainers were on leave or not on my shift and the trainers I did line up with hated training.

I still think NTI is a bit over the top. Maybe 10 hours a week would have been better. I transferred and trained 3-4 hours a day at my new facility and it's kind of draining and not a lot of time to really soak in much it felt like. But some facilities really suck... while I liked my last facility, pre-NTI their goal was 1hr a day of training. That's terrible.

The NTI is good for progression in the facility but if your success rates are going down because nobody has time to soak in all that NAHLEDGE then it’s really not benefiting anyone.

Back
Top Bottom