May (Q3) 2022

I agree that it’s the agency’s fault. It starts with the hiring. Unfortunately, they aren’t taking many steps to improve that part of it. It shouldn’t be such a process to get people in the door.

We don’t need to be washing 50% of the people out at magical Academyland. Give them a chance at the facilities. Everything at the academy is so subjective. Just stop with the nonsense. You need to weed out the worst of the worst and then give everyone else a chance to work REAL traffic.
Some of the new people we get now can barely do the job and have a very shaky foundation of air traffic skills. Can you imagine if they washed out less in Oklahoma City?

Explain. I'm listening. And then I'll explain to you how 2 (ex) BUEs waltz out of our facility as SUPs when we were below "deviation" #s. The past 3 NCEPTs we were too short to let BUEs go on NCEPT but we magically had staffing to fill 2 SUP jobs...at other facilities. So, again, please help my ignorance. I've learned that everyday is training day...that's NATCA's too, isn't it? I might be too new to know those things.
ARTICLE 5 MANAGEMENT RIGHTS
Section 1. In accordance with the provisions contained in 5 USC 7106, management rights:
(a) Subject to subsection (b) of this section, nothing in this chapter shall affect the authority of any management official of any Agency-
(1) to determine the mission, budget, organization, number of employees, and internal security practices of the Agency; and
(2) in accordance with applicable laws-
(A) to hire, assign, direct, layoff, and retain employees in the Agency, or to suspend, remove, reduce in grade or pay, or to take other disciplinary action against such employees;

It's cut and dry man. Hate on the union all you want, but they legally can't do the things you're asking. Again, having any say in it at all is a feat in and of itself.

Explain. I'm listening. And then I'll explain to you how 2 (ex) BUEs waltz out of our facility as SUPs when we were below "deviation" #s. The past 3 NCEPTs we were too short to let BUEs go on NCEPT but we magically had staffing to fill 2 SUP jobs...at other facilities. So, again, please help my ignorance. I've learned that everyday is training day...that's NATCA's too, isn't it? I might be too new to know those things.
There’s no such thing as “below deviation #s”

Yeah everyone wants to leave. It took me 5 years door to door. Could have been sooner but we had 5 hardships and 2 resignations. Against all odds we released 3 in the last 2 panels and 1 to an OS bid. It feels like the big problem from my facility perspective is that the faa fills undesirable facilities very reactively. We haven’t seen a trainee in the door in over 2 years and we have 3 checking in on the same day in a week.
You must be at BIS

Are all of the recent ERR’s still 1 year release dates? I seem to remember some getting 18 months as well for some reason.

Quick disclaimer for anyone looking at the Possible Gains on the NCEPT Priority List and getting their hopes up:

That is gains to the National Projected % to Target and not necessarily the available gains according to the rules of this panel. CLT, for instance, is showing 2 Possible Gains on the Priority List but they are actually ineligible to select because their current staffing is above 85%. LAX is showing 7 Possible Gains but they are eligible for zero for the same reason. Same for LGA, EWR, etc.

This could be the slowest panel yet in terms of movement

Ill always be a fan of local bids on USAJOBS but it's never going to happen. Get local people that have roots where they are apply to the facility that's right next door. Will they leave? Maybe, but I doubt it's as likely as the dude from NYC getting shipped to fucking Louisiana. I also agree that so many people shouldn't be washed at the Academy. Plus the Academy doesn't even do that great of a job anyways. Everyone has seen that dirtbag trainee that you have no clue how they made it through the Academy and yet here they are getting hundreds of hours to train. Just send people straight to the facility, make the training department do their job and train them on the local stuff.

Ill always be a fan of local bids on USAJOBS but it's never going to happen. Get local people that have roots where they are apply to the facility that's right next door. Will they leave? Maybe, but I doubt it's as likely as the dude from NYC getting shipped to fucking Louisiana. I also agree that so many people shouldn't be washed at the Academy. Plus the Academy doesn't even do that great of a job anyways. Everyone has seen that dirtbag trainee that you have no clue how they made it through the Academy and yet here they are getting hundreds of hours to train. Just send people straight to the facility, make the training department do their job and train them on the local stuff.
The majority of terminal training departments are absolutely not capable of teaching people from the ground up. We should not be teaching air traffic 101 at the facilities.

The majority of terminal training departments are absolutely not capable of teaching people from the ground up. We should not be teaching air traffic 101 at the facilities.
Agree, that would be a complete shit show. The academy has a purpose, like everything it's not perfect. It does need to weed some out who cannot keep up with the program or lack the basic abilities. It is surprising however how bad some people are that make it to the facilities, and I'm sure more than a small amount of possible good controllers failed the PVs by making one too many mistakes at the wrong time.

So my facility is exactly 85% staffed, projected above 85% staffed, yet it's showing 0 releases. If at look at a couple other facilities that are in the same spot (exactly at 85% staffing), they're in the same boat for 0 releases. Am I missing something, or can we still release according to the rules of the panel?

So my facility is exactly 85% staffed, projected above 85% staffed, yet it's showing 0 releases. If at look at a couple other facilities that are in the same spot (exactly at 85% staffing), they're in the same boat for 0 releases. Am I missing something, or can we still release according to the rules of the panel?
Is it at or above 85%? Or above 85%?

Is it at or above 85%? Or above 85%?
Releasing facility must be at or above 85% current % CPC to target and at or above 85% projected % to target.
I see what you are talking about... I can't see anything obvious. Contact your regional NCEPT Rep to verify, but you all should be able to lose 2 (I think).

At or above. Don’t look at losses on PPT. Hasn’t been relevant in 2 years

Back
Top Bottom