Feb 2018

sorry not sure what forum to ask ...if you signed a TOL from last ncept, and FOL within next week or two, can you still bid on a supervisor opening and be considered?
I'm hesitant to lash out cuz SNation could've just made a naive post but it's important for you to really try and get a full understanding of the culture of the place you're going to because they do vary drastically. I don't know what it's like where you are now or where you're going but this kind of shit can possibly be a real issue for someone trying to train at the wrong facility.

I'm hesitant to lash out cuz SNation could've just made a naive post but it's important for you to really try and get a full understanding of the culture of the place you're going to because they do vary drastically. I don't know what it's like where you are now or where you're going but this kind of shit can possibly be a real issue for someone trying to train at the wrong facility.
I know a person that was selected off an ERR (before ncept) to come to a facility. Was given around a 2 year release and accepted it. Then saw an FLM opening posted for the same facility. Applied for that, was selected, and was at the facility within a year as a supervisor. Most people didn't think it was any kind of issue.
SNation may be in the same situation, or it could be different facilities (most likely I think.) It sounds to me like he has no problem going as a controller to a facility, but sees an opportunity to get somewhere he'd rather be.

I’ve always said I would bid a sup job in order to get to my dream facility if opportunity arise (since getting picked as CPC is nearly impossible.) Unfortunately the timing of the sup opening with me being picked up was off. I’m very happy with the facility I got picked up for and intend to go. My post was extremely hypothetical. Just wanted an answer so I can entertain that scenario in my head.
Apply for it and see what happens.

I’ve always said I would bid a sup job in order to get to my dream facility if opportunity arise (since getting picked as CPC is nearly impossible.) Unfortunately the timing of the sup opening with me being picked up was off. I’m very happy with the facility I got picked up for and intend to go. My post was extremely hypothetical. Just wanted an answer so I can entertain that scenario in my head.
In that situation, put in for it. As long as you have a good head on your shoulders you should be fine. Everyone has a dream facility, you never know when it may become available again.

I know a person that was selected off an ERR (before ncept) to come to a facility. Was given around a 2 year release and accepted it. Then saw an FLM opening posted for the same facility. Applied for that, was selected, and was at the facility within a year as a supervisor. Most people didn't think it was any kind of issue.
SNation may be in the same situation, or it could be different facilities (most likely I think.) It sounds to me like he has no problem going as a controller to a facility, but sees an opportunity to get somewhere he'd rather be.
Yeah my post wasn't generalizing in any way. The point really was to make sure you fully understand that specific context. If you took a spot in NCEPT and then you bid a FLM job and don't get it there are certainly places where it's going to rub people the wrong way. If you get it there might be people that are also upset about that but they can't really effect you anymore in most cases.
Also 'before NCEPT' is a different story.

If you took a spot in NCEPT and then you bid a FLM job and don't get it there are certainly places where it's going to rub people the wrong way
In that situation though, you'd still have your TOL/FOL for your NCEPT release so it wouldn't matter if you don't get the FLM job.

In that situation though, you'd still have your TOL/FOL for your NCEPT release so it wouldn't matter if you don't get the FLM job.
I'm not sure how else to word this. I mean if you take an NCEPT spot - and then bid a sup job - which is some circumstances is a big fuck you to the NATCA brother next to you because an NCEPT release can be zero-sum, and you don't get the sup job, then you show up to your new facility through NCEPT, there are undoubtedly places, depending on where it is (again, exact context) where there's going to be people who write you off before day 1. And that could be bad for your career.
I'm just trying to help the guy so he doesn't do this inadvertently. It's also possibly this situation doesn't even apply.

The FAA is very small. If someone doesn't know you, chances are they know someone that does or knows someone that knows someone that does. No matter what the situation is, people will hear about it and draw their own conclusions. More times than not, it will be a negative conclusion.

The FAA is very small. If someone doesn't know you, chances are they know someone that does or knows someone that knows someone that does. No matter what the situation is, people will hear about it and draw their own conclusions. More times than not, it will be a negative conclusion.
We've had this underlying debate for awhile. I'm convinced the entire FAA is one degree of separation.

Can I get another set of eyes on TMB? Based on their numbers, it looks like they could release 1 or perhaps 2 on the Feb. ERR.....

I'm not sure how else to word this. I mean if you take an NCEPT spot - and then bid a sup job - which is some circumstances is a big fuck you to the NATCA brother next to you because an NCEPT release can be zero-sum, and you don't get the sup job, then you show up to your new facility through NCEPT, there are undoubtedly places, depending on where it is (again, exact context) where there's going to be people who write you off before day 1. And that could be bad for your career.
I'm just trying to help the guy so he doesn't do this inadvertently. It's also possibly this situation doesn't even apply.

I just find it hard to believe that people at my new facility would care at all if I had applied for a supervisor job in the past.

Pre-NCEPT I'd have some questions. Post-NCEPT I wouldn't bat an eye. You have to do what you have to do to move anywhere now.

Back
Top Bottom